How much money to take.

Star447

Hello everyone, after a little advice, my family and I(wife and two teenage kids) will be moving to Australia very soon but i am getting a little hung up on how much money to take out there. My wife and i will be looking for work immediately but would like to have at least two months worth of money to take care of rent,food,utility bills etc......can anybody give me some very rough figures as to how much would get us by? Or can anybody who travelled with a family tell me how much they went out with and if they coped okay?

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, after a little advice, my family and I(wife and two teenage kids) will be moving to Australia very soon but i am getting a little hung up on how much money to take out there. My wife and i will be looking for work immediately but would like to have at least two months worth of money to take care of rent,food,utility bills etc......can anybody give me some very rough figures as to how much would get us by? Or can anybody who travelled with a family tell me how much they went out with and if they coped okay?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, We are a couple and are allocating $20,000 for 2 months, Were having one week off and then straight into job hunting. Melbourne is our destination.

I was wondering the same thing!! I'm at the very first stages so just researching at the min but the plan is to be over in 2 years. I was hoping to find a job prior to going, I'm a teacher so do you think this possible?? Or can you not apply until there?

Simply bring as much as you can. I would never judge however we moved to Brisbane with circa $50k and a job already secured. We have no kids, were discouraged to pay rent in advance and paid for 50% of a car. We bought over nearly everything we needed so had to buy very little. Now settled we have about $30k left although $15k is tied up in the car which is to be sold.

Be prepared, money disappears quickly, we had a running joke that everything initially costs $200.

S

Without a job then I'd plan for at least 3-6 months expenditure - how much that is is difficult for anyone else to say but if you times your current expenditure (minus your mortgage) by 2.5 then add on your expected rent then that'll give you a ball park figure.

If you plan to make any major purchases e.g. car, furniture before securing a job then you will need to add the cost of those too.

We moved out with £70k and jobs to go to - though I didn't start for 3 months - and it disappeared quickly, we did spend $24k buying a car outright but then we'd sold our cars in the UK for £15k (& that was part of the £70k - the rest from selling our house)

Other people have moved out with £10k and made it work though but I have also known people unable to find work and forced to move back before they are destitute and no longer have the funds for the flights home.

If you're planning on moving here and making Australia your home, why not just bring all that you have? I think that if you leave money back in the UK it almost makes it easier to move back when and if times get tough.

We bought all we had which if I remember right was about $25k and it's a good job as I struggled to get a job for six months. Luckily my wife came out with a job, but still the money disappears very fast whilst you're getting set up.

I agree with Parley Cross, plan for the worst and hope for the best, then you should be pretty good.

Good luck with the move :)

As others have said, bring what you have and be prepared for it to evaporate. Almost nobody waits until they have a specific amount of money, they come with either a little or a lot depending on how much they have, and they just have to make it work. For Poms, emigration is financial suicide; you have to do it for love rather than money.

There was one guy on here (Eugene Kirk) who had a specific amount of money in mind to move - he never reached his target, his visa expired and he is still living in Berkshire. That's a lesson for everyone, I think.

Archived