Is it easy filing for my tax refund by myself?

sonrivera

I'm here on a Working Holiday Visa from Canada and currently living in Sydney.

Just wondering if it's just as easy doing my own tax refund than going through a tax agency.

If so, how?

Trying to save all the money I can.

Thanks all:)

MyTax is for people with simple tax affairs, probably fine for you. ETax has been around for a few years, for people with more complex tax affairs, a rental property. I would be surprised if it took more than half an hour.

Just wondering if it's just as easy doing my own tax refund than going through a tax agency.

Yes, it is. There is a whole tax industry in Australia which does its best to convince you you're too stupid to do your own tax return. It's bollocks.

The only advantage of a tax agent is he/she knows about the various tax deductions which can be claimed. However the average worker isn't eligible to claim most of them so you get no benefit. Even if the agent finds one or two deductions, it's not likely to reduce your tax enough to compensate for the fee you paid!

Thanks for the info guys:)

Yeah, I'll definitely do my own tax refund than going to a tax agency.

Also, I don't understand how the forms aren't available yet. I thought the last day to file for your tax was tomorrow?

Are you certain it is a refund due? People often assume this, but it can be just as likely that you owe tax and also just as likely that you paid the right amount of tax..

Of course, irrelevant to the question about doing your own return, but you do seem to be making quite an assumption to me. WHV holders are often deemed non resident and therefore pay more tax than other people.

Thanks for the info guys:)

Yeah, I'll definitely do my own tax refund than going to a tax agency.

Also, I don't understand how the forms aren't available yet. I thought the last day to file for your tax was tomorrow?

The last day of the tax year is tomorrow so you can't put a return in until after tomorrow.

Normal people have until the end of October to put their returns in. If you use an agent or accountant you get longer.

Are you certain it is a refund due? People often assume this, but it can be just as likely that you owe tax and also just as likely that you paid the right amount of tax..

Of course, irrelevant to the question about doing your own return, but you do seem to be making quite an assumption to me. WHV holders are often deemed non resident and therefore pay more tax than other people.

Its not always a refund, some people like me always get a bill cos their employer stuffs up the tax.

Its changing this year too, you have to register with mygov and create an account there first before you can access the etax thing. Typical of oz, lets take a system that works and change it so its more complicated...........

Its not always a refund, some people like me always get a bill cos their employer stuffs up the tax.

Its changing this year too, you have to register with mygov and create an account there first before you can access the etax thing. Typical of oz, lets take a system that works and change it so its more complicated...........

That was my point, it is not always a refund. I only ever got a bill.

I also have had to register with mygov the last two years in order to do an online tax return! It is an unbelievably onerous process IMHO, not looking forward to it.

That was my point, it is not always a refund. I only ever got a bill.

I also have had to register with mygov the last two years in order to do an online tax return! It is an unbelievably onerous process IMHO, not looking forward to it.

Once you have registered with mygov once you don't have to register again and you can use it to access centrelink and Medicare as well. Just keep a note of your credentials somewhere in case you forget (Lastpass is really good for this). I really like the e-tax system. If you wait a week or three before trying to complete your tax return it will fill in most of the information for you. All you have to do then is check what is there, put in any additional earnings and deductions and press submit.

Once you have registered with mygov once you don't have to register again and you can use it to access centrelink and Medicare as well. Just keep a note of your credentials somewhere in case you forget (Lastpass is really good for this). I really like the e-tax system. If you wait a week or three before trying to complete your tax return it will fill in most of the information for you. All you have to do then is check what is there, put in any additional earnings and deductions and press submit.

I found etax really easy. Filled in all the details, dead simple for both of us.

This year i have to do my husbands tax on paper because it will not recognise him. It took me over an hour on the phone to the tax office to get my account to work and they say he has to ring them from the UK or i can't do his tax! I have done it from here for the last 5 years on etax with no problems -he only works here 6 months or so each year. They told me they had problems setting up my account because i had not registered with centrelink - i have no need to register with centrelink as i have nothing to do with them! The tax people then he should sign up with centrelink because then the tax claim would be easier. I don't see why, i can't get money from them, we have no need to use them, why should he fly over from the uk and go and see them just so i can claim his tax back?

We will both be putting in claims on paper this year.

I found etax really easy. Filled in all the details, dead simple for both of us.

This year i have to do my husbands tax on paper because it will not recognise him. It took me over an hour on the phone to the tax office to get my account to work and they say he has to ring them from the UK or i can't do his tax! I have done it from here for the last 5 years on etax with no problems -he only works here 6 months or so each year. They told me they had problems setting up my account because i had not registered with centrelink - i have no need to register with centrelink as i have nothing to do with them! The tax people then he should sign up with centrelink because then the tax claim would be easier. I don't see why, i can't get money from them, we have no need to use them, why should he fly over from the uk and go and see them just so i can claim his tax back?

We will both be putting in claims on paper this year.

It was the linking of the accounts and getting recognised that we found problematic last year too. Not the return itself, once you are in.

Thank you all! Thought the last day to file for your tax was today. So.... End of October. Got it! Thanks! :)

It is the last day of the tax year today! Same day tax filing would cause the system to collapse I am sure.

Thank you all! Thought the last day to file for your tax was today. So.... End of October. Got it! Thanks! :)

It would be impossible for most people to file their tax return today, because if you're still resident in Australia then you have to wait for your employer to send you your Group Certificate and your bank to tell you how much interest you've earned. Now most employers do it electronically, they process things within a day or two - but in the old days you could wait till mid or end July before you even got it.

Archived