Moving Back to UK

duffer34

Hi Guys leaving Melbourne after 8 years, been driven back by the sad reality I may never own my own home and having a young family and on 1.5 incomes. I work for a Global Business that is HQ'd in UK they are paying for all my re-location cost. I am looking at Berkshire, working in Reading a couple of times and week and commuting to London the rest. Looks great but need some advice on best places in Berkshire to set up and has anyone commuted from there to london and can share their experience

Gutted to leave but cant take the risk of not being able to provide a home for my young son in an area we want to live in. I am an Ozzie Citizen so if things change i can always come back. Looking froward to exploring the UK and having some time on the snow in Europe

thanks guys

Sorry you haven't had a reply. London is booming at the moment as is much of the South East. At least you are coming to part of the world where things are on the up. I guess the commuting will be a pain and I think Melbourne food is better than here. Government schools here are improving all the time.

Hi Guys leaving Melbourne after 8 years, been driven back by the sad reality I may never own my own home and having a young family and on 1.5 incomes. I work for a Global Business that is HQ'd in UK they are paying for all my re-location cost. I am looking at Berkshire, working in Reading a couple of times and week and commuting to London the rest. Looks great but need some advice on best places in Berkshire to set up and has anyone commuted from there to london and can share their experience

Gutted to leave but cant take the risk of not being able to provide a home for my young son in an area we want to live in. I am an Ozzie Citizen so if things change i can always come back. Looking froward to exploring the UK and having some time on the snow in Europe

thanks guys

Sorry, not my neck of the woods, but we had some guys who had a course in reading, and they said the traffic was hell. Not a cheap place to live either. But good train links, and it's a lovely part of the country.

My sister lives in Wokingham. Nice enough, It's not outrageously expensive to buy a house (at least compared to Sussex where we lived) and quick commute (by train) to London/Heathrow/Reading/Oxford etc... I am sure the traffic is pretty bad into London but my sis seems to manage to go to concerts etc... When I've visited I am always impressed by how nice the countryside is.

Lucky you, getting an international relocation with your company......

My brother lives in Caversham, north Reading. Nice area to live. I get the impression it is quite expensive to buy there but perhaps not as much as other SE areas. He can afford it owing to his high salary (hence his family nickname Goldenballs...)

I can vouch for Wokingham.Lived there a few years ago.(I think it got voted one of the best places to live a few years ago).Its approx. 30 mins by train into London (Wokingham has a train station)and 10 mins into Reading (easy to drive to Reading too).Not far from Heathrow which came in very handy!Its quite a small town,so is easy to get into countryside and walks.I worked for the council,and loved my job!:cute:Binfield is also a nice place.Twyford's very nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wokingham

We moved back this year for similar readon, no prospect of buying a house in Sydney. We went to Hertfordshire though and are mortgage free here. Been to and through Berks a few times, I think it is all pretty nice round there to be honest. I would probably stay away from Reading proper though and would look for somewhere on the train line to London.

thanks guys

As I have said many times....London is always booming .....the rest of the country can be on its arse ,but London operates differently ...it is the worlds capital .

So much so ,and a reason for the continued boom ,allegedly wealthy investors from china,Russia and the middle east ,launder their money in London ,via the property market.

Their are some nice pockets around London ,but reading ain't one of them .

The surrounding areas are great for pensioners though ....i was talking to a woman from sidcup in Kent ,whilst on holiday in Italy .

She catches the bus or train into London for free ,and goes and has a coffee,and does a bit of shopping with her mates on an afternoon ...if there is a matinee show on in the west end at the right price ,they may do that as well ...then get the bus or train home .

Just having some of the best shopping and amenities on your doorstep has to be a bonus .

It sounds like a done deal but I'm also struggling to see how Berkshire is more affordable - if you commuted a similar time/distance from outside Melbourne as yoiu will be from London surely it would be comparable?

Have you seen this survey? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/11802315/Mapped-Where-affordable-meets-desirable-the-best-places-to-live-in-Britain.html

It might help identify more affordable areas with a good quality of life - I have a friend who stays in Hook and has done for 20 plus years now so is certainly happy living there and has brought up three children who are doing well. I don't know what the travel to London is like though as he's an engineer and when they moved there was working at Farnborough.

Avoid Bracknell, I was there on business recently and it was an awful place, almost impossible to walk anywhere due to ring roads and roundabouts!

Archived