Spiders

RebeccaMatt

We have come across the odd redback but only about 3-4 in 7 years and at least two were taking up residence in the letterbox. But we live semi rural.

I have been been bitten by a white tail which can be serious. It put me in bed for a day on oxygen. But, I was bitten by crane spider in the UK - a daddy long legs - still have a huge scar today and was off school for weeks.

As as for other wildlife. Don't worry. We see snakes a lot in summer, but they move away fast as soon as they see us. Just do not go in long grass in summer. In most capital cities even long grass is fine in winter.

If if you do decide to live in a more rural location, then just get a fridge magnet with the local snake catchers number on it.

Haven't really thought about the snakes, I've been convincing myself they aren't as big a deal because they are easier to spot and I wouldn't dream of getting too close. Spiders though, they're the sneaky ones lol

Yep. Huntsmen etc are the usual suspects. Under slides, in sandboxes, in the sheds, on the walls, etc. But spiders aren't the only insects to be concerned with.

A fascinating thing happened one day..the children noticed some weird insect flying, crawling up the wall. After calling out to them in a loud, (but not scared shitless voice), I got them to move away. Why are kids never scared of these things?

Anyhow it turned out to be some kind of massive wasp carrying a 'dead' baby huntsman spider up and down the wall looking for the air brick. Yuck..it tried for ages to get the thing dragged down to its hidey hole in an air brick. But the spider wasn't dead, it had been paralysed by the wasp. My god those wasps are strong, it would not let it go and tried every which way to get it into a hole in the airbrick. Very determined as this went on for most of the morning.

Fascinating but ugly. There is one child who will be the next David Attenborough - he loves all types of insects - I wish I was a brave as him...!

Oh my, that sounds horrible , wasps are evil buggers I absolutely can't stand them, I was stung repeatedly by a wasp when I was younger and my friend tried to bat it away and it stung him too ! Oh there evil.

Exactly, kids are so innocent nothing scares them! My son was out on his climbing frame trying to stroke a bee the other day (I'll admit it was actually cute as he's only one and very very gentle with animals/insects) but scared me that it could of been an evil wasp!

I imagine my son will be the same, took him to a reptile house, he was more fascinated by what they were eating!

photo 2.jpg

Here are photos from the only 2 occasions (in nearly 8 years) we have had a huntsman in the house (Perth). Both times they we caught and removed easily.

Redbacks can be found in the garden occasionally, but Barrier spray is a godsend. (But it will kill every living thing in the area, so use very sparingly)

photo (2).JPG

photo 1.jpg

photo (2).JPG

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Hey, you sound exactly like me before I came to Oz!

The thought of seeing huge venomous spiders scared the hell out of me, but I've been here for almost a year now and not had a problem. I've seen a Huntsman in Port Macquarie that ran away pretty quickly and a huge thing (literally the size of my palm!) up in Cairns that was easy to get rid of, not only was he big, he was lazy!

I imagine if you plan on spending time in rural areas you might see more but in large built up regions I would say cockroaches are more of an issue

Maxine

I personally don't have a big fear of spiders and I hate killing them, if I see a spider I pick it up and put it outside . however , I know this won't be the case in Oz. I know some people make them sound a lot worse than they really are, my dad was in Oz for 6 months and seen only one huntsman and another family member was there for two years and seen nothing.

My worry is having a curious toddler running around , he is very curious he tried to befriend a bee the other day (luckily a friendly one ha) my question is, if you do find any huge or venomous spiders , is it just a case of moving them outside, or should you avoid them completely? Can't say I fancy picking up a huntsman or any possible venomous ones before my son does but I wouldn't like to squish one either . I'm probably over thinking it but it cant hurt to ask :)

I grew up in Sydney and used to play with my avatar! Most of us survived. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you take precautions.

We have come across the odd redback but only about 3-4 in 7 years and at least two were taking up residence in the letterbox. But we live semi rural.

I have been been bitten by a white tail which can be serious. It put me in bed for a day on oxygen. But, I was bitten by crane spider in the UK - a daddy long legs - still have a huge scar today and was off school for weeks.

As as for other wildlife. Don't worry. We see snakes a lot in summer, but they move away fast as soon as they see us. Just do not go in long grass in summer. In most capital cities even long grass is fine in winter.

If if you do decide to live in a more rural location, then just get a fridge magnet with the local snake catchers number on it.

I had heard daddy long legs were very poisonous but their fangs couldn't break human skin. Where did it bite you?

I really don't like to kill spiders , although spiders here are a lot smaller lol but I really wouldn't have the heart to kill one if I could help it. Especially if it was a harmless huntsman, I still get phone calls from my mum asking me to come over and get a spider for her , she's terrified but still wouldn't kill one . is it easy to identify the posinous ones when you do see them ? Will have to start educating my son on staying clear of spiders well before we go lol

Spiders are localised so it does matter where you move to. We try suck them up in the hand hover and release them outside. I still remember catching a huntsman in an ice cream container, removing the lid when I got outside, and then being confused as to how the little begger had got out. Took a few seconds to realise he was on the lid!

carspider.jpgBe careful about leaving windows open in your car when it's parked overnight, or - like my husband did - bringing home some logs in the boot of his car, or you might pull down the visor like he did and see something like this!

carspider.jpg

Yes Maxine me and my husband have been researching the different spiders (probably a bit over the top!) So were experts when we see them lol he finds it all quite interesting though I just want to know what not to touch! Lol

Oh my, newjez, I can imagine the surprise ! Its not the same as sliding a piece of paper under a glass when it comes to huntsmen I'm sure!

The spider poking out of the visor! I don't know how I'd handle that! I remember when my son was only a few months old I heard a buzz in the car and straight away thought 'wasp!' Pulled over to the side of the road, flung all the doors open grabbed my son and made my husband thoroughly check the car before I'd get back in. The thought of our boy getting bit/stung is my main worry, he would think big spiders are great!

Archived