Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC).

Mike@Bonbeach

Now I'm pretty sure that Connie and I aren't the only PIO members who have this card.

June 2015 was the last time the supplement of $239.85 per quarter was paid. The supplement, in line with the Governments commitment to older Australians, is no longer paid.(some commitment to older Australians !!!!!).

We are still able to claim the Energy Supplement of $69.65 per quarter but it all adds up to a loss of around $680 each of us each year.

They have increased the threshold to allow more Seniors to claim the various benefits, eg cheaper medicines, But that doesn't help us as we are well below the current threshold.

I'm surprised that this has not received any publicity in the Media.

We still have just under 2 years to go until we will have been here 10 years, in the meantime we still carry on paying tax to the Government on our UK pensions and a little bit of Bank savings interest, not even qualifying for the Senior Australian tax offset, and our income is around the $30k mark each, out of which we owe the ATO around $2k annually.

At the moment I'm not happy.

Mike

Mike , just out of interest ,did you have to pay a $10,000 bond before you arrived as my mother in law did coming on a Grandparents visa , her only source of income are her pensions , i put in in a bank for her in my name , just realised the amount of tax im paying on it !

Mike , just out of interest ,did you have to pay a $10,000 bond before you arrived as my mother in law did coming on a Grandparents visa , her only source of income are her pensions , i put in in a bank for her in my name , just realised the amount of tax im paying on it !

Tonyman

Yes, our son put up the $14,000 AOS, (well we paid it really), I believe he gets something like $300 interest every 6 months. I'd imagine he's paying the tax on that.

Mike

Don't forget you can claim on rates as well if pay them. As well as water. Free out of rush period travel as well.All income is taxed in Australia so not sure what the complaint is about. I'll be ruled out of any sort of pension the way things stand but will still pay income tax.

Not really a complaint FOC. As far as I'm aware we cannot claim rate reduction or water or energy on the CSHC, that would be nice if we could. As far as free out of rush hour travel, again no here in Victoria although we do get some concessions on travel, but we don't use public transport very much.

Once we have been here 10 years we will then qualify for the Senior Australian tax offset which should mean we should then be paying next to no tax.

Mike

It's rubbish the way they treat seniors here. if you have bludged all your life, got a housing commission house with low rent you get the lot. If you have worked hard all your life and managed to save a bit- bad luck, you are 'rich'. We found that applying online was better - the actual workers in the centres were hopeless and missed a lot of the offset things. It took the two of us over a week to fill out the long forms but in the end we scraped in.

I would have preferred to contribute towards a pension - in fact when we first started working here we were surprised that we didn't have to.

That's all very well if you are working.

Not everyone is working.

I think a system based on need is preferable.

Welfare is meant to be a safety net for the people who need it, not for those who have paid tax.

We are still trying to progress past this entitlement mentality to an acceptance that help should be provided based on need only.

Cannot claim on the pink card for rates or reduction in utilities CSCHC. I have one only get reduced scrips and medical. To get the whistles and tweets one needs the blue centrelink card which I used to have but now do not have. . Tax is payable on income but tax is not payable on allocated pensions if we take under the threshold. Speak to an accountant about what you are entitled to.

Thanks Tonyman

This just confirms that the CSHC doesn't qualify for any of the discounts like energy, rates, health etc. (except for medicines).

OK for cheaper stamps tho.

Mike

Would you prefer it was like the UK where you have to contribute for 30 years to get a pension?

No. I thought not.

I contributed for the full quota of years, was it 40 or 44 ? can't recall the exact figure, and then they go and freeze it when we come to Australia. Yes I know, I knew about the freezing before we came here.

Mike

I contributed for the full quota of years, was it 40 or 44 ? can't recall the exact figure, and then they go and freeze it when we come to Australia. Yes I know, I knew about the freezing before we came here.

Mike

I think the better model is Australia's where when you are working you are contributing to Superannuation, and you get concessions to do so. You can also choose the level of risk you want and even manage your own super fund if you wish. And your employer contributes too.

The Age Pension then is really a safety net for the poor or those who haven't been able to save enough via Superannuation.

That's all very well if you are working.

Not everyone is working.

I think a system based on need is preferable.

Welfare is meant to be a safety net for the people who need it, not for those who have paid tax.

We are still trying to progress past this entitlement mentality to an acceptance that help should be provided based on need only.

Well as most work it is far preferable. Australia has the worst system I have encountered. Taking for example France, a person who hasn't had enough working years will still get what they call The Minimum Revenue, which would equate the pension here. Rent would also be covered. While nowhere as good as a working related pension which as in UK, Denmark and Germany is not means tested one will get by.

All amounts to a reasonably worry free time of life as it should and allows people to invest in more productive things during their working lives than attempting to acquire property as a hedge against age.

I think the better model is Australia's where when you are working you are contributing to Superannuation, and you get concessions to do so. You can also choose the level of risk you want and even manage your own super fund if you wish. And your employer contributes too.

The Age Pension then is really a safety net for the poor or those who haven't been able to save enough via Superannuation.

Most over a certain age will never have enough in super and will be still partly reliant on a pension. The present rorts by mostly richer folk with super ,will be sorted out at some stage as the country will not be able to afford such generosity.

Already more people are working longer, than in previous years in Australia due to the fact they haven't enough to retire on.

I don't know. My friend who turned sixty not long ago, here in Perth was bragging on getting their Senior Card, the one positive thing of reaching that age was the benefits. These definitely included free public transport out of rush hours. Also a reduction in water costs and a rate reduction. I will have to ask about other utilities but thought power was also included.

Surely a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card would be inclusive of these things then? Providing satisfy the age requirements.

I don't know. My friend who turned sixty not long ago, here in Perth was bragging on getting their Senior Card, the one positive thing of reaching that age was the benefits. These definitely included free public transport out of rush hours. Also a reduction in water costs and a rate reduction. I will have to ask about other utilities but thought power was also included.

Surely a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card would be inclusive of these things then? Providing satisfy the age requirements.

Not sure on WA but in Qld the card you get at 60 is called a seniors business discount card, which in reality is a proof of age card so certain busness's if willing will give you a discount, nothing from local, state or Federal governments until you get your pensioners card at retirement age.

Not sure on WA but in Qld the card you get at 60 is called a seniors business discount card, which in reality is a proof of age card so certain busness's if willing will give you a discount, nothing from local, state or Federal governments until you get your pensioners card at retirement age.

Differs in WA then. Good to know. Definitely free public transport travel and reduced rate during rush hours. I know reduced rates as well. Good to know WA appears to lead the pack with this. Had no idea that it wasn't Commonwealth wide. Quite probably the former State Labor government brought it in. Gallop perhaps? Must check that out.

Archived