Snakes

bristolman

Many people in Australia have no idea how to behave when confronted by a snake, not just migrants by any means but born and bred Aussies also. In 99.9% of snake encounters there will be no interaction between the snake and the human, they will part company with neither being injured. In the remaining .1% either the human will be bitten, the snake kIlled or both. The vast majority of snake bites occur when humans try to kill the animal.

If you encounter a snake in the wild your best course of action is to slowly take a few steps backwards away from the snake, don't run as you may fall and place yourself in danger. A snake will only defend itself if it feels directly threatened.

If you encounter a snake on your property the same rule applies BUT you should also call a licensed snake catcher who will come and remove and relocate the snake.

You are coming into the season snakes are more active in most of Australia so be observant and don't walk into long grass or areas with lots of cover.

Observe a few simple rules and it is unlikely you will ever see a snake, they are far more scared of us than we are of them and they do their utmost to stay well clear.

Remember snake do way more good than harm.

2015-10-30 09.33.10.jpg

2015-10-30 09.33.10.jpg

I never saw one in the two years I was there. Had a few skinks in my garden but I could deal with them as they had legs! (Without legs they'd be a snake!)

I remember when I first arrived there was a leaflet in the junk mail for the 'Snake Removal Man' and I thought it was a joke at first and soon found out it wasn't. The leaflet stayed on the front of the fridge held in place by a magnet. Thankfully I never needed to phone him.

I never saw one in the two years I was there. Had a few skinks in my garden but I could deal with them as they had legs! (Without legs they'd be a snake!)

I remember when I first arrived there was a leaflet in the junk mail for the 'Snake Removal Man' and I thought it was a joke at first and soon found out it wasn't. The leaflet stayed on the front of the fridge held in place by a magnet. Thankfully I never needed to phone him.

Not strictly true, there are many species of legless lizard in Australia, much like the Slow Worm here in the UK. They are unfortunately often killed mistakenly.

The good thing about snakes is that they are there, doing their job, keeping down the number ers of rats and mice but people rarely see them.

* Don't watch this if your are squeamish *

Snake blood is a popular mixer in Asia. Thousands of snakes are killed for this. The result is, rice paddies are now crawling with rats and other vermin.

Yes unfortunately I have seen that before. As you say the result is being overrun with vermin.

Guest The Pom Queen

Great advice Chris, I have stood this thread for now.

The snakes are starting to come out up North. Unfortunately we had our first snake bite death this year a week ago in Townsville http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-26/north-queensland-snake-bite-death-prompts-warning/6885172 and a woman in Cairns got bit in her car, thankfully it wasn't one of the venemous ones but they still pack a punch. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-26/cairns-woman-released-from-hospital-after-snake-bite-in-her-car/6885982

Snake bites are rife in Melbourne at the minute with the Lort Smith reporting 20 pets bitten in the first 3 weeks of October http://www.lortsmith.com/article/1781/246/vets-alarmed-by-spate-of-deadly-snake-attacks/ that has to be the highest ive seen.

@bristolman it may be worth doing a "what to do if you have been bit" post.

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally apart from pet snakes, I've seen 3 when I worked as a wildlife ranger in Melbourne, 2 red bellied whilst out bush walking, 3 Browns, 3 metre pythons that loved eating our chickens in Cairns, we had numerous types that lived in our rainforest garden. Plus other species which I haven't known what they were, oh and I can't forget the one curled up asleep under the bonnet of the car giving Rob a heart attack when he popped the bonnet

oh and I can't forget the one curled up asleep under the bonnet of the car giving Rob a heart attack when he popped the bonnet

That would have given me a heart attack for sure, I can't stand them. It was bad enough when I was driving along one day and I had a huge huntsman appear next to my head on the INSIDE of the car window! I had to do an emergency stop and abandon the car on the highway only for it to fall inside the sill of the car somewhere when I opened the door and not outside on to the road. It took me ages to find it and shoo it out with my flip flop. Thank goodness those dramas are in the past!

Guest The Pom Queen
That would have given me a heart attack for sure, I can't stand them. It was bad enough when I was driving along one day and I had a huge huntsman appear next to my head on the INSIDE of the car window! I had to do an emergency stop and abandon the car on the highway only for it to fall inside the sill of the car somewhere when I opened the door and not outside on to the road. It took me ages to find it and shoo it out with my flip flop. Thank goodness those dramas are in the past!

That reminds me when I was driving home from work and as I went in the Burnley Tunnel a huge funnel web fell on to my windscreen, I love spiders but omg this one was the size of a saucer and had big hairy legs. I closed all the air vents and windows and when I got home I wouldn't get out of thr car until Rob checked it. We thought it had fallen off but three days later it appeared again.

That reminds me when I was driving home from work and as I went in the Burnley Tunnel a huge funnel web fell on to my windscreen, I love spiders but omg this one was the size of a saucer and had big hairy legs. I closed all the air vents and windows and when I got home I wouldn't get out of thr car until Rob checked it. We thought it had fallen off but three days later it appeared again.

:laugh:Hideous hon!lol

Many people in Australia have no idea how to behave when confronted by a snake, not just migrants by any means but born and bred Aussies also. In 99.9% of snake encounters there will be no interaction between the snake and the human, they will part company with neither being injured. In the remaining .1% either the human will be bitten, the snake kIlled or both. The vast majority of snake bites occur when humans try to kill the animal.

If you encounter a snake in the wild your best course of action is to slowly take a few steps backwards away from the snake, don't run as you may fall and place yourself in danger. A snake will only defend itself if it feels directly threatened.

If you encounter a snake on your property the same rule applies BUT you should also call a licensed snake catcher who will come and remove and relocate the snake.

You are coming into the season snakes are more active in most of Australia so be observant and don't walk into long grass or areas with lots of cover.

Observe a few simple rules and it is unlikely you will ever see a snake, they are far more scared of us than we are of them and they do their utmost to stay well clear.

Remember snake do way more good than harm.

That's my big fear snakes ...venomous or constricting .....if there is a programme on Nat geo on snakes,iam right there.

I k ow that that the inland taipan is the world most venomous....and 7 of the worlds top 10 are in oz .

I have huge respect for anyone who handles them ...i would **** myself .

I saw a few in w.a ...and had a mate lose his dog in minutes to a dugite .

Tiger snake ......run away .....

That's my big fear snakes ...venomous or constricting .....if there is a programme on Nat geo on snakes,iam right there.

I k ow that that the inland taipan is the world most venomous....and 7 of the worlds top 10 are in oz .

Used to go fishing along 'Beardy Waters' in the Glen Innes district of NSW and almost every outing would see, or come in contact with tigers. 11 is the most in one session. Had one come out of the water and 'hit' my boot at the water's edge...My 18 month old son was building sand castles only 1.5 metres behind me. Fortunately, the tiger decided to go back in the water instead of heading to the grass bordering the sand spit I was on.

Cheers, Bobj.

I actually met one of australias snakemen once .....you know on the Tele and all that ....if you have a taipan in your back garden call him in .....bloke was named Brian bush ?...brian bull ? .....he came to the local shopping centre with his glass tanks with various venomous snakes in .

Lovely bloke ....." Tell us a snake story Brian "......"and another "......"how big "...." You've been bitten how many times ".......

He was an instant legend ...story after story .....out went all my sporting heroes .

From now on Brian was the man ......he still is ,the mad bastard

Brian Bush is pretty much a legend amongst snake keepers in Australia and especially WA.

I spent a good 2 hours with him .....some of the stories ...bloody hell .

I have just looked ,and found his name and website...he must be good ,he ain't dead yet .

The last time I saw him was 1992...i told you he was a legend

Archived