Dilemma...

Diane

...but a nice one to have!

We're planning a short trip back to the UK in late December/January - can only go for just under three weeks because of OH's work, but because my parents have visited us a couple of times flying Emirates Business Class, they've got enough accumulated airmiles for us to be able to upgrade part of our flight to Business Class.

So we are flying economy Adelaide-Dubai-Adelaide, but then Business Dubai to London and London back to Dubai. I've never flown business class before, so my dilemma (and such a nice one to have!) is - eat/drink on Economy and sleep in Business, or sleep in Economy and eat/drink as much as possible in Business? The ADL-Dubai leg is 13 hours and the Business legs only 7 hours so I'm veering towards the second choice - what do you think?

Depends on the timings of your flights....

In general though I would eat light on the economy flight and try and snooze a bit, and then in Business I would take the meal (including champagne :wink: and try and make use of the flat bed for some better sleep. )

Take it as it comes and try and enjoy it.

...but a nice one to have!

We're planning a short trip back to the UK in late December/January - can only go for just under three weeks because of OH's work, but because my parents have visited us a couple of times flying Emirates Business Class, they've got enough accumulated airmiles for us to be able to upgrade part of our flight to Business Class.

So we are flying economy Adelaide-Dubai-Adelaide, but then Business Dubai to London and London back to Dubai. I've never flown business class before, so my dilemma (and such a nice one to have!) is - eat/drink on Economy and sleep in Business, or sleep in Economy and eat/drink as much as possible in Business? The ADL-Dubai leg is 13 hours and the Business legs only 7 hours so I'm veering towards the second choice - what do you think?

If you can sleep in economy your a far better traveller than I am. I suspect the early leg when still fresh is easiest to do economy though. Detest long flights in general.

Going to the UK, see if you can get some sleep on the economy leg and if you do then on the business leg you can watch a movie, have a nice meal and then still get two or three hours of sleep in, which will help you feel a bit refreshed when you arrive.

Coming back, if it is one of the flights leaving at 9pm or so, then I would look to maximise sleep on this one, then it doesn't matter so much if you are unable to sleep on the Dubai-Adelaide flight. If it is a day flight you probably won't feel like sleeping so just make the most of business.

I would try to sleep on the longest part of the flight - ie ADL to DXB. The DXB to LHR part is short enough (relatively speaking!) that you can pass the time with books, film, endless glasses of wine etc. But ultimately I guess it will depend on what your body wants to do - but make sure you don't miss out on the freebies in business class!

:policeman:

We flew business 7 years ago with Emirtaes - Birmingham :Dubai: Melboure and return. We found the business lounge in Dubai to be far too small for the number of people using it - in fact we couldn't get a seat which was horrible as our body clocks thought it was the middle of the night. Plus my husband's seat would not recline on one flight which meant he didn't get much sleep. The rest of the journey was good however and the food was lovely. I would recommend flying the leg on which you are intending to get most sleep in business.

We flew business 7 years ago with Emirtaes - Birmingham :Dubai: Melboure and return. We found the business lounge in Dubai to be far too small for the number of people using it - in fact we couldn't get a seat which was horrible as our body clocks thought it was the middle of the night. Plus my husband's seat would not recline on one flight which meant he didn't get much sleep. The rest of the journey was good however and the food was lovely. I would recommend flying the leg on which you are intending to get most sleep in business.
The new Emirates Concourse A has opened since then and has alleviated the other lounges, and the Concourse A lounge is superb

Thank you, and thanks everyone for your replies - few months to go yet but very excited!

Incidentally, if anyone else's parents have Emirates Airmiles, the way to be able to use them is to get the folks to name you as their Travel Coordinator. It took us a while to get it worked out, but did it in the end. My parents are in their mid-80s now so keep saying they are unlikely to fly out here again or use the miles themselves - although last conversation they were talking of coming back again next year sometime!