How do you spend Christmas/Boxing Day Aus style?

RMT1980

Err Christmas this year will be a very quite one just myself, Mother in law and hubby. Both kids are out of the country this year. As both of us have been given the awful news this week in all likely hood we will have no jobs the end of December and both children not being home it's lost it's appeal. I'd be happy just sleep the whole day away.

Err Christmas this year will be a very quite one just myself, Mother in law and hubby. Both kids are out of the country this year. As both of us have been given the awful news this week in all likely hood we will have no jobs the end of December and both children not being home it's lost it's appeal. I'd be happy just sleep the whole day away.

Really sorry to hear that. I recall you both work on a vineyard.

Really sorry to hear that. I recall you both work on a vineyard.

Thank you yes that's correct it's all a bit up the air in at the moment. It's a bit of it could be end of December or possibly early April. Basically the company that runs the vineyard on behalf of the company that owns it has withdrawn from the lease of property early due to a dispute about crop yeilds and price of crop. We suffered a very bad loss of crop in 2013 due to frost and the lease company saw this as a chance to get a better deal ( some clause in the contract about natural disasters) three court cases and two years later we find ourselves and 18 other employees facing an uncertain future. Honestly it's the not knowing that is doing my head in... and to go now would mean a big financial loss to us in terms of redundancy and the cheeky buggers have said if we all stay to the bitter in there's an extra bonus for us all. Basically they're using us all to keep the bloody crop alive and healthy just as it's almost ready to harvest. I'd love to tell them to go stick it but burn't bridges and all that....

Thank you yes that's correct it's all a bit up the air in at the moment. It's a bit of it could be end of December or possibly early April. Basically the company that runs the vineyard on behalf of the company that owns it has withdrawn from the lease of property early due to a dispute about crop yeilds and price of crop. We suffered a very bad loss of crop in 2013 due to frost and the lease company saw this as a chance to get a better deal ( some clause in the contract about natural disasters) three court cases and two years later we find ourselves and 18 other employees facing an uncertain future. Honestly it's the not knowing that is doing my head in... and to go now would mean a big financial loss to us in terms of redundancy and the cheeky buggers have said if we all stay to the bitter in there's an extra bonus for us all. Basically they're using us all to keep the bloody crop alive and healthy just as it's almost ready to harvest. I'd love to tell them to go stick it but burn't bridges and all that....

Feel for you both both, facing redundancy is an awful experience.

I feel for you both. From what you have said here is there not a good chance that a vineyard would stay albeit with new owners. My really limited knowledge of viniculture is that it takes years to develop mature vines. Are there alternative plans for the land itself?

Uncertainty for the future is awful but is there a decent chance of a positive outcome?

I feel for you both. From what you have said here is there not a good chance that a vineyard would stay albeit with new owners. My really limited knowledge of viniculture is that it takes years to develop mature vines. Are there alternative plans for the land itself?

Uncertainty for the future is awful but is there a decent chance of a positive outcome?

The vineyard itself is owned by a large international Hong Kong based company they own many vineyards in Australia. They also have other agriculture investmenst here as well as gas and electricity investment. Can't see them just turning the water off and letting it die. So yes the possibility of employment with the new management company is there. Some hope lol. The ball as they say is in the owners hands at this point. From what we know some talk on harvesting the crop are still ongoing with both companies. As i say not knowing going forward what might happen is awful/ I'm not one for just sitting still and waiting things out so this is doing my head in. Lack of control and all that. Anyway Merry Christmas to you all.

Yes i was feeling sorry for myself and having a self pity party somewhat. However what's happened in Paris just slapped me in the face and put my concerns and self pity into perspective. I'm alive i have a roof over my head food on the table and a family that loves me. In the big scheme of life what more could one want.

The vineyard itself is owned by a large international Hong Kong based company they own many vineyards in Australia. They also have other agriculture investmenst here as well as gas and electricity investment. Can't see them just turning the water off and letting it die. So yes the possibility of employment with the new management company is there. Some hope lol. The ball as they say is in the owners hands at this point. From what we know some talk on harvesting the crop are still ongoing with both companies. As i say not knowing going forward what might happen is awful/ I'm not one for just sitting still and waiting things out so this is doing my head in. Lack of control and all that. Anyway Merry Christmas to you all.

Who knows it could bring new beginnings?

Merry Christmas to you too.

[video=youtube;kyciMYZq2-Y]

• 1 month later...

We will be up before our daughter, she sleeps like no one I've ever known! We usually send in the choccie labs to rouse her, then mad screaming, firstly from daughter opening pressies then secondly from husband when he remembers how redicoulsly kids toys are packed in boxes and everything has to be opened like now, then thirdly from me in despair when we realise we needed to stock up on batteries ha ha!! Then friends arrive, champers toast, more presents exchanged then a day in the sun and the pool, we do a massive platter of salad and crayfish (will be caught this weekend!) and my favourite as I'm a veggie, haloumi! Lots more champers and nibbles all day, Christmas songs playing lots of chatter and fun and then eventually we will sit down in the evening to turkey and some good old uk favourites, yes crackers (never get used to bonbons!) party hats and of course Yorkshire puddings! Eventually the kids go to bed, exhausted and happy and we sit watching the sun go down while we put the world,to rights over more champers, not s second of TV the whole day, although I would break that rule if they ever did a new Only Fools and Horses ha ha!!!

Archived