IELTS academic - frustrating!

samjwilli

I'm a qualified nurse, born and bred in England, who has numerous qualifications including a batchelors degree with hons, post grad diploma plus other nursing qualifications but yet I seemed to have "failed" the reading and listening IELTS! It's so bloody frustrating!

I couldn't actually believe it! This now means I need to re-sit and pay them another £150!

Can any one please advise or give any hints/tips of how to get a better score in reading and listening?!

My my results are as follows -

L - 6.5

R - 6.5

W - 8.0

S - 9.0

overall - 7.5 (not that means much)

Any guidance or experiences much appreciated

thanks sam xx

I'm a qualified nurse, born and bred in England, who has numerous qualifications including a batchelors degree with hons, post grad diploma plus other nursing qualifications but yet I seemed to have "failed" the reading and listening IELTS! It's so bloody frustrating!

I couldn't actually believe it! This now means I need to re-sit and pay them another £150!

Can any one please advise or give any hints/tips of how to get a better score in reading and listening?!

L - 6.5

R - 6.5

W - 8.0

S - 9.0

thanks sam xx

I can recommend the IELTS practice book. It costs about 30 pounds. It comes with a cd and some practice tests. It's not an easy test to get a top score in all bands, I did about 4 practice tests and found they really helped.

good luck

Hi sam

I also used the Cambridge ielts practice book and cd, there are practice tests on the ielts website, and I also got some tips from watching ielts Ryan on you tube. The other thing to consider is the transfer of answers to the marking sheet. There is room for error here, so try to leave it enough time to transfer the answers without rushing this bit. Good luck

Thanks milliem, I'll have a look. How did you get on? X

I got 9,9,9, 7.5 in the first round so after that I bought the practice book as I needed all 8 or above. On the second round I got 9s. You will do it. The practice does help.

Edited by milliem

I feel the frustration Sam!!

I got my results back friday too, 8.5 speaking, 8 listening, 7.5 writing (which was the one i was worried about) and a 5 in reading! A 5!!! omg i must have messed up the answer sheet big style.

I have just booked 2 English tests back to back, a pearson one and another Ielts! I'm going to revise big time as they're both in 2 weeks.

I did a few listening practice exams before I did the real one, I think that helped me out, because you can clearly see the structure of section parts. easy to hard. Defo give them ago!

my HWV runs out in 2 months and I defo need to get all 7's or equivalent otherwise i i'm screwed

I hope it makes you feel better, my english tests are racking up to $990 and i'm too Sheffield born and bred

Edited by lukescotty

Ah thanks guys. I've been doing some research and I'm defo going to get the books but there is also a local IELTS tutor in York (I'm in Leeds) and I think I'm going have a couple of hours with him going through some test papers and learning the technique. After speaking to him yesterday he suggested native speaking English people can sometimes have this problem.

Lukescotty I can't do the Pearson one as ANMAC (nursing skills assessment board) only accept IELTS and an OET which I can't find a testing centre in the UK only in Australia. Good luck.

Chortlepuss - I'll check out the website thanks.

Did anyone find a particular technique helped them, I read through all of the reading material before attempting to answer the questions, which I have since found out I should just sim read and find the answers as I probably lost valuable time doing this.

Ah thanks guys. I've been doing some research and I'm defo going to get the books but there is also a local IELTS tutor in York (I'm in Leeds) and I think I'm going have a couple of hours with him going through some test papers and learning the technique. After speaking to him yesterday he suggested native speaking English people can sometimes have this problem.

Lukescotty I can't do the Pearson one as ANMAC (nursing skills assessment board) only accept IELTS and an OET which I can't find a testing centre in the UK only in Australia. Good luck.

Chortlepuss - I'll check out the website thanks.

Did anyone find a particular technique helped them, I read through all of the reading material before attempting to answer the questions, which I have since found out I should just sim read and find the answers as I probably lost valuable time doing this.

Recommend reading the first 5 questions then skimming and scanning and underlining potential answers or inferences. The text mostly follows the questions chronologically. time runs out very quickly

L - 6.5

R - 6.5

W - 8.0

S - 9.0

thanks sam xx

Hi Sam

I was in the same boat as yourself, then my agent told me about the PTE , got what I needed & a lot easier . you should find some posts regarding it all pretty good .

I can totally sympathise, I did the same on my first test (also needed IELTS for ANMAC) I contacted English tutors in my area before my second test. The one who got back to me was unfortunately away on holiday when I needed her but suggested this website http://www.dcielts.com/ .

It was my saviour! Broke it down and made it clear. There are loads of help websites out there.

Good luck x

I feel your pain, I am a nurse too and failed 3 times on the reading, 7, 7.5, 7.5 and then on my fourth attempt i got 8.5. I used the practice materials you can log into when you apply, IELTS-simon was good too, I also had the cambridge book. I just found the amount to read in the sort amount of time and then having the stupid misleading questions was just so frustrating. I firmly believe that the last test I did was passed by pure fluke. Youll get there in the end xx

• 2 weeks later...

L - 6.5

R - 6.5

W - 8.0

S - 9.0

thanks sam xx

Hi Sam,

I've just posted some time-saving tips for the IELTS Reading test here, and you can find some tips for the IELTS Listening test here.

Good luck,

Pete

Hi Sam

ihave just taken the IELTS test and waiting to hear but im pretty sure i screwed the speaking part up (tho im from uk and also have degree etc) Nerves made me speak so fast the marker just looked baffled but as for the reading and listening , i think i did ok . There are ebooks such as the one i bought from go.matilda or on the ilets website for approx 30 pounds that give points on how to get top score. The listening is hard as its fast but the reading is all there just have to know what is there. Hope this helps.

Tasha

You did really well to get 8.0 on the writing, I thought that and the reading were definately the hardest. I scraped through first time but I did so many practice tests where I timed myself, but then I still had to sit the general after my academic for extra visa points!

Youve got the writing and speaking in the bag so whatever you did there do it again! I would just get the practice materials from IELTS so you have the format and timings well rehearsed and you know the easy mistakes to make... so frustrating but you will do it and then you are one step closer!!

Best of luck

L - 6.5

R - 6.5

W - 8.0

S - 9.0

thanks sam xx

With Listening, just practice the questions in Cambridge IELTS series. I found that the practice test scores are very close to my final scores. Listening is probably the easiest section of the lot.

With Reading, I am gonna hazard a guess and say it's a time management issue. IIRC, Reading has 3 sections. Split your time to 12,18,23 minutes for each of the sections. Leave 5 to 7 minutes for revising your answers. You'll pick up on a few silly mistakes.

Other than that, just do 2 to 4 practice tests from the Cambridge IELTS book and give it another go.

L - 6.5

R - 6.5

W - 8.0

S - 9.0

thanks sam xx

Its disgusting that you keep failing and IELTS keep making money every time you fail. In Australia the government did a paliamentary enquiry into the conduct of the English proficiency tests http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=/haa/overseasdoctors/subs.htm .gov.au

You are not the only one.