I don't see anyone else going to Adelaide?

greenbl

Hey all!

Debut post :)

I have my WHV and flight booked for 25th November, the wait is excruciating, totally buzzing to go!!!

I've been browsing forums and stuff and I see pretty much everyone is going to either Melbourne or Sydney...

Isn't anyone else going to Adelaide?

That's where I'm off too, think I'm going to be the only one at this rate?!

If anyone else is heading out that way get in touch, I won't know anyone so would be good to make friends!

Hi mate, not going to Adelaide, but have been in the past.

theres a GREAT hostel in the suburb of Glenelg. It's called Glenelg Beach Hostel. Really cool place, just round the corner from the beach. Cool staff, a nice bar and just around the corner from the tram, which gets you into the city centre.

Have a wonderful time, Adelaide is awesome, chilled out but a really cool place to explore. :D x

Hey all!

I have my WHV and flight booked for 25th November, the wait is excruciating, totally buzzing to go!!!

I've been browsing forums and stuff and I see pretty much everyone is going to either Melbourne or Sydney...

If anyone else is heading out that way get in touch, I won't know anyone so would be good to make friends!

Not a lot of work there, but if you have a job you should do well.

Hey all!

Hi, we ( missus and me ) are heading to Oz for the 3 rd time, lived there for 6 years, lived in a few places,

we are heading to Adelaide as it was our favorite place in Oz...!!!

wish you well, Adelaide is a very nice place, you must get out and about, good luck, may see you there,

Steve

Hey all!

What work will you look for...???

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry it has taken so long...

I will look for any work really, I just graduated with a 2:1 in Environmental Health, so that could potentially be a career path but I have no clue whether they will take a new graduate on with minimal experience. Anything else public health related goes too. (Is it easy/even possible to convert a WHV into a sponsored 4 year stay?)

Cool I will check out the forum you mentioned, will be great to get to know a few people before going so we can potentially meet up or go on a tour together!

Thanks again

Ben

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben

Definitely try poms in Adelaide I would say you would get the vast majority of expats online using that. I met a couple of people on it before I moved away.

Check out the occupation lists on the immigration website for stuff around environmental health. If occupation is on the list and you can obtain a job offer the rest should be straight forward. Speaking from experience you might find the job market in Adelaide is slow so if you really want to get a longer visa you might have to be prepared to move where the work is and where an employer will sponsor you.

Best of luck!

Lots of people on WHV's spend time in Adelaide. There are a couple of popular hostels, one in Glenelg, one in the city. I know a fair few people visited Adelaide on theid WHV, met others, found work and travelled on.

I also hear lots of different accents in the supermarkets and stuff in Glenelg. Lots of people in early-mid 20's travelling together.

Are you planning on spending most of your time in Adelaide? I'd make sure to travel elsewhere. Also casual work may be a bit short depending on the time of year. Regional work can be found but again, time of year makes a difference. You could also try spending time over on Kangaroo island and do some regional work there. Lots of backpackers seem to.

Use to be known as the murder capital of Australia!

Many people class it as a big country town with small minded attitudes.

Hard to get work. Tends to be a case of "not what you know but who you know". But you could get fruit picking work at the SA wineries quite easily I expect.

An enlightening read:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Adelaide&defid=1617803

https://au.jora.com/Backpacker-jobs-in-Adelaide-SA

Use to be known as the murder capital of Australia!

Many people class it as a big country town with small minded attitudes.

Hard to get work. Tends to be a case of "not what you know but who you know". But you could get fruit picking work at the SA wineries quite easily I expect.

An enlightening read:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Adelaide&defid=1617803

https://au.jora.com/Backpacker-jobs-in-Adelaide-SA

:laugh:Funny you should mention the murders?I was only telling a friend about some of those last week!lol I guess a lot of people do head for the east coast because Adelaide is pretty much known as a big country town compared to Sydney and Melbourne.I am very fond of Adelaide (And SA in general,spent 30 yrs there lol),the city is easy to navigate,and you can easily leave the city behind by heading north,south,or east!Its fair to say its a pretty quiet kind of place (maybe that's why the majority of younger backpackers don't seem to flock there),and I know jobs are thin on the ground atm too which probably doesn't help much either.Have you explored the HelpX website?You register,and can then contact "hosts".You stay with them for free,they offer you a bed and food,and in return you offer them work.It could be looking after livestock,gardening,painting whatever but atleast it would take the pressure off of finding paid work,and you'd save a few pennies by staying for free?

Don't let that murder post put you off- there has been a few spectacular murders ( Snow town for one which was SA not Adelaide) but exceptions rather than the rule. It is a beautiful city and the gateway to the Outback too, just head North to the Flinders Ranges and beyond, up to spectaculat Arkaroola and the Gammon Ranges etc etc.

Archived