Do i earn enough???

vincent321

Hi guys, i know there are probably 1000s of threads on the same topic but i can't find an up to date one that suits my situation. So basically i am 20 years old, recently got the opportunity to move to Perth (Welshpool) area with my trade as a transport refrigeration engineer. The company i would be working with have given me a minimum starting wage of $32 an hour which should go up within the first year, but what i am wondering is what sort of life style could i live off $32 an hour, minimum week of 40 hours plus as much overtime as i want so will proabably average 50 hour weeks.

The way i have worked it out is Rent would be 350 PW for a 2 bed house with parking (just from looking at renting websites)

Electric bills/Heating/aircon would should come in around $250 a month,

Internet $70 a month

Gym membership $80 a month

Phone contract $80 a month??? (i've pretty much guessed that)

Food $400 a month

Total average of $2300

if i was to just do 40 hours a week i should be taking home about $4200 a month after tax and medicare

Which would give me a average of $1800 a month to play with after all my main bills are paid.

Firstly is there anything on that list that i have seriously under of over budgeted for or are the prices about right?

Is there anything major average bill that i am forgetting?

And if all my calculations are right, is $1800 enough to live off per month for 1 person, not looking for a crazy rich life, beach, BBQ and beers suits me just fine. Of course like i said the pay should go up quite quickly and there is a big opportunity for over time in my line of work but i have done this as a worst case scenario.

Would be bringing over a rough $18,000 for the initial start up-rent deposit, buying and insuring a car.

Any tips/advice would be seriously appreciated as its such a big move and at the minute i feel like i am going in blind. Thanks

If i take the job i would have a 457 work visa through sponsorship, yea im more of a beer on weekends kind of guy, try and keep healthy etc in the week, really just trying to work out if my calculations are accurate and i the said amount above would be enough.

Transport costs? Petrol is cheaper here than the UK...but you may well be driving longer distances. However, as Perth is very different from my location, I'll leave it to Perth people to comment on the cost of petrol.

Costs can vary so much from state to state that it may be worth running this query on the Western Australia subforum as well so that more Perth locals see it.

Hi I think you'll have more than enough. Your rent looks about right. I spend about $100 a month on electricity for a two bedroom place (and that includes electric hot water), about $250-300 on food (lots of food). Internet, gym and phone you can get cheaper too depending on the contract.

You should factor in car rego and insurance and contents insurance.

Going out can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. More expensive in the city (up to $20 a pint) but still plenty of places that are cheaper.

I can't see any major flaws in it, I thought rent looked light for a two bedroom house but then I am more familiar with Sydney and did not realise Perth was so much cheaper (you would be lucky to get a studio in Sydney for that)!

It is up to you to determine whether the residual $1800 is enough to live on, could you live on say £800 per month now after those expenses are dealt with? If so then it will be much the same.

At 20 years old, it all sounds like you would be well on track to me. Good luck with the move.

Hey Thankyou guys so much, i was so worried that either my calculations for rent etc were way off or 1800 would never be enough but you've put my mind at rest now and i'm thinking that with a good amount of overtime i could even afford to rent a 400pw place just in case 350 doesn't get me what i expect. As for petrol cost i didn't really put that as a deciding factor as i will have a company van paid for to get to and from work.

Looks like i'm moving to Aus then. Thanks again, hopefully this thread will help out other people in my situation as well.

At 20, what do you want a whole 2-bedroom apartment for? Just rent a room in a 3 bedroom house. You'll get to meet new people and can also easily move place as you are not tied to a lease.

This is what a 20-year old should spend irrespective of how high the income is(within reason of course)

Rent + Internet + Utilities: A max of $1000/month. $800 is a typical figure.

Phone: $30 to $40 per month gets you unlimited calls/text etc. Don't be tied to a contract. Just use pre-paid. Buy the phone of your choice outright.

Gym: Perth is such a outdoor place - you probably won't need it. Just go hiking, biking, scuba diving, you name it.

Transport: Stay within 10k's to work and you'll probably spend less than $200 all up on car expenses(fuel, rego, insurance). Just buy a cheap car with low miles on it.

Food: Less than $500/month. Can save quite a bit if you share with house mates.

Entertainment: $300/month

Save the rest for travel, education, buying your first home etc. Never be tempted to apply for a credit card and you'll be alright.

Welcome to Perth :)

What's wrong with wanting a private home, at any age? By the age of 20 I was sick of student-style house sharing and would have rented a place all to myself, but couldn't afford it til my mid 20s. Even then I struggled for money but it was worth it. To be able to rent a 2 bed home and have spare cash at 20 is great, go for it!

What's wrong with wanting a private home, at any age? By the age of 20 I was sick of student-style house sharing and would have rented a place all to myself, but couldn't afford it til my mid 20s. Even then I struggled for money but it was worth it. To be able to rent a 2 bed home and have spare cash at 20 is great, go for it!

