Temporary Resident despite 189 Visa?

parthvader89

I seem to have hit a new problem, just when I thought the long arduous journey of getting a 189 visa was over. I wanted to apply to University of Sydney as a domestic student (their description includes permanent residents of Australia). However, when they checked my status on VEVO, they said it was temporary resident.

I double checked on VEVO, it shows my status as RESIDENT and shows the details of my 189 visa. It does say that the stay period is 'Indefinite' in the last row but also shows Visa expiry date as 8 July 2020. Could this be a case of the University getting confused with the expiry date on the visa? (maybe they don't know that it only deals with returning to Australia?) Or could it be that PR only starts when I enter Australia on my 189? (which is a problem since they need to process my application ASAP,the only reason they waited this long was because I convinced them to wait for my 189 grant).

Either ways, need urgent advice here. Would be very grateful.

E mail them a copy of the visa grant. Have you validated the visa yet?

Already e-mailed them a copy of the visa grant and my entitlement info from VEVO, they weren't convinced for some reason. I'm inclined to agree with you and blossom that this is a confusion on their part (they are a university after all, not visa experts). However, it seems its going to be one hell of a mission to convince them of this. Is there any proof/certificate one can give them besides the visa grant?

Your not asking for HECS or anything? As that's for Citizens? Other than that it could just be someone a bit inexperienced in admin.

Yes, HECS is only for citizens, so not asking for that. I am however eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place (limited places in postgraduate courses) or a Domestic Full Fee Place. International fees is still considerably more than either of these options.

Have you activated your visa ie landed in Australia and then left the country again? (Or stayed)

Nope. I received my 189 visa grant 2 days ago and haven't traveled to Australia on this visa. I think I know what you are hinting at, but I checked with a friend of mine who is currently in Australia on a 186 visa (permanent residence), and his details on VEVO show the same thing i.e. 'Status: RESIDENT'. Do employers/organisations get the same information sheet on VEVO that visa holders get when they check their own entitlements?

Already e-mailed them a copy of the visa grant and my entitlement info from VEVO, they weren't convinced for some reason. I'm inclined to agree with you and blossom that this is a confusion on their part (they are a university after all, not visa experts). However, it seems its going to be one hell of a mission to convince them of this. Is there any proof/certificate one can give them besides the visa grant?

Most Universities (and large HR departments )here deal with visas a fair bit as a lot of students are on visas of various kinds. They really ought to know what a permanent residence visa is. I would refer them to the page on the mmigration site which states its a permanent visa, and/or suggest that the phone Immigration and check with them! And tell whoever is in touch with you to check with their HR department, I'm sure someone there will have more knowledge.

Have you activated your visa ie landed in Australia and then left the country again? (Or stayed)

This is likely the issue. As your PR visa has not be activate yet..only granted. If you do not enter by the date your visa is cancelled.

Most Universities (and large HR departments )here deal with visas a fair bit as a lot of students are on visas of various kinds. They really ought to know what a permanent residence visa is. I would refer them to the page on the mmigration site which states its a permanent visa, and/or suggest that the phone Immigration and check with them! And tell whoever is in touch with you to check with their HR department, I'm sure someone there will have more knowledge.

I thought the same about Medicare, in an area with lots of immigrants. My visa grant even said perminant on it but they still wouldn't accept it. They had no idea what VEVO was when I told them to check in there (even though immi says it's used by Medicare) and they refused to phone. I eventually convinced them to put it in, but they were convinced it would be rejected. Of course it wasn't.

Nope. I received my 189 visa grant 2 days ago and haven't traveled to Australia on this visa. I think I know what you are hinting at, but I checked with a friend of mine who is currently in Australia on a 186 visa (permanent residence), and his details on VEVO show the same thing i.e. 'Status: RESIDENT'. Do employers/organisations get the same information sheet on VEVO that visa holders get when they check their own entitlements?

So activate the visa, it isn't really in force until then.

This is likely the issue. As your PR visa has not be activate yet..only granted. If you do not enter by the date your visa is cancelled.

I think you might be right. Just confirmed with my mate who is already in Australia on his 186, his info sheet on VEVO does in fact have one extra row in the end for 'Visa Type' and it says 'permanent resident' there. Everything else is exactly like mine.

My best bet would be to try and convince them to accept my grant as adequate proof. Could argue based on my VEVO details saying that the stay period is indefinite, illegal for me to enrol as international student etc. (any other ideas in this regard are welcome).

Else, I'll have to fly immediately. Hopefully the VEVO status will change as soon as I set foot in Melbourne.

Quite often the entry requirements for postgrad degrees are lower for international students than local domestic students...so you will need to check whether you will still get an offer as a domestic student (this is true for USyd degrees not sure about other unis)

Quite often the entry requirements for postgrad degrees are lower for international students than local domestic students...so you will need to check whether you will still get an offer as a domestic student (this is true for USyd degrees not sure about other unis)

If this is the case, I would rather apply as an international student from outside Australia and just when I get an offer and the course is about to start, go 'oh by the way, I just became a permanent resident as soon as I walked into the country'.

If this is the case, I would rather apply as an international student from outside Australia and just when I get an offer and the course is about to start, go 'oh by the way, I just became a permanent resident as soon as I walked into the country'.

Although you tend to pay in advance.

Archived