Welsh in Melbourne??

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Hi, Did anything get organised for Welsh get togethers in Melbourne area? We have moved over from West Wales since Oct 09 and husband would love to talk Welsh Rugby and all Welsh Sport actually, and kids would love to hear others with Welsh Accents.!!! Let me know and count us in!! Lyn

Hi lyn where in melb are you my hubby likes to talk rugby to how old are your children my son is 16 we moved to melb oct 08 we live in lyndhurst hope you have a good new year were going up the city for new year should be good with all the fire works kids should love it and trains free

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lewis clan

Hi There, We are in Hoppers Crossing, also going to the city - Yarra Park - tonight. Got 3 girls - 10, 7 and 2. All speak Welsh and Neil - husband - also speaks Welsh Rugby!!! Just a thought - noticed on Welsh in Melbourne website last night that they are having a picnic on 17th Jan in Fitzroy. May post a new thread re this and encourage other Welshies to come along. Are you up for it? My friend also lives here - she is English but lived in Wales 20 years so adopted by us!! She would love it too!!

Think I will deffo place the new post. Will get the details off the website first though. Great to hear from you!!

Lyn

Guest Lewis clan

Hi, What a washout!! Really disappointed but still great fun getting absolutely soaked. Kids said it was just like being in Wales!!! Lyn

Guest Toorak Trev

Not Welsh, but happy to tag along to any international rugby games. As you welsh boys do enjoy a good game (even if it is being demolished by the might ALL BLACKS:wink:)

Any body venturing across to Auckland for the world cup?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest huwjames82

Hi I moved to Melbourne in October and the number of welsh is a bit few and far between does anybody know if there is a bar open to watch the wales england games that the welsh can corngigate In?? and if so are there any any takers a get together?

Guest Lewis clan

Not sure re Bars although there is a celtic bar somewhere - look on Welsh in melbouirne website. My other half would be more than intersetd - avid rugby fan and missing it like mad. Sky is on constantaly so he can get snippets for his fix. Please PM us. It will be good to hear a Welsh accent apart from the ones we hear on the webcam!!!

Neil and Lyn

Guest taffyinoz

the elephant & wheelbarrow in st kilda shows the rugby sometimes, the football too, a lot of backpackers/travelers are in there so you meet a big range of people. i'm up for watching the rugby just send me a message, or if anyone is keen to try the pub with 80 different types of beer i'll be happy to meet up

Guest mufcforever

Very amusing to find all you welsh longing for each others company,why bother coming to aus in the first place, we have been here 12 years from Lancashire we are moving home next week though as we are English in our hearts forever , might i add we are frequent visitors to Anglessey when back home and crazy as you dreamers may find it what an utterly gorgeous place with superb roads ,uncrowded beaches and a coastline you would sruggle to match ,Britain as it used to be but still is. The real people of Australia the Aborigines strongly beleive you are where you were born i agree.

Guest taffyinoz
Very amusing to find all you welsh longing for each others company,why bother coming to aus in the first place, we have been here 12 years from Lancashire we are moving home next week though as we are English in our hearts forever , might i add we are frequent visitors to Anglessey when back home and crazy as you dreamers may find it what an utterly gorgeous place with superb roads ,uncrowded beaches and a coastline you would sruggle to match ,Britain as it used to be but still is. The real people of Australia the Aborigines strongly beleive you are where you were born i agree.

i dont know whats so amusing to you, every nationality over here enjoys the company of their fellow countryman/woman, with everyone moving here for different reasons it's good to share the same interest & stories & help each other with different asspects of being away from family & friends.

Guest Lewis clan

Yes, Thanks Taffy, I agree. The Welsh have a very different sense of humour to the English, and yes, we like to share that with others who appreciate it!!! When you refer to Anglesey, this is an area about 5 hours drive to where we lived, where there is also no industry and high unemployment. The opportunities available are very low. As Taffy Said, everyone moves for differing reasons - ours being the health condition of our daughter. As much as we love Wales, her condition could not improve while living in a wetter environnment. So before you cast aspertions on others for wanting to meet others they would feel comfortable with, look at the bigger picture!!! In addition, we want to meet others who love the wonderful game of Rugby Union and who enjoy watching the Welsh - or any other team - when they beat the English!!!

