Chartered accountant

russab2000

Hi all

New to the forum so apologies if this has been done recently, I tired to search but with no luck.

I am currently in the early stages of applying for a visa (sub class 189) actually just sent off my skill assessment. I believe I have 65 points for the actual visa. 30 for age 20 for ielts & 15 for aca

I am looking to move to Perth (family live there already) in the next 12 months subject to visa processing times. I am just curious to see what other members are making of the current job market for accountants. I'm an ACA qualified with 3 years post qualification experience. Ranging from accounts prep, audit, personal & corporate tax. I am currently in a mid management role at a local firm, managing several staff and deal directly with clients.

Any advice or pointers is really appreciated

Thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Russab2000

the market is quite soft for accountants, with lots of applicants for each position. Universities have been churning accountants out in recent years and the market is over supplied....

that said, so long as you are prepared to tough it out, then it's a good lifestyle...

all the best

Hi Pommie

Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm happy to slog it out for the early parts to get my foot in really. As long as there are the opportunities

Hopefully my experiences are transferable.

Thanks

A UK qualified accountant won't have many problems with transferability. The trouble at the moment will certainly be the job market which is pretty shocking. Hundreds of very good candidates for every role.

Not great compared to London of wherever I imagine.

Perth I imagine even softer due to mining slowdown that way. Best options probably Melbourne or Sydney. Saying that I work for small commercial firm in Brisbane

The problem you'll run into is that all the employers want "Australian experience". For the jobs that you don't need experience for you're overqualified and for the jobs that you do need experience for your experience doesn't count as it's not Australian.

What about self-employment? To be self-employed as an accountant in Australia you have to be a registered tax agent. In fact in the eyes of the general public in Australia the words Accountant and Tax Agent are the same despite the fact that many many Tax Agents are not Accountants and even more Accountants are not Tax Agents.

Unfortuantely to become a registered tax agent you need (you guessed it) Australian experience (you also have to take some fairly simple courses and exams in Australian tax and commercial law). I've managed to scrape together some Australian experience over the last 3 years (and of course passed all the exams) and have applied for registration - but don't yet know if my Australian experience will be accepted or not. Hopefully I will get registered as I'm currently scraping by on about 2 days work a week.

I really cannot agree with the Australian experience old chestnut. I always found Australians very willing to look at a UK qualified accountant and to see a different perspective. In better times, my Australian colleagues would be high diving down the corridors, we'll definitely boasting, about securing somebody from the UK. The trouble at the moment is certainly the job market.

I think people that have been told it is "Australian experience" that is the problem are just being let down gently.

I think people that have been told it is "Australian experience" that is the problem are just being let down gently.

Perhaps, and looking at the fact the OP has only been qualified for 3 years he's obviously going to have a very different time in his job hunt from those of us approaching 50.

Hi all

Thanks for the response, all very interesting and the one common theme is how poor the market is. I was aware of this but i have done it before here in the uk so can do it again there with a bit of hard work. Hopefully...

Does anyone have any good recruiters in perth i can start to build a relationship with??

Hi all

Thanks for the response, all very interesting and the one common theme is how poor the market is. I was aware of this but i have done it before here in the uk so can do it again there with a bit of hard work. Hopefully...

Does anyone have any good recruiters in perth i can start to build a relationship with??

It is premature to start contacting agents, especially in this market. I really would not bother until you are a matter of weeks away from arriving. You contact them now and they will either ignore you or they will soon forget you and you have to introduce yourself again at the right time ... as they are not going to be your penpals in the meantime.

:wink:

The usual recruiters, Michael Page, Hayes etc. are all here, I don't know any individuals in Perth as I was East coast.

Glad to say I have my skill assessment back as positive

Has anyone done the 189 visa by themselves, I can't find a good thread to help... want to save a bit of cash

Thanks to all for your inputs & thoughts

Hi Russab

i have done it myself.... I'm just heading overseas with work for a couple of days - send me a message with any questions and I will help out where I can...

cheers

Glad to say I have my skill assessment back as positive

Has anyone done the 189 visa by themselves, I can't find a good thread to help... want to save a bit of cash

Thanks to all for your inputs & thoughts

I am going down the 189 visa route by myself, I think I have a straight forward case so could not justify using an agent!

