Which visa...if any???

Alix Fisher

So I am currently on a working holiday visa 417, I am a qualified radiographer. I am in the process of applying for AHPRA etc.. I have contacted several radiography firms who have said that I CAN get sponsorship on a 457 visa. However, I don't meet the skills assessment by AIR. because I don't have 2 years post grad required by them. Now, my plans are to work as a radiographer here in on for a maximum of 6 months with 2 employers or locum work, but the issue is I still won't be eligible for 457 sponsorship. Is there any other long term visas that don't require skills assessment?? I am hoping to find a way around this. If not it means doing as much rad work in Oz as possible, then going elsewhere (anywhere but home- UK!!!) for the duration, thus being more costly etc etc. any help or advice appreciated... So gutted to not be able to get 457 sponsorship. AIR won't waiver the 2 year standard either even if I can garuentee sponsorship with a company for however many years. So annoying!!! :(

Thank you in advance,

Alix.

If you are an occupation that requires a skills assessment for a 457 - some do and some don't - then there is nothing else you can do. The other visas would require a skills assessment.

You should be aware that APHRA can take a fair few months to complete as well - I have seen many waiting 8 months or so.

So I am currently on a working holiday visa 417, I am a qualified radiographer. I am in the process of applying for AHPRA etc.. I have contacted several radiography firms who have said that I CAN get sponsorship on a 457 visa. However, I don't meet the skills assessment by AIR. because I don't have 2 years post grad required by them. Now, my plans are to work as a radiographer here in on for a maximum of 6 months with 2 employers or locum work, but the issue is I still won't be eligible for 457 sponsorship. Is there any other long term visas that don't require skills assessment?? I am hoping to find a way around this. If not it means doing as much rad work in Oz as possible, then going elsewhere (anywhere but home- UK!!!) for the duration, thus being more costly etc etc. any help or advice appreciated... So gutted to not be able to get 457 sponsorship. AIR won't waiver the 2 year standard either even if I can garuentee sponsorship with a company for however many years. So annoying!!! :(

Thank you in advance,

Alix.

You do not need a skills assessment for a 457 visa in your profession, but to practise you must be registered.

I do, I messaged AIR the regulatory body for Radiographers and they said for the 457 visa you need 2 years post grad minimum to even apply as part of the skills assessment

AIR can only give advice on the skills assessment and not qualified or allowed to give visa advice. Speak to a registered migration agent.

You may need 2 years for a successful skills assessment, but a Radiographer from the UK does not need a skills assessment for a 457 visa. Only certain occupations (Radiographer is not one of them) and applicants from certain countries (UK is not one of them) need skills assessments for a 457 visa.

So either way I can't go on the 457 as it won't be classed as successful? I'm so confused please excuse me! From what I gather with the lady at AIR, I have to register with these for the 457 visa as that's the regulatory body. Where can I find this info on the Immi website I'm having trouble in finding it in black and white. Thanks for your help :)

Edited by Alix Fisher

Thank you in advance,

Alix.

Hi Alix,

You are eligible now to apply for a 457 visa as a radiographer. If you are working in a designated regional area, and you hold your full registration or licencing, you are eligible to be sponsored on a 187 Direct Entry visa (PR), and you do NOT need a skill assessment.

Joy

I do, I messaged AIR the regulatory body for Radiographers and they said for the 457 visa you need 2 years post grad minimum to even apply as part of the skills assessment

I sometime wonder why I bother.

You have been given incorrect migration information by a person, presumably in Australia and presumably not a registered migration agent.

People who practise as unregistered migration agents in Australia are breaking the law and may be subject to fines of up to $6600 or imprisonment for up to 10 years.

if you want to report an unregistered person, you can contact the Immigration Dob-in Line: telephone 1800 009 623 (free of charge).