What did you do regarding renting when you arrived in Oz?

Major Tom

Hi folks, what's the good bad points about renting when you first arrived in Oz, what did you do?

• Rented fully furnished?
  • Rented part furnished?
  • Deposit, how much did you pay?
  • I've heard of full 6 months up front?
  • What is the average cost for a 4-5 bed with garage?
  • How do you go about organising from the UK?
  • Is there a list you need to be on with agents?
  • I've heard of people going into holiday let's for a few weeks whilst looking?
  • We have two dogs also, is the frowned upon?
  • what do I need to look out for?

Thanks for your help, don't know what I would do without this site!! :-)

Hi,

Our situation is slightly different as we were returning and already had Oz citizenship, but we rented unfurnished as we were bringing very little with us in the way of furniture, and the. Just bought everything off eBay, or from IKEA.

As as far as the 6 months up front goes, I don't personally know anyone who has had to do that, and I believe it's not recommended. The one thing I would recommend is to have your paperwork in order when you view a property. You can also apply online for properties before y view them if you tank they'll be any good. If you then don't like it you don't have to take it. The last time we moved we got offered three different properties. For our initial rental I was here on my own (OH and the kids were following), so I took photocopies of my passport, drivers licence, work contract and bank details. It pretty much meant that I could say "yes, I want it" and sign up for it there and then.

the average cost for a 4-5 bedroom is a pit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. Where are you looking? We are in Melbourne suburbs, and in our area it would cost you anything from around $500-$1,500 per week, depending on whether you are happy with an older property or want something new. Other suburbs and cities will have different costs. If you're looking in Melbourne I'm happy to advise on suburbs, but not so much help with other cities.

Hi folks, what's the good bad points about renting when you first arrived in Oz, what did you do?

In Sydney (and I believe Melbourne too), very few landlords rent furnished, so that's a choice that's likely to be taken out of your hands! Furnished places are usually short-term executive/holiday lets, which cost at least double the normal rent per week. You will definitely need to book something like that for your first few weeks though. Don't assume you'll just go house-hunting on your first weekend, choose something you like and just get it. I don't know where you're going, but in some parts of Australia competition for rentals can be stiff and with two dogs, you might find yourself being rejected in favour of pet-free applicants.

The deposit is just the bond of one month's rent, you can't be charged admin fees on top - in Australia the landlord pays those! I know you have to pay 6 months rent upfront if you're new to the UK (just had to do it) but haven't heard of that happening in Australia.

There's no list you need to be on. Agents won't come to you, you have to do all the work!

• Rented fully furnished?

• Rented part furnished?

• Deposit, how much did you pay?

• I've heard of full 6 months up front?

• What is the average cost for a 4-5 bed with garage?

• How do you go about organising from the UK?

• Is there a list you need to be on with agents?

• I've heard of people going into holiday let's for a few weeks whilst looking?

• We have two dogs also, is the frowned upon?

• what do I need to look out for?

Most people rent a short-term furnished place for about 4 weeks, then move into a rental on a 12 month lease which will almost always be completely unfurnished.

Leases are normally for 12 months with 1 months deposit and 1 months rent in advance.

BB

Comments in red.

• Rented fully furnished? Unfurnished. Furnished rentals are rare.
  • Rented part furnished? Unfurnished. Furnished rentals are rare.
  • Deposit, how much did you pay? Four weeks rent is normal.
  • I've heard of full 6 months up front? No. Not normal, although if you don't have employment it might be necessary. Otherwise, no way.
  • What is the average cost for a 4-5 bed with garage? Anything from a few hundred to a few thousand!!
  • How do you go about organising from the UK? You don't. It is the law in some states that property must be seen.
  • Is there a list you need to be on with agents? Yes prepare yourself a rental pack of key identification documents, evidence of employment or savings, references if you have them or a self written introduction about yourself.
  • I've heard of people going into holiday let's for a few weeks whilst looking? Well yes, if you want a roof over your head whilst you are looking. Holiday let, hotel, serviced apartment etc.
  • We have two dogs also, is the frowned upon? Frowned upon is not the right term. Some landlords won't consider pets, many will. Size of your dogs will probably come into it.
  • what do I need to look out for? Don't understand the question. Nothing you wouldn't look out for if renting in UK.

There's quite a bit on the rentals market in Brisbane if the moment if you are headed that way. Many landlords will say 'no pets' but could be negotiable - You may need to pay additional bond for dogs and you won't get your pick of the posher properties but should be OK. Maybe google some rental agencies in your target area and describe what you want - not recommended to rent sight unseen. I've seen some places that look amazing on realestate.com which are complete tips.

So, when we arrived in Sydney a little over a year ago we rented a furnished apartment for 6 weeks through AirBNB, then moved onto a 4 BR house in the outer suburbs (50 mins away from the CBD). Where we moved to is very competitive for both purchasing and rentals, and because we couldn't supply half of the documentation they required we did put down 6 months in advance to secure the rental. We are paying $560 per week for our 4BR with double garage, and then bills are around $600 per quarter for electricity and $80 a quarter for bottled gas.

Most people arrange a fully furnished place for the first 4- 6 weeks before they leave the UK. There are sites like Stayz and AIRBNB ,also dont rule out a cabin on a site as these are often a great option.

In that time you can find, view and apply for an unfurnished place which are normally available on a 6 or 12 mth lease. You will need to put together a 'pack' and apply for an unfurnished rental, dependent on area the application process can be tight, so best to have everything copied and ready to go when you view a property.

Cal x

I am jumping in on this thread as I was going to ask similar questions. We plan to spend 3 or 4 weeks somewhere in Brisbane and then use that time to find an unfurnished rental. The advice on getting a rental pack together is helpful, thank you. My OH is not letting me take our dogs so I guess it makes things a little easier.... Not happy though!!! People have mentioned cabins as interim accommodation, does anyone know of any if these in the Brisbane/Queensland area as I can't find any and quite like the idea of doing that. I have checked out AirBnB but their prices seem pretty steep! Thanks for any advice.

I am jumping in on this thread as I was going to ask similar questions. We plan to spend 3 or 4 weeks somewhere in Brisbane and then use that time to find an unfurnished rental. The advice on getting a rental pack together is helpful, thank you. My OH is not letting me take our dogs so I guess it makes things a little easier.... Not happy though!!! People have mentioned cabins as interim accommodation, does anyone know of any if these in the Brisbane/Queensland area as I can't find any and quite like the idea of doing that. I have checked out AirBnB but their prices seem pretty steep! Thanks for any advice.

Brisbane Holiday Village is popular for those coming to Brisbane and Ashmore Palms for those looking at the Gold Coast. When asking for a quote make sure you ask for a quote on an 'INTRIM cabin' if the stay is 4 weeks or more you should see a hefty discount

Cal x

Archived