I updated my EOI last weekend with 70 points as a management accountant, claiming 30 for age, 15 for my degree (didn't mention I am fully CIMA qualified), 5 for 3 years work experience (I have 5 post Uni - 9 months was not at the right level), 20 for English (PTE-A 90's).

I am assuming I will get an invite in the October round, the EOI was fairly straight forward if you already have the positive skills assessment and English results.

I am going down the 189 visa route by myself, I think I have a straight forward case so could not justify using an agent!

I updated my EOI last weekend with 70 points as a management accountant, claiming 30 for age, 15 for my degree (didn't mention I am fully CIMA qualified), 5 for 3 years work experience (I have 5 post Uni - 9 months was not at the right level), 20 for English (PTE-A 90's).

I am assuming I will get an invite in the October round, the EOI was fairly straight forward if you already have the positive skills assessment and English results.

you are practically guaranteed an invite in October... Good luck...

Asking a recruitment agent for the lie of the market will be a waste of time, they are hardly likely to dissuade a

good candidate from joining their books, regardless of whether there are jobs or not.

My advice would be to go on seek.com.au and apply for some jobs pretending you are already in Australia. Use a friends address (or make one up) and you can get an Australian mobile phone number through O2. It will be be time consuming but if you apply for a dozen jobs you'd be suitable for and are rejected from all that should set alarm bells ringing and it might be better delaying the move or at least saving so you have the resources to support yourself through months of job hunting. If you are contacted for interviews it might be frustrating but at least you can go there confident that not having Australian experience and the current market have at least should not prevent you too much. I really wish I had done this as it would have been less of a shock to get to Melbourne and have a small percentage of applicationa get through CV screening.

Obviosuly you only want to apply for jobs advertised directly from the employer, not am

agency on seek.

Apparently some 70 pointers were not invited last round so there might be a slight backlog to clear first.

I had seen this on another forum but without the Skill Select update it is hard to gauge, at 70 points though I feel much better than a week ago where my EOI was only 60 ponits!

Without a doubt !

The quicker they release the stats from last round the better so we all know where we stand.

Stats are up, you needed 70 points and only EOI before 6th August with 70 points were accepted for an acocuntant!

More worryingly however they only invited 20 accountants!!!! There have been 440 invitations to date and last month it was at 420!

This means the last 65 pointer was invited on 2nd July so ther eis over a 2 month backlog here, and 60 points is still back in March!

They have also changed the invitations back to twice monthly from October, hopefully I will get an invite in October however my flgihts are not until June so no rush just yet.

I don't understand why only 20 invites were issued ?

It was prorata'd to ensure so many were invited each month.

Any suggestions?

Complete guesses but maybe they want to hold up registrations to ensure "higher" quality candidates i.e. more points. At the moment I imagine a lot of people are simply redoing their English tests to get more points (like me).

Another guess is that Auditors are now full, so maybe they wanted to limit the number of invitations from similar fields, I read elsewhere that a lot of accountants reassessed as auditors as there was no restrictions here.

Ultimately it should have no impact on the year there is a 2500 ceiling.

The above are all random guesses though, no experience here so just speculating.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Dont suppose any one has an idea of when us accountants will be getting invites 70 points and less, from review of the rounds data and threads its looking a bit gloomy for those of us under 70 points. I currently have 65 have just submitted my EOI. Any ideas on when or if i will get an invite? Only saving grace is that I am not in to much of rush over then next few months, to get the application going

Hey mate,

Have a look at seek but also linkedin to gauge the type of jobs available. I'm CIMA and based in Sydney. i have been looking at the Perth market for over a year (as looking for a move over) and it's very soft. I met a good recruiter at FourQuarters who was honest about the state of the market. Having said that it may be better at your level and my experience is Financial Services (which is all Sydney or Melbourne). If your experience is in Energy companies, mining or industry you'll be more suited.

Good luck

Col

Archived