Guest sabretiger

Well i agree with them all i was born in aus 64 left 67 (parents fault) lol and returned nov2009 just met lewis clan thank god and loving them loads cos they lush. we are welshies through and through and australia is fabulous for my health too. i came with painter and decorator hubby on different type of visa. we never had to have loads of money but we dont need it here cos the life is better and besides the english are boring people and they just cant take a joke .!!!!!!! geez crikey get a grip nothing changes between rugby or footy does it either we are all human after all . have a gday !

Guest mufcforever

I think the Lewis clan could be the old welsh extremists,''beat the english''whats that all about ,i reckon i touched a nerve thats all.As for 5 hour drive were you in cornwall or what!

Either that or a lada, as for your so called sense of humour and it being different to ours , can you name me one welsh comedian that i would have heard of and then ill name you 100 English comedians you would know. you and the aussies have more in common than you might think, you both want to beat us more than any other country ,at anything because you still see England as the ultimate. Ill bet you there is more welsh in England

than english in wales . And chill out somemore i sense some frustration in your text.

Guest taffyinoz
I think the Lewis clan could be the old welsh extremists,''beat the english''whats that all about ,i reckon i touched a nerve thats all.As for 5 hour drive were you in cornwall or what!

Either that or a lada, as for your so called sense of humour and it being different to ours , can you name me one welsh comedian that i would have heard of and then ill name you 100 English comedians you would know. you and the aussies have more in common than you might think, you both want to beat us more than any other country ,at anything because you still see England as the ultimate. Ill bet you there is more welsh in England

than english in wales . And chill out somemore i sense some frustration in your text.

i'll name you a welsh comedian, ruth jones (co writer & actress on gavin & stacey) now your 100 please.

as for the lewis clan being "extremists", if being passionate about your country & wanting your team to beat an old rival when they play a sport that you love then i must be an EXTREMIST.

as with us having a lot in common with the aussies you'll find it's a common thought everywhere in the world that everyone loves to see you loose just due to the arrogance & the attitude of some of you

i thought this thread was meant to be about welsh people in melbourne not a sour english person who wants to have a go at us just because we enjoy spending time with people with the same interests????????

Guest Lewis clan

Frustration possibly at people like you responding to a thread which really did not relate to you to in any way, apart from the fact that you may have been on holiday to Anglesey.!!! It is quite sad that you decided to interrupt an otherwise friendly, useful and happy thread with your comments.

I note from other threads you have responded to, that you have actually been here 2 years and not 12, and also note much anger and quite bigoted attitudes in your responces. Such attitudes can often give other English people a bad name, and stick out somewhat in people's memories, a reason why most of the world wishes to beat the English at anything!!! It also gives us Brits a very bad name. The unfortunate aspect is that your attitudes are not held by the majority of your fellow English men and women, but attitudes such as yours gives the others a bad name.

I cannot understand why you responded to the thread, however I have a feeling that it was to annoy others, as you possibly 'get off' on this. Quite sad I think.

Why are you going back to the UK? Are your attitudes making it difficult for you live here without getting on the nerves of others?? Your return will not be a huge loss.

You say you sense frustartion in my post - I sense a dislike of Australia in yours, despite only being here 2 years??

Welsh Comedian? - Max Boyce, Rhod Gilbert , me, Taffinoz, sabretiger, etc etc. We are all happy people who see the lighter side of life, and I must say that your post gave me much amusement!! At least your comments have managed to get us all together for a meet up!!! Maybe you should look at a career in event managemnet - although I sense that your attitudes and beliefs may not assist in getting you work.

As for Welsh in England comment - how sad to say that!!! I have many English friends who have made Wales their home - possibly because the prescriptions were free!!! (Joke - get it!!!).

