Recruiter (actual manager, not HR) said she'd get back to me the next day, but ...

syd

... after a first interview, four days later, and three follow-up emails, I've heard nothing.

Is this something that happens in Aus particularly, or just as random as any other country's hiring practices?

I don't get why they wouldn't reply. If they wanted me, they would've surely replied. If they don't, why not just say - thanks for interviewing, but it's not going to work out.

And if they're still deciding, or interviewing other candidates, surely they realise it's not the best start to a relationship with a potential employee.

Whichever way I look at it, I can't understand it.

:arghh:

You get polite and impolite people in all countries! If she hasn't got back to you, then you probably didn't get the job - but maybe she's sick?

You're right, Marisa! Trying not to read too much into it, in case it does work out. But I think I've sent enough emails at this point. If I don't hear back by mid-week next week, it's clearly not going to happen.

I wish she hadn't initiated the timeline. She should've just said, "If we'd like to move ahead, we'll let you know", instead of "we'll get back to you tomorrow".

I understand that recruitment eats into the rest of your working day, especially if it's not your full-time responsibility, but a one-line reply doesn't seem like a lot to ask for.

If I don't hear back at all, then I'm glad to have had his experience as early in the relationship as possible. Rather now than once I'm in the job!

... after a first interview, four days later, and three follow-up emails, I've heard nothing.

Is this something that happens in Aus particularly, or just as random as any other country's hiring practices?

I don't get why they wouldn't reply. If they wanted me, they would've surely replied. If they don't, why not just say - thanks for interviewing, but it's not going to work out.

And if they're still deciding, or interviewing other candidates, surely they realise it's not the best start to a relationship with a potential employee.

You followed up three times in four days? :err:

Maybe she was ill or was just snowed under for a couple of days, but as a recruiter, I think I would be very concerned about someone chasing me up to that extent. This might be a priority for you, but she might have more pressing work related matters that is all.

Maybe be you will still get good news but if not then chalk this one up to expeirence and maybe tone it down a bit next time.

You followed up three times in four days? :err:

Maybe she was ill or was just snowed under for a couple of days, but as a recruiter, I think I would be very concerned about someone chasing me up to that extent. This might be a priority for you, but she might have more pressing work related matters that is all.

Maybe be you will still get good news but if not then chalk this one up to expeirence and maybe tone it down a bit next time.

I can't argue with that. The first included some follow-up information that she requested, so I don't see that as a problem. But I swore I wouldn't send more than one more mail to check in. It's a great job that's worth chasing, but I think you're right. There is such a thing as coming on too strong.

My experience of HR is that they call you, not you calling them. It is very often a slow process sometimes many months from application to being hired. 3 months seems to be the average time to be processed and it is very frustrating if you go through everything only to be abandoned with no explanation at all. It can be a lottery getting a job because most jobs have a lot of applicants. My advice is to go for as many jobs as you can at the same time, don't dwell on the one job that you are so sure you'll get.

Edited by scuffythetugboat

I echo what has been said above. Often it can take a week or so due to internal procedures/ following up references. They tend to let the successful candidate know first and this can also mean a delay in letting everyone else know - however not always the case so not necessarily determinative in your situation.

In future firmly advise not emailing them for at least 10 days unless there is a particularly pressing reason.

Edited by Peachy

This is directly with the company, directly with the team lead. So no agency, and no HR, which makes things a lot easier, quicker and more direct.

The only reason I expected to hear back so soon, and why I followed up twice after the thank you mail, was that she said it was company practice to get back to me within 24 hours with a reply.

Anyway, soldiering on with more applications, secretly hoping I'll hear back in a few days. What's meant to be will be.

This is directly with the company, directly with the team lead. So no agency, and no HR, which makes things a lot easier, quicker and more direct.

The only reason I expected to hear back so soon, and why I followed up twice after the thank you mail, was that she said it was company practice to get back to me within 24 hours with a reply.

Anyway, soldiering on with more applications, secretly hoping I'll hear back in a few days. What's meant to be will be.

