How soon??

Guest51810

Wondering when I should book flights? Should I wait nearer the time - is it likely to go down in price or more likely to get more expensive? I'm keen to book the now but worried it's maybe a bit early and I'm too eager. This is if I was going straight to australia rather than thailand.

The flight is £550 (im just booking single)

Well I think it would be silly to book flights until you have saved up the money you will need for the year, $5K or so.

No point booking flights until you have the money you need to support yourself.

But no doubt you will have other ideas.

Wondering when I should book flights? Should I wait nearer the time - is it likely to go down in price or more likely to get more expensive? I'm keen to book the now but worried it's maybe a bit early and I'm too eager. This is if I was going straight to australia rather than thailand.

The flight is £550 (im just booking single)

Ive researched this out of my ears lol I'm booking by the beginning of July for January. Everyone I have spoke to have said it's very very rare nowadays for there to be a drop in prices nearer the time. Unless the flight is unexpectedly quite. :-)

If it's any help, I booked 8 months in advance, and it was 900 for a return. I don't know about one ways but when I looked closer to the time at return flights again it wasn't cheaper, just the same price or more. I think that's a good price for a one way as other one ways I'd paid around 700.

So you want to book flights when you only have enough to pay for the flight.

Go ahead.

But don't complain when the flight comes around and you don't have enough to go.

Not that it's any of your business but I actually have almost £2k. I'm on track for saving 900-1000 most months. The joys of loads of overtime and not much of a social life

Go ahead.

But don't complain when the flight comes around and you don't have enough to go.

I did say something similar to Stacey yesterday but she has a solid financial plan in place so will definitely be okay!

The question is when is the cheapest time to book flights - a recent canvass of opinion of my friends on FB recently said 5 weeks before but that may have only applied to European short haul flights.

Go ahead.

I did the same. I had about 1500 when I paid for my flight. I booked 8 months in advanced so I saved another 5 thousand pounds in the next 8 months. Booking the flight so early made it real and gave me the motivation to carry on working hard and saving up.

You're asking for advice Stacey and I'm giving it.

Of course whether you accept any advice given is entirely up to you.

If you don't want it, why ask though.

Again my advice is make sure you go with enough money.

Someone going with $400 or whatever it was is ridiculous. Whether you get past the border guards is not the issue it is whether your money will run out before you find work and having enough money to holiday trips in Australia without worrying about running out of money.

I think a lot of people do that. The girls im chatting to have all booked their flights already but not all of them have saved all the money yet.

I'll be putting away any birthday money I get too and my family have said they'll give me money instead of xmas presents.

Do some people get tax refunds if they leave halfway through the tax year.. That would help too lol.

Jeeze. When have I ever said Id go with $400. I thought you knew me by now - I wouldn't go without the legal funds. I worry about little things.. Do you really think Id do anything illegal like that.

I was chatting to a au pair agency earlier today too about jobs

I would book it, will give you the motivation to save from today with a date set. I booked when I had about 2k and as soon as I booked it seemed real and I brought full austerity in.

I would book it, will give you the motivation to save from today with a date set. I booked when I had about 2k and as soon as I booked it seemed real and I brought full austerity in.

There will be more austerity in my life than George Osborne has planned lol. Every time I moan about doing a shift I'll just think of what I could spend it on over there.

I'm thinking of selling my calvin Harris ticket but I don't know if I can bring myself to. :cry: it's my one treat to myself

Have a look at this

http://www.momondo.co.uk/flights/edi/syd/flights-from-edinburgh-to-sydney.html

Suggests 2 to 4 months beforehand is the cheapest time to buy so maybe hold off a little while longer?

I might hold off till August then.

I have the total fear about telling my work when the time comes even though they are used to people leaving quite often

I think a lot of people do that. The girls im chatting to have all booked their flights already but not all of them have saved all the money yet.

I'll be putting away any birthday money I get too and my family have said they'll give me money instead of xmas presents.

Do some people get tax refunds if they leave halfway through the tax year.. That would help too lol.

Stacey don't mention birthday money!! remembering past critiiciism!!!

I don't know how true this is, but Tuesday is supposed to be the cheapest day to fly.

Good luck with your plans.