Where is best to live for bricklaying jobs

Thomcat

All of the project builders have a bricklayer shortgage. East coast is critical . Houses are just sitting around as cannot get bricklayers. Income has nearly doubled in last few years. Easily bring home $3000 plus a week if you are good at what you do. Government has put together groups trying to get youngsters wanting to become bricklayers . Not have much luck though . Commercial contractors are already starting bringing in overseas workers trying to tackle the problem. Building companies are desperate mate. We gone from getting 80 c a brick to near $2 a brick because of shortage.

This is my understanding of Sydney at the moment , Hunter valley flat out as well, with new towns being built

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. My partner and I are considering making the move to Oz with our two children.

He is an experienced bricklayer with 25 yrs experience and has nvq3. He currently earns around £1000 per week but we want a better life for our children.

We were thinking of Perth but can anyone help,

Is there work in Perth?

Any idea of wages?

Where in place would anyone recommend for a family to live. We like the quiet life now and we are in to our health and fitness.

We're open to other cities so does anyone have any recent experience of bricklaying in Sydney, adelaide or Brisbane?

Many thanks

Have a look at Brisbane, we have been here a few years now and too wanted a better life for our children.. We were lucky and found a great suburb straight away that ticks most of our boxes and i can honestly say the kids have stayed kids longer compared to their UK cousins,, building is happening all over South Brisbane too so hubby may be ok job wise too..

Good luck with everything

Cal x

Warmer climate, a country that isn't governed by Brussels, a country that doesn't allow terrorists to walk the streets, a country that does not allow the free movement of people from other countries that have nothing to offer... I could go on and on.

Warmer climate you'll certainly get. As for the rest -

Australia is a bit like the EU, each state has its own government and they all squabble like a bunch of kids and refuse to work together (stupid things like needing to change your driver's licence if you move state!), while the Federal Govt in Canberra holds the purse strings.

Since you were in Oz 15 years ago there has been a huge increase in the number of migrants from Middle Eastern countries and there is a lot of trouble with extremist imams etc, just like the UK. Remember the Bali bombing? The government has made a huge thing out of "turning back the boats" - but Australia does still accept refugees. I think the figure for this year is about 25,000.

The thing we notice most here in Southampton, though, is the lack of Oriental faces - they are in the majority in large parts of Sydney. It's true there are few Eastern Europeans other than the influx of Serbs, Croats and Bosnians after the Balkan wars, but New Zealands and Pacific Islanders do have freedom of movement and they're around in large numbers.

It sounds like you'll have plenty of work but do also look at house prices before you decide on location. Sydney is the most expensive city, then Canberra, then Melbourne. Look on domain.com.au, realestate.com.au, allhomes.com.au to get an idea of prices. In Sydney, most migrants end up hours from the beach in the far west.

I'm not saying you shouldn't come to Oz, and it may well offer what you're looking for - just pointing out that every country has advantages AND disadvantages, and Australia is no exception.

Edited by Marisawright

Many thanks for all taking the time to respond. You've all given me something to think about.

I think we're all guilty at some point of thinking the grass is greener. :-) x

Definitely the case! I think it's particularly true when you think of Australia, because in the not-so-distance past, the grass was certainly greener in Oz. When I arrived in Australia 30 years ago, jobs were there for the taking (I applied for three jobs and got offered all three), housing was cheap, pay was high - bliss! In the last ten years or so, things have slowly changed - to the point that one of the reasons I'm back in the UK was that I simply can't afford to live in Sydney in my retirement.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a lovely country and I loved living there - but nowadays I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better life in Oz, it's just a different life. Some people love it, some people hate it. The main thing is not to imagine that it's cushioned away from life in the big wide world - there are drugs and racial problems and poverty just like any other Western country, no worse no better. So if you're going to move, move because you can see Australia offers you benefits - don't move because you're running away from something.

Hi i saw your post and would like to convey my experience at the moment,I came her just over 2 years ago and they were screaming out for brickies here, even letting laborers put down bricks.Now a recession has or is hitting perth and work is drying up. For the first time in 2 years i am finding that iv only got 2 to 3 days work at best. When you first come its tough gangs try it on and offer 250 a day to start with this sounds a lot but is almost half of what brickies are or should be on,also i had the usual game of trying to get paid etc. They also use profiles here and work is full on from 6am until 2 or 3 depending on the main guys mood that day. It killed me for the first few months. I went on to do maintenance which a lot of english do because the aussis are trained to do one job and thats it, if you say you can do several trades they just go all misty eyed and simply dont believe it is possible.

Work is so bad im thinking of returning to the uk until things pick up.I have just spent ayear at college gettng my builders registration because you are not allowed to build without it. if you need any advice please ask. I eont run the place down but be frank.One thing i will say they are incredibly focused on youngsters learning a trade and support them all the way.Something that they would never get in the UK.

Once your over their inability to drive you can cope, good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there my family and I moved back to the uk a year ago, and before that we lived in Perth for 9 years. We are looking to move back but worried as my hubby is a brickie and all you hear about is how slow things are in the construction side of things, can anybody give me any feedback regarding construction ??.