Welsh in Melbourne??

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Sorry we missed it. Hey Paul - see you're from Swansea. Met my wife at Swansea University (sorry, I'm English - don't shoot) and love the place. We visited the uni when we took our little lad back to Wales to meet his grandparents in February - seemed a lot smaller than when we were there in the mid 90's. Used to love standing on the North Bank of the Vetch when Molby was the manager - hopeless, but the pies were good. Cockles at Swansea Market every Saturday - I got 500g when we were there in Feb, wolfed them down and then felt pretty rough in the car on the way back to Monmouth - I'm sure the cockles were fine, just my stomach's a bit older...! I was relieved to see that Bryn Roads as run down as it was when I lived there - just as it should be as a student!

hia is your wife from swansea then xx we wont shoot honest x i have taken over my hubbys pio name !!!! the vetch is no longer sorry to say !!! its the old morfa stadium now, cockles um paul hates them mmm lush lots of vinegar !!! must have been cold in february !!! a joes ice cream would be good though !!!

bryn road i am guessing is brynmill !!

i left in january and paul came over last november how long you guys been out here

carole x

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lewis clan

Hi Croweman , I went to Swansea Uni Too - finished in 1996. Yes Brynmill is still run down. My friend lived there and I went to many a good party there including a great bonfire on the beach across the way - very drunk!!!!I won't shoot either!!

Guest CROWEMAN
Hi Croweman , I went to Swansea Uni Too - finished in 1996. Yes Brynmill is still run down. My friend lived there and I went to many a good party there including a great bonfire on the beach across the way - very drunk!!!!I won't shoot either!!

I also graduated in 96 - stayed on and did a masters though for a year - lazy git that I was/am. Melbourne has a lot in common with Swansea, like, erm...struggling a bit here...its near the sea?

Guest Lewis clan

Hi, Yes I must be a lazy git too cos I did my masters at Swansea and completed it in 96.

Can't think of any other similarities to Swansea either!!!

u guys got no imagination ! huh st kilda is mumbles xx or it was on sunday with that wind !!! lol xxx and just somewhere for a coffee not an ice cream !!!!! albert park is brynmill park although the ducks have grown abit !! luna park is the fair ground in st helens x any more suggestions !!! lol

Guest Lewis clan

Ha Ha Funny Carol. Well done though!!

And obviously Swansea station is Flinders St - probably as old!!!

And there used to be trams in Mumbles!!

And the High Street in the Gower is Toorak!!

And the docks are port melbourne!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dannyfaldo

Hi, I posted a recent 'Welsh' post, but didnt notice this one!!! Whoops.

Anyway, anyone down the Frankston area for a beer and catch up?

Dan

Guest Dannyfaldo

Hi Carole, thanks for replying.

I have moved over to Langwarrin with my Aussie girlfriend. We moved over in October.

Good to hear there are some more Welshies around!!

How long have you been here?

• 6 months later...

Hi all you lovely Welsh people! We are from Swansea and moved to Queensland in August , have been on a 3 month road trip with our young kids and now settling into rental house and my hubby has started work - its all going great! What my hubby does really miss is watching Wales play rugby - he was hoping to see it online but couldn't. Just wondering whether you watch the games via TV (do foxtel show only Aussie games?) or know of any web sites to watch the games on? Thanks for the advice and if any Welsh people Brisbane way we'd love to get in touch!

Gin x

A good friend of mine near Melbourne way is sort of Welsh, he was born there but came out as a 1 year old, Drives a car with Cymru number plates, a Welsh flag on his house and Welsh rugby stickers all over the place. Keep your eyes open, Ive seen a few of these symbols around over the years, maybe watch for the rugby events.

Hi all you lovely Welsh people! We are from Swansea and moved to Queensland in August , have been on a 3 month road trip with our young kids and now settling into rental house and my hubby has started work - its all going great! What my hubby does really miss is watching Wales play rugby - he was hoping to see it online but couldn't. Just wondering whether you watch the games via TV (do foxtel show only Aussie games?) or know of any web sites to watch the games on? Thanks for the advice and if any Welsh people Brisbane way we'd love to get in touch!

Gin x

If you want to watch UK stuff on the net, ie BBC, ITV via their different players, what you need is a UK web proxy, in particular you will have to subscribe to a UK based proxy site and will have to pay for it. Try these:

Watch BBC iPlayer from Outside of UK

this is a free one but add supported, so not sure about the quality.

or a commercial one such as

UK Proxy Server - UK Proxy Server – IP address for BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player, Live UKTV, Spotify, Sky Sports for around $12 per month

or do a google search for ''UK proxy BBC''

just make sure you have enough bandwidth from your ISP

Cant use it myself as on a wifi or Broadband mobile most of the time.

• 1 year later...
Guest welshjoe

hey everyone from wales, i am arriving in Melbourne in March, would there be anywhere to watch the last of the 6 nations?? also as i am traveling for a year any contacts would be awsome, diolch :em3600:

Guest Lewis clan
hey everyone from wales, i am arriving in Melbourne in March, would there be anywhere to watch the last of the 6 nations?? also as i am traveling for a year any contacts would be awsome, diolch :em3600:

Hi Joe,. Pob Lwc and if you are down on the Peninsula, contact us to say hello and maybe a barbie :) Lyn

• 2 months later...

It's good to see a few Welsh people here!

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Melbourne in September (I was offered a job a couple of weeks back), but the decision is made so much harder by the fact that we love our lives in Aberystwyth... Been here almost 5 years: she's English and I'm French, but we both feel more attached to Wales than anywhere else... And I can tell you that the last game of this year's 6 Nations down our village pub was great fun! As the only one wearing a blue shirt, I don't think I've ever had that many offers of free drinks! And I'd miss learning Welsh in Australia. Unless someone knows of Welsh classes?

ben

Hi everyone! :animal-sheep:

I've only just noticed this thread. Me and my girlfriend are from Swansea and hopefully heading to Melbourne towards the end of the year if our application runs smoothly. Nice to see there are some other Welshies who have made the move.

I think leaving Swansea City Football Club is going to be my most tearful goodbye. :em4600:

Hopefully catch up with some of you when we get over there.

All the best,

Ben.

Guest Lewis clan

Good luck with the move - we live down on the Peninsula, love the rugby and speak Welsh!!

It's good to see a few Welsh people here!

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Melbourne in September (I was offered a job a couple of weeks back), but the decision is made so much harder by the fact that we love our lives in Aberystwyth... Been here almost 5 years: she's English and I'm French, but we both feel more attached to Wales than anywhere else... And I can tell you that the last game of this year's 6 Nations down our village pub was great fun! As the only one wearing a blue shirt, I don't think I've ever had that many offers of free drinks! And I'd miss learning Welsh in Australia. Unless someone knows of Welsh classes?

ben

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tev40

Hi all, been reading lots of posts in P.I.O but this is my first comment.

We are a welsh family from Cardiff, myself, hubby and 2 girls (13 and 8). We were granted a visa in December , state sponsorship for Canberra, (which we've never been to). We are flying to Oz in October to validate our visas and are going to Melbourne and will be travelling up to Sydney stopping in Canberra on the way....very,very mixed feelings at the moment as the visa application was very much hubbys idea

Some days I'm excited, others i'm absolutely scared to death

• 1 month later...

Hey!! I've just found this thread so may be a bit late but see some fellow welsh people - YAY!- and even more so, some in geelong!?! Wow! That's awesome :) I'm 27 & emigrated here 2 years ago with my aussie fiance. Would be awesome to meet up with fellow brits, especially welshies, in geelong (most seem to be in melb so a bit of a trek sometimes really!) :) x

Archived