To each his own of course. Some simply prefer a more private residence.

Pick the right share house and it can be quite private especially when the house mates are all working professionals as well. The other reason being saving up to be able to afford to buy a whole house than being able to afford to rent a whole house.

i was so worried that either my calculations for rent etc were way off .

Have you done any searches on Perth rentals yet?

http://www.realestate.com.au

http://www.domain.com.au/

https://flatmates.com.au/6000/perth

As that will help give you an idea of what you will get.

I pay $300 per week in Sydney and that includes all bills for two people.

My next door neighbour pays $1200 per week and has to pay all bills.

So even suburb to suburb and street to street - there are huge variances.

Why the discrepancy jumpingjillybean? Do you have an extra generous landlord or is your neighbour in an amazing new build house and yours is an old style? Seems like a huge difference btwn the two.

Yes it is HUGE.

And there is a house up the road for sale for nearly 12 million. Insanity.

I am in an old and very small place which suits me perfectly.

I reckon my whole house is the size of next doors bathroom.

Next door is a massive brand new architect designer house.

Well i wouldn't live like that in England (house sharing) so i wouldn't want to live like it in Aus either, plus as i look to live in the suburbs more than the city the housing is alot cheaper so i can get a 2 bedroom house still within my budget which comes with a garage and decent drive (Very into my cars) plus this means if family/friends did ever want to visit i would have room for them. Appreciate the advice though and i did think of house sharing for the first 6 months mainly as you state its alot cheaper and also i would get to know people alot quicker.

When it comes to cars can any of you answer me this, I just about understand the rego part but when it comes to green slips, as i will more than likely buy 2 cars (1 decent car 1 banger UTE) would i need a green slip per car or does it cover you as a person so i would just buy one green slip and it would apply to any cars i own? Suspect no one is looking at this thread any more so i'll probably end up starting a new thread but if anyone could answer on here that would be great.

Well i wouldn't live like that in England (house sharing) so i wouldn't want to live like it in Aus either, plus as i look to live in the suburbs more than the city the housing is alot cheaper so i can get a 2 bedroom house still within my budget which comes with a garage and decent drive (Very into my cars) plus this means if family/friends did ever want to visit i would have room for them. Appreciate the advice though and i did think of house sharing for the first 6 months mainly as you state its alot cheaper and also i would get to know people alot quicker.

When it comes to cars can any of you answer me this, I just about understand the rego part but when it comes to green slips, as i will more than likely buy 2 cars (1 decent car 1 banger UTE) would i need a green slip per car or does it cover you as a person so i would just buy one green slip and it would apply to any cars i own? Suspect no one is looking at this thread any more so i'll probably end up starting a new thread but if anyone could answer on here that would be great.

You would need to insure both cars, just as you would if you had two cars in the UK.

You would need to insure both cars, just as you would if you had two cars in the UK.

Thanks, so i would need to insure both cars with a green slip and then ideally pay for a comprehensive insurance on both cars as well if i wanted the car itself to be covered?

Yes.

Blooody hell, you Aussies don't like to make things cheap do you, anyway thanks for all the replies guys, will take on board house sharing for a bit mainly to meet new people but from what others have said i shouldn't struggle too much to rent my self which is what i was really trying to find out with this thread. This is a Decent forum. Thanks

Blooody hell, you Aussies don't like to make things cheap do you, anyway thanks for all the replies guys, will take on board house sharing for a bit mainly to meet new people but from what others have said i shouldn't struggle too much to rent my self which is what i was really trying to find out with this thread. This is a Decent forum. Thanks

Yes I think you can expect to pay a lot for insurance. We paid well over $1500 in insurance for a seven year old Mazda and we are two 40-somethings doing very low mileage and 20+ years clean driving record.

Am i being stupid then because i got a quote for a Skyline R33 turbo for just over $1,000 fully comp or $400 Fire and Theft, which i thought was crazy low or does Aus base insurance mainly on age of car etc not speed/danger as if i was trying to get a quote for that car in england it would be over £2,000 just based on how fast it is. That was with a company called sgio?

I'm with NRMA, not totally sure if the Aussies work out any differently to back home, but based on what I pay I find it a lot cheaper. Wouldn't be able to get a 2.0 Tsi that cheaply insured back home though.

On your other costs (based in Brisbane)

Gym - I pay $16 a week. Has outdoor pool and tennis courts all included which I think is reasonable.

Internet - TPG adsl2 unlimited & phone rental $59.99

Electricity and food vary variable depending on habits. Pay around $180 a quarter electricity (but i dont have ac and both me and partner at work all day and we live in an apartment). Food I find similar to home but if you buy a lot of convenience style stuff they seem to be way more expensive here.

Archived