How easy is to get a job being a primary school teacher in the Gold Coast area?

Hi ,

My name is Kimberley and I am planning on moving to the Gold Coast in December with my partner. I am currently working as a primary school teacher ( I have been qualified 4 years). I am just wondering if anybody knows how easy/difficult it is to get a teaching job in the Gold Coast area?

I will look forward to reading your replies!

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as I would like to know too x Im am a year away from qualifying with my BA hons degree then to complete my NQT year so would also be interested in how easy it is to get a job over there when the time comes.......after ive got some paid teaching hours under my belt!

Good luck in your search xx

Was your training a 4 year degree (or degree plus Uni based PGCE?) if not then absolutely no chance at all of being registered. Otherwise practically no chance in a place like the GC where people actually want to live because there are too many qualified teachers vying for the same jobs. If you're prepared to do your time out in the back of Woop Woop where nobody else wants to live then you might get a foot in the door. I'd be looking to change careers if you need to be on the GC.

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as I would like to know too x Im am a year away from qualifying with my BA hons degree then to complete my NQT year so would also be interested in how easy it is to get a job over there when the time comes.......after ive got some paid teaching hours under my belt!

A 3 year degree is not sufficient. You must have 4 years of full time uni.

Can you do middle years or secondary? The year 7's have moved up to be taught in secondaries this year with fewer teachers needed in primary and more in secondary - particularly if you're willing to teach 7's... As Quoll said, go bush and you can probably take your pic of places but these can be challenging positions and not everyone wants to work out there.

Primary jobs are hard to come by, especially somewhere like Gold Coast. Keep an eye on Smart jobs, Brisbane catholic, Seek and even Indeed websites. Work out on a map how far you'd be willing to travel (although the motorway always seems to be a carpark in sections between Brisbane and GC) as you may have to look a little further.

Not it great news, but good luck

Thank you very much everybody for getting back to me. I have a degree in Early Childhood Studies and a PGCE so I studied for 4 years at university. I am going through the visa application at the moment, however I am worrying about getting a teaching job when I am over there. I can only teach in primary schools as this is all I am qualified to do. I currently have a full time permanent job in the UK and I am worried I will not get the same in Australia. It looks like all your replies are saying the same that it is very difficult to get a teaching job in a primary school :(

Thank you very much everybody for getting back to me. I have a degree in Early Childhood Studies and a PGCE so I studied for 4 years at university. I am going through the visa application at the moment, however I am worrying about getting a teaching job when I am over there. I can only teach in primary schools as this is all I am qualified to do. I currently have a full time permanent job in the UK and I am worried I will not get the same in Australia. It looks like all your replies are saying the same that it is very difficult to get a teaching job in a primary school :(

Extremely difficult to get permanent primary teacher position and then combine it with a plum location like the Gold Coast and you are bordering on the unrealistic. You need to have a good think about what you want to do, how important is career and a permanent role or are you happy to temp if you are in the right location?

Just don't give up a permanent position but take a career break.

There is no such thing as a certain teaching position in primary especially - as others have said - far too many young Aussie trained teachers out of work, especially in Qld.

Career breaks are not given any more :( so it would mean me leaving for good. I have read on a few sites that many Aussie trained teachers struggle to get a job, that's why I decided to put this thread on to see other peoples views.

My wife is a primary teacher and we live in Melbourne (so our perspective is Victoria - centric but from what I have heard it is similar in most metro areas). In the 6+ years we have been here she hasnt been able to get a permanent position (or even many interviews) and not a great deal of temp work either (schools here seem to have their lists of favoured temps and you only get the call if none of them are available). There is temp work available but not often in schools where I would be happy for her to work. She has found the whole process very down heartening, especially as she is an excellent teacher (with OFSTED reports to prove it) and many of the incumbents at our kids school have been pretty ordinary at best (its almost impossible to get rid of a permanent teacher in the state school sector and a significant number of the older ones are on cruise control to retirement, dont even get me started on the new graduates who cant even spell!).

She has actually started her own tuition business now which fits in quite well with the school run etc and has effectively given up on getting a permanent position.

Sorry - probably not what you want to hear but its best to know what you will be facing.

It does sound that getting a teaching job in a primary school is very difficult - not what I'm wanting to hear :( Its a very hard decision to make, do I give up a full time permanent job to go and live somewhere a lot nicer but struggle to find a job or do I stay in the UK :(

It does sound that getting a teaching job in a primary school is very difficult - not what I'm wanting to hear :( Its a very hard decision to make, do I give up a full time permanent job to go and live somewhere a lot nicer but struggle to find a job or do I stay in the UK :(

Do you know the Gold Coast well?

Where do you live in the UK? I wouldn't say Brisbane was nicer than where I came from the UK (Sussex) - just different. My hubby is a science secondary teacher and has got a permanent role - his route in was volunteering, teacher assistant, temp teacher and then permanent. For a shortage subject. What a tricky decision you have to make - swapping a permanent job for at best temporary work, albeit in a hotter country with lovely beaches...I an old fart but you do have to think of pensions etc and the kind of life you can have here in sporadic employment. It is a very expensive country. I would have absolutely advised a career break (are you sure they won't negotiate?). You would probably be better off financially having a long holiday to Oz every year and keeping your job. Good luck with your decision!

I have visited the Gold Coast twice as my parents live there (surfers paradise). I am wanting to be near them when I emigrate to Australia , that's why I have chosen the Gold Coast. I live in Nottinghamshire in the UK ( not much to do) It sounds like it took your hubby a while to get a permanent position in a school. There is a lot to consider, as a getting a job is very important to me. I have already tried getting a career break but they said they do not allow it any more :( Not good news!

I have visited the Gold Coast twice as my parents live there (surfers paradise). I am wanting to be near them when I emigrate to Australia , that's why I have chosen the Gold Coast. I live in Nottinghamshire in the UK ( not much to do) It sounds like it took your hubby a while to get a permanent position in a school. There is a lot to consider, as a getting a job is very important to me. I have already tried getting a career break but they said they do not allow it any more :( Not good news!

Well then on the other hand, are you happy to change career? It is one option, have you ever thought about other options?

I'd look wider than the Gold Coast if I were you. I've found that travelling here is nothing like the UK - I know people that go for 2 hour drives just for lunch here!! Maybe look at Brisbane, or even over the boarder in NSW or a bit inland. You will still be closer to your parents than you currently are!! Surely a few hours drive to them, is better than a day's flight :-)

I really don't want to change careers Bungo as I absolutely love teaching. Plus I wouldn't know what else to do. There seems to be a lot of people securing secondary jobs in teaching, it just seems to be primary that is the problem.

I believe there is some type of transition course that you can do to teach secondary if you were willing to go in that direction. There are currently some Northern Gold Coast year 7 teacher jobs being advertised. Gold Coast is extremely popular.

Good luck

Archived