Well she shouldn't have said that she would do something and then not do it. But you know, just because she is recruiting, it doesn't mean she is the most experienced person in the world and never gets anything wrong. She might be inexperienced in recruiting, it might be her first time recruiting even. She might have discussed it with her boss who said to hold fire for whatever reason. So allow for those kind of scenarios, leave respectful lapses of time between your communications, or you risk being labelled as some over zealous stalker!

It happens a lot. Not just in Australia but also in the UK. What it means is you didn't get the job and they've offered the job to someone else - but they don't want to tell you that yet in case the someone else either doesn't take the job, fails the police check or doesn't work out for some other reason. That way they can come back to you and apologies for the "unavoidable delay" and tell you that you have got the job without ever having to say they didn't want you.

What it means is you didn't get the job and they've offered the job to someone else - but they don't want to tell you that yet in case the someone else either doesn't take the job, fails the police check or doesn't work out for some other reason. That way they can come back to you and apologies for the "unavoidable delay" and tell you that you have got the job without ever having to say they didn't want you.

Disappointingly, this is probably the best explanation I've heard of what could be going on. I gave them, their company and their 'culture' a lot more credit than this. I really hope this isn't the case. But if it is, at least I have a scenario that makes a bit of sense now.

Edited by syd

Disappointingly, this is probably the best explanation I've heard of what could be going on. I gave them, their company and their 'culture' a lot more credit that this. I really hope this isn't the case. But if it is, at least I have a scenario that makes a bit of sense now.

You gave the a bit more credit than this? A bit more credit than not getting back to you within 24 hours? For heavens sake, your standards and self importance are really far too high!

You gave the a bit more credit than this? A bit more credit than not getting back to you within 24 hours? For heavens sake, your standards and self importance are really far too high!

LOL. I have to remind myself that I'm just one more applicant in the pile. I just thought that a 45 minute interview that ended with her going "I'll get back to you tomorrow because that's the next step in our standard hiring practice" actually meant that she would. I also thought that they wouldn't be the kind of company to string me along (Ken's theory, which is a decent guess at what's happened). If they really are doing so, then yes, I gave them more credit than that.

Edited by syd

I had a similar experience last year with Pepsi in the UK.

First interview fine. Second interview fine. Third and Final Interview - ended with we'll call you either this afternoon, or at the latest tomorrow.

Nothing. 2 days later I see the job has been re-advertised.

A week later I e-mail for an update (more to make a point thank anything else), and they try offering me another interview for a different job, at a site over 100 miles away.

I felt relieved I the end - if that's the kind of company they are then not sure I want to work for them.

This has happened to us several times from Australian companies.

It doesn't matter how much you chase them, even after they've given you positive feedback that the job is yours! They can still ignore all contact.

It's a complete waste of time and very frustrating. There's nothing you can do but move on to the next company.

If they treat you this badly before you start working for them, are they really worth working for in the first place?

good luck

I had a similar experience last year with Pepsi in the UK.

First interview fine. Second interview fine. Third and Final Interview - ended with we'll call you either this afternoon, or at the latest tomorrow.

Nothing. 2 days later I see the job has been re-advertised.

A week later I e-mail for an update (more to make a point thank anything else), and they try offering me another interview for a different job, at a site over 100 miles away.

I felt relieved I the end - if that's the kind of company they are then not sure I want to work for them.

Three interviews and they treat you like this. Man. I've only interviewed a handful of times in my career, and all of them have been genuine, so I'm not used to people being this inconsiderate and insensitive. Tough times for employees, it seems.

This has happened to us several times from Australian companies.

It doesn't matter how much you chase them, even after they've given you positive feedback that the job is yours! They can still ignore all contact.

It's a complete waste of time and very frustrating. There's nothing you can do but move on to the next company.

If they treat you this badly before you start working for them, are they really worth working for in the first place?

good luck

Absolutely agree. Rather a devil I know now than a devil I don't later.