Beyond the 417 Visa

DTSS

Hi there,

I'm a 21 year old male and I have large amount of family who are spread out over all of Australia. I have had this idea lately to go to Australia with a WHV (417).

My aunt says she has a spare room at her home in Sydney which I am welcome to stay in until I get on my feet. I have enough money saved to pay for well over a year for accommodation.

I want to go to Australia on a 417 and I never want to return to the UK. I've been working at a bank for a year and half but only as a teller so I am not really skilled or qualified...

My question is am I able to go to Australia and seek employment and get sponsored by any business I work for?

Or do i really have to have a skill on the SOL list https://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/sol.aspx

Basically could I go to Australia on a 417 find a job with preferably financial institution and get sponsorship which would eventually lead to permanent residency a couple of years down the line?

Also if I can only work for one employer for 6 months at a time and I must work in agriculture for 3 months to obtain a second year in Oz. Does that not make finding sponsorship a lot harder?

I mean why would a business want to sponsor someone who can only work for 6 months? Does the sponsorship override these rules?

There are actually two lists - the SOL and the CSOL. But yes, you do need an occupation on one to be sponsored and your current occupation is not on either

Oh damn it. Thanks for your swift response.

Maybe I should go to University instead of Australia I guess

A sponsored visa is a 457 which rquires employment sponsorship and allows you to work up to 4 years per visa.

Let's say you find a job in your line of work and they agree to sponsor you. For it to work

1) you have to be in a role that is on one of the two lists

2) you then must demonstrate that you are qualified for the role, usually by a degree or failing that other certifications or significant work expeience.

Looks like you are barking up the wrong tree and need to look at othe options.

A sponsored visa is a 457 which rquires employment sponsorship and allows you to work up to 4 years per visa.

Let's say you find a job in your line of work and they agree to sponsor you. For it to work

1) you have to be in a role that is on one of the two lists

2) you then must demonstrate that you are qualified for the role, usually by a degree or failing that other certifications or significant work expeience.

Looks like you are barking up the wrong tree and need to look at othe options.

Yeah it does. I appreciate your honesty.

Well ... back to the drawing board. Might have to obtain one of these skills which will take a long time....

Go out there and explore... You have to (generally) have 3 years POST qualification to get the relevant skills assessment anyway, so why not go and have a year or two in Aus?

By the way, you can find a sponsorship whilst you're out there. Just don't close all doors!

Good luck!

Go out there and explore... You have to (generally) have 3 years POST qualification to get the relevant skills assessment anyway, so why not go and have a year or two in Aus?

By the way, you can find a sponsorship whilst you're out there. Just don't close all doors!

Good luck!

To be sponsored, you need a skill on one of the occupation lists

Good luck!

some people can. The op can't.

Yeah it does. I appreciate your honesty.

Well ... back to the drawing board. Might have to obtain one of these skills which will take a long time....

It is unusual for any 21 year old to find a path from a WHV to another work related visa. Don't think I have come across many that have, on the other hand I have come across many 21 year old WHV holders desperate to stay but cannot find a path.

A 28 year old might move form WHV to an employer visa, if they were already established in a career, find work in their occupation, make themselves invaluable and go on to sponsorship. But 21 year old no. I wonder if you might be better off coming as a tourist now and "saving" the WHV for later, when you are more marketable in the workplace and have a better chance of moving on into something else. Or at least do the regional work, bank the second WHV and save that until later and for now just have the experience? You need to play the long game.

Archived