Skilled Occupation List (SOL) 2015-2016

CaptainC

Ok.... so the Occupation Ceilings have been updated/released for the 2015/2016 programme year. ICT Professionals should be encouraged by the slight increase in the ceiling to their job code compared to last year. Although they do state that the job code will be pro rated from the start over the whole coming programme year, along with a couple of other ones too - such as Accountants. Not a bad thing I suppose.... at least it means invites will happen for the entire year instead of being taken early on.

"Due to high levels of demand, the below three occupation groups will be subject to pro rata arrangements to ensure availability of invitations across the programme year:

• ICT Business and System Analysts
  • Software and Applications Programmers
  • Accountants."

References: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Skil (then click on Occupation Celings tab).

Edited by RMT1980

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is pro rata arrangements?

Using 2613 - Software and Application Programmers as an example, it basically means they will ensure that of the 5364 places available in the whole programme year, that they will not issue/invite any more than 447 people from that Occupation per month (that assumes one invitation round per month of course). Basically they are ensuring that because of the high demand for those jobs that they will not all get invited and filled up before the end of the 2015/2016 programme year. They are limiting the number of invites per month on a pro rata basis to avoid that.

That's my understanding on it anyway... Anyone else is free to comment if they have a better explanation or find fault in my understanding.

Edited by RMT1980

Using 2613 - Software and Application Programmers as an example, it basically means they will ensure that of the 5364 places available in the whole programme year, that they will not issue/invite any more than 447 people from that Occupation per month (that assumes one invitation round per month of course). Basically they are ensuring that because of the high demand for those jobs that they will not all get invited and filled up before the end of the 2015/2016 programme year. They are limiting the number of invites per month on a pro rata basis to avoid that.

Ditto......what he said ^

(I'm glad your reply popped up on my screen before id started typing!)

For Accountants its sad news. The Accountant-General Quota has been reduced to more than half. Since pro-rata applies only 210/PM invitation will be issued to Accountants and those applying at 60 Points will have to wait for longer time or no invitation at all. Those with 65+ points will be lucky. IT is highly likely that Accounting General cut-off would be at 65 points, if so, there are plenty who would be left out. If DIBP do invite at 60 points, the Accounting quota will be full by end of the year. Will have to wait for the first invitation round to get published to know about Accounting cut off.

Damn I only have 60 points.

For Accountants its sad news. The Accountant-General Quota has been reduced to more than half. Since pro-rata applies only 210/PM invitation will be issued to Accountants and those applying at 60 Points will have to wait for longer time or no invitation at all. Those with 65+ points will be lucky. IT is highly likely that Accounting General cut-off would be at 65 points, if so, there are plenty who would be left out. If DIBP do invite at 60 points, the Accounting quota will be full by end of the year. Will have to wait for the first invitation round to get published to know about Accounting cut off.

It is not an ideal situation, I agree. But looking on the bright side, it is still open for accountants, they have been 'endangered' for a couple of years now.

Can you gain extra points? Maybe IELTS or PTE?

I'm damn lucky by that logic! ;)

Thanks! one question, my wife is a system analyst (sec applicant) and I am electrical engineer(Pri Applicant) and has claimed 05 points (partner skills) to make 60. Now this pro rata arrangement will also apply on my spouse ?

Pro rata arrangements only applies to the Primary applicant, if that is you then you'll be invited as normal. If the primary is your wife then Pro rata arrangements will apply.

Remember though that these pro rata arrangements are only applicable at the EOI/Invitation stage and once a visa application is submitted then it will be processed along with other GSM applications as normal.

It is not an ideal situation, I agree. But looking on the bright side, it is still open for accountants, they have been 'endangered' for a couple of years now.

Can you gain extra points? Maybe IELTS or PTE?

Hi there. I don't know whether I am being over optimistic in thinking that although accountants occupation ceiling has been reduced significantly, but now the CPA criteria for assessment has also gotten tougher. Now there are 7 instead of 4 mandatory knowledge areas that need to be fulfilled. So does that mean the number of people who will get positive skills assessment will also plunge?

Hi there. I don't know whether I am being over optimistic in thinking that although accountants occupation ceiling has been reduced significantly, but now the CPA criteria for assessment has also gotten tougher. Now there are 7 instead of 4 mandatory knowledge areas that need to be fulfilled. So does that mean the number of people who will get positive skills assessment will also plunge?

Valid point and something I wasn't aware of. However, people holding current skills assessments should be ok because it was undertaken before the rules changed.

Yes, people applying from overseas will find it tough to get a suitable assessment. How many core subjects you meet?

Yes, people applying from overseas will find it tough to get a suitable assessment. How many core subjects you meet?

I already have positive skills assessment, and I met all 12 core knowledge areas including all mandatory and optional ones.

hello captain!! I got invitation today for 189 :).

Just a question , in EOI , they have a tab "Apply for Visa" so at this moment can i click it to see what are the requirements? or the application need to be completed once it is clicked.

You can start to complete it, and save it as you go. Doesn't need to be completed in one go. Congratulations.

Thanks! about the payment I need to pay 4000 USD (approx) but my credit card limit is less than this amount so i can transfer by bank or use some one else card to pay?

As far as I can remember you cannot pay by transfer. I may be wrong though.

Also I think you can use someone else's card. However, I may be wrong on that too.

Is it just you on the visa? Or family members as well?