Can I travel abroad within my first year in Australia on a PR Visa

Gabbyb73

As others say, you can leave any time you like on a PR visa, and can return whenever you want within the first five years of a PR visa - after that you would require a Resident Return Visa to re-enter Australia. You should be aware that if you are looking at being away for extended periods of timr (e.g. three months in a year, or more than a year in total) it can affect your qualification for citizenship.

Yep, free to come & go as you please. When you apply for citizenship they tack it on at the end, eg when I applied for citizenship (2007) you had to be living in Australia for 2 years as a PR (think it may only be 1 now) and any time overseas was added on, ie I spent a month overseas in that 2 years so it became 2 years & 1 month. Hope that makes sense.

Yep, free to come & go as you please. When you apply for citizenship they tack it on at the end, eg when I applied for citizenship (2007) you had to be living in Australia for 2 years as a PR (think it may only be 1 now) and any time overseas was added on, ie I spent a month overseas in that 2 years so it became 2 years & 1 month. Hope that makes sense.

This is now outdated. The requirements are to have lived in Australia for at least 4 years, the last one of which must be as a PR, and to have spent no more than 12 months overseas during the past four years and no more than 3 months overseas in the past year. If you exceed the limits, you have to start your clock ticking again.

Archived