Civil Service

David72

Hi

I'm currently an executive Officer (EO) in the UK civil Service and will be moving to Melbourne with my wife in Feb 16.

Does anybody have any experience of looking for the equivalent Australian Government jobs?

Hi

I'm currently an executive Officer (EO) in the UK civil Service and will be moving to Melbourne with my wife in Feb 16.

Does anybody have any experience of looking for the equivalent Australian Government jobs?

You need to be at least a permanent resident to apply, and for some jobs you must be a citizen. Obviously a lot of government jobs are in Canberra, where the government is!

You need to be at least a permanent resident to apply, and for some jobs you must be a citizen. Obviously a lot of government jobs are in Canberra, where the government is!

Sorry should of said my wife is Australian so I will be on a spouse visa. Also looking for public sector jobs rather than just central Gov.

BTW it's not Civil Service in Aus (they'd look at you weirdly!) it's Public Service. State Public Service jobs may be open to you if you have permanent residence (not if you are temporary though I believe) but federal (APS) jobs will not be available to you until you have citizenship. Do try and take a career break from your UK position - just in case!

edited to say - yes, between us, many years of PS applications. They will all take much longer to complete than you may think. Just because jobs are advertised it doesn't mean they have no one sitting in them waiting to slip in permanently. In Aus it ain't what you know but who you know nudge nudge wink wink. Competition for PS jobs is always very high and local knowledge and experience will be a trump card. Make sure your application is in Aussie format (get advice!) and tailor each application to the selection criteria (the STAR process is good) Good luck!

Hi

David I too was an EO in the UK Civil Service, it really means nothing here as you have to be a citizen which takes 4 years and by then you've been out of it too long. Try local council, but very difficult to get in.

Archived