The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

It's dragging on down here in the south.   Because the fires are in inaccessible wilderness/forest areas the fire crews can't get in to fight them.  They have to rely on water bombing from the air to slow them down - but that never extinguishes them completely - then wait for the fires to burn to a road or come out of the forest on to farmland before they can really control them.    Some of the forests have such thick canopies that water being dropped from the air isn't penetrating to the forest floor.    Very draining for the poor residents just waiting....waiting.  And the smoke has been horrendous in some areas:   the beautiful Huon Valley is particularly suffering from smoke.   Hobart too when the wind is blowing from particular directions.

It won't really be over until we get a good few inches of rain - and nothing is on the horizon at the moment.  We've just had our hottest and driest January since records began in 1886.

• Sad 1

Oh that's terrible for you all.  So frightening.  Incredible direst since l886.  Just shows how the climate change is something we all should have taken

more notice of  years ago.  We were warned but no-one believed what the scientists were saying.  What goes around comes around!   

Take care everyone

4 minutes ago, libbye said:

Looks idyllic.  Where is it and where are all the people? lol

It is very nice spot.  It's Bluff Beach - a few minutes walk from the house.  That is the view from the cafe/bar - just to show how relaxing it is usually but today it was really busy.  Lots of people swimming and children playing in the sand and even more people chilling and listening to the music.  We spoke to a couple on holiday from Queensland.  They are doing a big walk around Cradle Mountain tomorrow then in May they are off to Scotland on another big walk near Inverness.  People do get around don't they.  🙂

Weather for the next week here in Devonport.  Could do with some more rain mind you.

Friday:                      Max:    23                                  Min:    11     Sunny

Saturday:               Max:     23                                  Min:    11      Sunny

Sunday:                   Max:    21                                  Min:    13      Sunny

Monday:                  Max:   22                                  Min:     13      Sunny

Tuesday:                 Max:   24                                  Min:     12       Sunny

Wednesday:           Max:   21                                 Min:      14       Sunny

Thursday:                Max:   23                                 Min:     16       Sunny

Friday:                      Max:    26                                Min:      16       Sunny

• Like 1

Today and yesterday just a bit too warm for me here in Devonport.  Wish it would rain.  Forecast for next week.  Roll on autumn weather.

Saturday:               Max:     26                                  Min:    18      Sunny

Sunday:                   Max:    24                                  Min:    13      Cloudy

Monday:                  Max:   24                                  Min:     12      Sunny

Tuesday:                 Max:   22                                  Min:     12       Sunny

Wednesday:           Max:   18                                 Min:       8        Cloudy

Thursday:                Max:   18                                 Min:     13       Sunny

Friday:                      Max:    21                                Min:      10       Sunny

Saturday:                Max:    20                                Min:       11       Sunny

54 minutes ago, Toots said:

Today and yesterday just a bit too warm for me here in Devonport.  Wish it would rain.  Forecast for next week.  Roll on autumn weather.

Saturday:               Max:     26                                  Min:    18      Sunny

Sunday:                   Max:    24                                  Min:    13      Cloudy

Monday:                  Max:   24                                  Min:     12      Sunny

Tuesday:                 Max:   22                                  Min:     12       Sunny

Wednesday:           Max:   18                                 Min:       8        Cloudy

Thursday:                Max:   18                                 Min:     13       Sunny

Friday:                      Max:    21                                Min:      10       Sunny

Saturday:                Max:    20                                Min:       11       Sunny

We will be there in 2 weeks so would like it like this for a bit longer please 😀. Although, I see the forecast for Huonville is 38C today which is a bit too hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

We will be there in 2 weeks so would like it like this for a bit longer please 😀. Although, I see the forecast for Huonville is 38C today which is a bit too hot.

We've just hit 39 here in Hobart - the hottest March day in 137 years of record keeping.  Although I heard that the Bureau of Met. is forecasting snow for the top of the mountain on Wednesday night. 😯

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Skani said:

We've just hit 39 here in Hobart - the hottest March day in 137 years of record keeping.  Although I heard that the Bureau of Met. is forecasting snow for the top of the mountain on Wednesday night. 😯

Everywhere is looking so parched.  It's hot enough for me here today.  It reached 27C.  We went to watch the Devonport Triathlon earlier.  The swimming part would have been OK but just standing watching the running and cycling out of the shade was to much for wimpy me.  😶  Glad to be back home in the cool house.  I think that is almost the end of the warmer weather - at least I hope it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

There were fires in January in the Huon Valley.  ☹️  The south of Tasmania and the Midlands have had very hot weather this summer.  Shouldn't be so bad when you arrive.  

8 minutes ago, Toots said:

The south of Tasmania and the Midlands have had very hot weather this summer. 

Yes,   January was the hottest and driest month on record in Hobart.   When it wasn't disgustingly hot  (by my standards  😀) it was disgustingly smokey....or both.  I wasn't a happy little camper.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Toots said:

There were fires in January in the Huon Valley.  ☹️  The south of Tasmania and the Midlands have had very hot weather this summer.  Shouldn't be so bad when you arrive.  

Yes, the fires were very alarming, we'll by driving through Miena as well which was also affected by fires. I just don't want to have spend my whole holiday wearing jeans and fleeces and a waterproof 😁

5 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Yes, the fires were very alarming, we'll by driving through Miena as well which was also affected by fires. I just don't want to have spend my whole holiday wearing jeans and fleeces and a waterproof 😁

Well I hope you don't have to either but it's coming up to the time of year when the weather can be very changeable.  I do hope it rains steadily for a few days but keeps dry whilst you are on holiday.  😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Devonport weather for the week.

Tuesday:                 Max:    17                                  Min:      6       Sunny

Wednesday:           Max:    16                                 Min:       7       Sunny

Thursday:                Max:    19                                 Min:     10       Sunny

Friday:                      Max:     21                                 Min:      12       Sunny

Saturday:                Max:     22                                 Min:      14       Sunny

Sunday:                   Max:     22                                 Min:       15       Sunny

Monday:                  Max:     22                                 Min:       14       Sunny

Tuesday:                 Max:      22                                Min:        14       Sunny

• 2 weeks later...

A big change in our weather overnight here on the north west coast of Tassie.  A massive thunderstorm during the night with torrential rain.  Apparently there were over 40,000 lightning strikes over Tasmania.  This morning there are gale force winds off the Bass Strait and it's showery interspersed with sunshine.  14C 

5 hours ago, Toots said:

A big change in our weather overnight here on the north west coast of Tassie.  A massive thunderstorm during the night with torrential rain.  Apparently there were over 40,000 lightning strikes over Tasmania.  This morning there are gale force winds off the Bass Strait and it's showery interspersed with sunshine.  14C 

We spent the last 2 nights in Penguin, no thunder but the wind was incredible.