Uber cars

Personally i wouldn't use them not just because of my daughter situation. I was already dubious about them and had told her not to use them but i wasn't there to stop her. On a positive note for Uber they have rang my daughter said how sorry they are and they take these matters very seriuosly. The driver has been removed from the system and the fare has been refunded. To be fair this could easily have happened in a proper taxi too i guess.

Whatever you think that is, it is not regulation.

It isn't a grey area. It is black and white, they are not insured. In Australia there are no companies writing policies for commercial use of private vehicles.

1. Regulation can take many forms, you are talking in the traditional sense by way of a body/law. Rating drivers and making them pass background checks is a way of regulating who can drive for Uber. But thanks for the patronising tone.

2, Read into it a bit more, it is a grey area, or have you got any evidence to back this up?

My daughter hasn't had a problem with registered ones Stacey, often comes home alone

No my daughter has never had a problem before with registered ones either and she uses them a lot her employer pays for them when she works a dinner shift at the restaurant. She's a pastry chef. Why she chose to use uber last night i'm not sure? Pretty sure she won't again

Please i didn't want a slanging match over this just wanted to warn people about this. In particular ladies travelling alone. I'd hate for anyone else to have this happen to them or worse.

No my daughter has never had a problem before with registered ones either and she uses them a lot her employer pays for them when she works a dinner shift at the restaurant. She's a pastry chef. Why she chose to use uber last night i'm not sure? Pretty sure she won't again

I expect she chose them because they are so much cheaper and that's the problem, many will use them to save money. Hope it doesn't effect her too badly in the future. Honestly you tell them not to walk out alone late at night and the very people who are supposed to take them home safely are the ones to watch.

Please i didn't want a slanging match over this just wanted to warn people about this. In particular ladies travelling alone. I'd hate for anyone else to have this happen to them or worse.

Fair enough you are right and you should definitely warn, sounds terrible. Won't respond further as it Uber seems to be a touchy subject!

Glad your daughter got away and has gone to the police and this guy can no longer drive people via uber (regulated?)

You have not started a slanging match , we all hope your daughter makes a speedy recovery from a very nasty experience.

I have been reading and listening to comments about uber, and what your daughter went through was excactly what was predicted would happen, but for some reason a lot of people are defending urber,

It is totaly illegal they can under cut taxis because they don't have to pay any licence fees,are not insured to opperate as a business.

I expect she chose them because they are so much cheaper and that's the problem, many will use them to save money. Hope it doesn't effect her too badly in the future. Honestly you tell them not to walk out alone late at night and the very people who are supposed to take them home safely are the ones to watch.

I hope so she's very independant. She's lived away from home since she went to the city for college at aged 18. I've always worried about her travelling home at night she doesn't drive due to a medical condition.

1. Regulation can take many forms, you are talking in the traditional sense by way of a body/law. Rating drivers and making them pass background checks is a way of regulating who can drive for Uber. But thanks for the patronising tone.

2, Read into it a bit more, it is a grey area, or have you got any evidence to back this up?

There was nothing patronising about my tone.

Did you read this thread, a young girl was very lucky not to have been raped as far as I can deduce. And you are still defending this unregulated company?

And yes I do know for a fact that there are no companies offering insurance for private vehicles operating on a commercial basis in Australia. I know this through my occupation. It is you that needs to read into it a bit more.

There was nothing patronising about my tone.

Did you read this thread, a young girl was very lucky not to have been raped as far as I can deduce. And you are still defending this unregulated company?

And yes I do know for a fact that there are no companies offering insurance for private vehicles operating on a commercial basis in Australia. I know this through my occupation. It is you that needs to read into it a bit more.

You seem wanting to derail this further so i must reply. You stated the drivers were unregulated (Not the company). They are regulated by uber and the customers of uber. Feel free to look up "regulate" in a dictionary.

2. Uber has insurance (can google that) and Uber is a ridesharing app not a taxi service. Have you got any evidence that people haven't been covered in a crash - I can't find any.

Yes it is awful about this driver, but are you saying that no taxi driver has done something similar? I would say it has always been a problem particularly in certain cultures.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/we-cant-ignore-the-reality-of-cab-attacks-20130920-2u56s.html

My son uses them all the time. I've had a few discussions with him about maybe not but he says he gets a nice clean car that doesn't smell of curry and the price is negotiated before he gets in and usually cheaper. He got ripped off last Christmas but really wanted to just get home and the regular taxis had a massive waiting list.

Sounds really scary for your girl and the guy needs locking up for a long time.

Personally i wouldn't use them not just because of my daughter situation. I was already dubious about them and had told her not to use them but i wasn't there to stop her. On a positive note for Uber they have rang my daughter said how sorry they are and they take these matters very seriuosly. The driver has been removed from the system and the fare has been refunded. To be fair this could easily have happened in a proper taxi too i guess.

That's a bit lame from Uber. If it was a regular taxi the guy wouldn't be let off with being removed from the system, he would be up before the courts with video evidence.

My son is a uber driver, he has also in the past drove normal taxi's. He says uber is probably more safe than normal taxi's, and the reasons are:- no cash money is used. The uber driver is logged into the system when he checks-in, the potential passenger is also logged into the system when they request a ride share. So that for every ride it is known whom both the driver and the passenger are, along with the times and locations (at least the pick-up location), in other words the trip is more closely monitored and recorded than any taxi ride.

He had to do some sort of test and registration with the Qld dept of transport along with having insurance prior to even registering with uber itself.

At present he is doing very little business at the moment due to the higher number of drivers now on the system, this can only mean there is an increase in it's popularity from both drivers and users alike.

When I was back in the UK earlier this year in Leeds the place was full of them, noticed because they have to have signage on their vehicles .............. yet another safety measure may need to be brought in here in Aus.

That's a bit lame from Uber. If it was a regular taxi the guy wouldn't be let off with being removed from the system, he would be up before the courts with video evidence.

The police are involved now they are investigating. My daughter has been receiving phone calls from a blocked number ten last night and six this morning. We suspect it's the creep uber driver but can't be sure as she doesn't answer calls from blocked numbers or numbers she doesn't know.

The police are involved now they are investigating. My daughter has been receiving phone calls from a blocked number ten last night and six this morning. We suspect it's the creep uber driver but can't be sure as she doesn't answer calls from blocked numbers or numbers she doesn't know.

I suspect the police will be able to check if it's him. Very scary and makes my skin crawl.

Archived