Mail forwarding (UK to AU)

CNC FABS

ok, I may be mad thinking about this all of a sudden, but....

How to work mail forwarding from the Uk. Yes, I have used the Royal Mail service for home and business many times before, and yes they offer an international service. But when I leave these shores for good soon, I will not actually know my postal address in Au (perhaps temp one, if that).

So how do I set it up ?? I need to stop mail going to my house from day one. Also dealing with Royal Mail over the years, they just love lots of proof of address in person to do most things, so can't pop over from Melbourne just to do that.

Do Aus Post offer a forwarding service ? I can get RM to send to....

and no...don't want to get family in UK to handle it

But then, many folks on here must know the simple answer ??:smile:

Edited by CNC FABS

Can you not set up international mail forwarding to a PO box in Aus?

eta - appear you have to set up an Aus PO box in person

Edited by Guest
Added a line

We didn't forward anything - but then we had spent the six months before we left, converting as much as possible to email or online (e.g. bank statements, insurance renewals etc etc), cancelling subscriptions to everything, and notifying relatives etc. We got very little mail anyway so we just decided to take the risk, because Australia Post wanted a fortune to forward for just a few months.

Are you not going to book into holiday accommodation for a month or so when you arrive? If we had gone ahead, we would've used our holiday flat address to start with, then notified Australia Post of our permanent address when known. I don't know if Royal Mail has the facility to notify of a change of address after the forwarding has started, might be worth checking.

What about Poste Restante?

ok, I may be mad thinking about this all of a sudden, but....

How to work mail forwarding from the Uk. Yes, I have used the Royal Mail service for home and business many times before, and yes they offer an international service. But when I leave these shores for good soon, I will not actually know my postal address in Au (perhaps temp one, if that).

So how do I set it up ?? I need to stop mail going to my house from day one. Also dealing with Royal Mail over the years, they just love lots of proof of address in person to do most things, so can't pop over from Melbourne just to do that.

Do Aus Post offer a forwarding service ? I can get RM to send to....

and no...don't want to get family in UK to handle it

But then, many folks on here must know the simple answer ??:smile:

We placed a 12 month redirect to my brother in law in England. He is happy to open all our post as most will be junk. He scans and emails anything that might be useful and of interest. We never had much post anyway as deal with most things online so in 3 months he has only scanned a handful of communications so not too onerous a task. An added bonus is that we get shopping vouchers for using our credit card and he gets to keep and use those (as we cannot over here).

Like you we knew it might be a while before we had a permanent address so our mail would struggle to follow us. Also redirecting mail to a UK address much cheaper. :cool:

We placed a 12 month redirect to my brother in law in England. He is happy to open all our post as most will be junk. He scans and emails anything that might be useful and of interest. We never had much post anyway as deal with most things online so in 3 months he has only scanned a handful of communications so not too onerous a task. An added bonus is that we get shopping vouchers for using our credit card and he gets to keep and use those (as we cannot over here).

Like you we knew it might be a while before we had a permanent address so our mail would struggle to follow us. Also redirecting mail to a UK address much cheaper. :cool:

Must admit I did a similar thing when I came out 15 years ago - and much less was online then. I turned everything I could into internet, and got a friend to accept redirected mail for me for 6 months. In that time I think he scanned and emailed about 5 things to me the rest was junk. Nowadays with all banks etc doing internet banking it should be even easier than it was then.

OP - just tell your friends and relatives you will advise them of an address when you have ne, and redirect everything else to a trusted friend, if not a relative - you must have ONE who you can rely on?

Hi all iam going to be in a similar situation but in oz, thinking of staying at the quest hotel in mandurah can I use this address for the Medicare cards etc as need these for proof of id to rent asap ?

Do you really need a Medicare card for ID? It is never a compulsory part of the ID process, just a suggestion. You've got a passport, that's most of the way there!

Thanks for replies. As I have just sold a business and still have another trading in background. Likely to have some mail and not happy for others to scan it.

I did look at using a redirection address company, but even they seem mad on address proof 'due to money laundering'...

Still plenty of other things to worry about.

I just used to get our mail fwd to my parents who just popped it all in a jiffy bag now and again and sent it on that way. Didn't always open it or read it. Left the envelopes unopened.

Must admit I did a similar thing when I came out 15 years ago - and much less was online then. I turned everything I could into internet, and got a friend to accept redirected mail for me for 6 months. In that time I think he scanned and emailed about 5 things to me the rest was junk. Nowadays with all banks etc doing internet banking it should be even easier than it was then.

OP - just tell your friends and relatives you will advise them of an address when you have ne, and redirect everything else to a trusted friend, if not a relative - you must have ONE who you can rely on?

I did the same. A lot of things that usually arrived in the post, got cancelled (Tesco club card, contents insurance, travel insurance etc). My bank statements are sent to my parents and a few other things like HMRC, DVLA... are also sent to them. Just converted my UK credit card to online banking, so that's one less thing. My Dad then opens the post (but ignores bank statements) and sends me a scanned copy. He is very well organised so I'm expecting to get presented with a big pile of sorted out post when I go back to the UK next year!

I personally don't trust the Royal Mail forwarding system and can't imagine it working any better from the UK to AU...

Edited by vickyplum

After reading other comments thought u needed so many identity docs to gain points or am I confused?? Either way I will still need to register with the Medicare system though, this is all so confusing it I will get there :-/

It depends - I have only been asked for 100 points of ID, once (when renting our apartment). See link for the documents you need to make up the 100 points (it varies from state to state so I've picked WA) - most of it can be done with passport and birth certificate and probably a credit/debit card.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservices/Policechecks/NationalPoliceCertificates/Proofofidentity/tabid/1345/Default.aspx

Agree with the comments about getting things redirected within the UK and getting someone (friend or family) to filter out the crap you don't need and post (or scan) it over.

A cautionary tale from our own experience of this... We set up a 3 month redirect from the Royal Mail when we initially came over. 3 months later and we hadn't received a single letter. From our email we knew that mail was being sent to us, but it wasn't arriving. After loads of hassle chasing up the Royal Mail it all boiled down to this - on the apartment block website in Melbourne, our address was listed as (name of building) 26/12. The actual address was (name of building) 2612. Therefore all our mail was rejected as an unknown address and put on a slow boat back to the UK!

So, between the Royal Mail, Australia Post and the apartment block management, no one had the gumption to check if 26/12 actually referred to 2612... Not sure how we were supposed to know this in advance... So be careful to double check and confirm the address is correct before you pay for anything.

Is it not possible to have your mail redirected to your UK bank and them forward it to you? Or forwarded to your Australian bank maybe? Australia Post do not run a Poste Restante service any more so that isn't an option. When we came 25 years ago there was no internet or email (how on earth did we manage??!!) so our mail was redirected to a close family friend in our home town for a year and she forwarded it on, unopened, every few weeks. Mostly it was last bills or receipts etc, with just a few odd social letters and Christmas cards. We had advised everyone we could think of before we left so it wasn't a huge amount of stuff and it petered out after about 4 or 5 months. Hope you manage to sort this out.