The essence of the thread was to contact other country men and women and children who share interests, attitudes, humour and language - yes, not sure if you realised this but we even have our own language, which many other immigrants to Australia actively use on a daily basis, so why not get together with other Welsh people to use the language? However, I sense that your belief system and attitude does not agree with this either.

On a final note, please take this responce in the light hearted humour that it is written in - by a Welsh Person who enjoys life, is happy and always sees the cup as half full.

Guest sabretiger

Think that just about told u mufcforever.

I agree with taff and lewisclan. I even lived in barry island where they filmed gavin and stacey and right opposite the house they filmed from too next door to uncle bryn (lol).

Trust me all of the set were fab and funny and amazing welsh peeps . No arrogance no crying and deff no supporters of man united foot club. Lets face it that says it all cos man united supporters really are a bunch of cry babies whenever they lose and they want to fight the world before during and after any match.

I think the only nerves that have been hit are yours smack bang on cue.

Wales is a lush country and no smog or bull**** floating just pure lovely valleys and beaches.

WHY!!!! are u going back to u.k. then ??????????? I know because your not made welcome cos u got a big chip on your shoulder... I got a wheelchair and i feel alive !!!!!!

Guest huwjames82

I think the only pub option for watching the game live is the celtic club in the city centre as the elephant will be shut when the game is on live 4 in the morning. however I think the game will be replayed at some point on sunday i will check but the elephant and wheelbarrow in st kilda should be showing it i will endevor to find out the time and post it. and if every one is happy with the pub we could have an open invite to whach the game on the sunday.

Guest mufcforever

Us here two years, or two years ago i found this site, how shallow is that!

Only Aussie citizens for last seven years,the last post towards me was more like a short novel ,fell asleep half way through( thanks lewis clan)what makes me laugh is youre talking to real people who hav'nt needed to seek out there own countrymen in order to get by

here, and add to that we are all qualified and constantly been employed over here since 97

youre post makes for amusing piffle.You do gooders enjoy your get together cos ill definately enjoy my trip to Anglessey soon ,we have been what Australia wanted -to fit into aussie life as a migrant should and not to colonise with your own kind in certain suburbs,suppose you lot do your shopping in Broadmeadows or Coburg or Preston or Richmond to name only a few do you, didnt think so! Your guilty for this colonisation happening because you all want the same not Australia. We are going home because we feel totally let down by australias immigration policy why! because we are not somalian or iraqi or lebanese or indian or welsh these nations quite obviously do not integrate into aussie society well, they just want there country only here.

No worries you wont miss us,just hope you enjoy your third world newcomers who not long ago were ****ting in the street. Hope you enjoy Australia day cos ill certainly enjoy our day the day of st george.

Guest mufcforever

Ill make this my last post on here as it dosent apply to me anymore, but i will say this-The Australia we found in 1997 in Perth was refreshingly clean ,bright and no sign of politcal

correctness present , crime like anywhere else yet still felt truly better .

The Australia i now find in 2010 is obsessed with being just like England and USA,have massive cultural and youth proplems and unemployment ,it is more expensive than most of Great Britain to live in ,work obsessed and over the top with most things ,what is the reason for this- too much migration ,ironic as it may sound but the fact that so many uk people head back says it all to me i do not beleive people like what they see here anymore ,you are caught between every nationality under the sun and spoilt brat like hoons everywhere ,australian life is evolving into very much its own ways and habits,way different to what i had intended for my family,the other day i passed an aussie flag with the union jack cut out in coburg, i was on the tram at the time surrounded by allsorts, thats alright though ill take my family home ,farewell Australia with refugees ,arabs,muslims and worsed of all pc do gooders coming in every day i think we are heading for a more honest place.

Guest Lewis clan

Think we need to leave it there, Cariad. Haveto say though I think that you will be surprised by what you find when you go back to England. It is no longer the English Rose that you seem to believe it is. But we didn't come here because of the issues - simply due to the better health condition for our daughter - short and simple!!!

PS Enoch Powell, your idol, was Welsh I believe!!

Kept it short this time in case your feeble mind falls asleep again.!!!

Archived