189 visa lodged May 2015

Doe

Finally got through at about 1.15. Didn't think the phone call went that well and was expecting to have to chase more information. Woke up at 4.30 and checked our immi account and we've received our grant!!!!!

Edited by Doe

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wait is really making all of nervous and I am no exception. I called up the department today and they said my application is under assessment and that they are validating the claims I've made. I asked if the progress shows-up in the immi account, to which the lady replied that the status does not reflect the real progress made thus far and is just an indicative thing. What confuses me is the ppl who have filed application after me have got the grant and I'm still waiting to hear anything.

Finally got through at about 1.15. Didn't think the phone call went that well and was expecting to have to chase more information. Woke up at 4.30 and checked our immi account and we've received our grant!!!!!

You're not the only one - I'm ina group and seems to be anyone who is phoning and chasing get their grant that same day. Well done!! xx

Please anyone can tell about the age limit to apply for merchant navy officer skilled visa

thanks

@Capt Pawan Welcome to the forum. For a skilled visa you must be under 50. However, you cannot claim any points for age beyond your 45th birthday.

There is a dedicated thread for Ship's Master/Ship's Officer that you might find useful here > http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144466

Ok, I'll admit it......I'm starting to break a little bit now with the wait. I'm so tempted to call now but I think I might just be able to hold off a bit longer. I've said to myself that if I don't hear anything by close of business on Friday then I will call first thing on Monday. Don't really want to but the wait is doing my head in now, plus I'd like to book another trip (third this year!) over to Aus when my son is on his school hols, and can't really commit to a flight booking until that visa is in my hand.

We are feeling the same Captain C!! I finally cracked and asked my partner to call this afternoon. He was told that a case officer has been assigned but nothing else really. They did also say that a decision hadn't been made on his request for an extension to the 6 month WHV rule, though, which is bizarre as he actually has a letter from them granting the extension. Anyway...just glad that there is some sort of movement. Give them a call, what harm can it do!! Good luck, and hang in there!!

We are feeling the same Captain C!! I finally cracked and asked my partner to call this afternoon. He was told that a case officer has been assigned but nothing else really. They did also say that a decision hadn't been made on his request for an extension to the 6 month WHV rule, though, which is bizarre as he actually has a letter from them granting the extension. Anyway...just glad that there is some sort of movement. Give them a call, what harm can it do!! Good luck, and hang in there!!

F it. Yeah why not.

Congratulations!!!

I can't tonight, I will be at a party but I will try tomorrow.

Did you folks notice the drop in number of grants? As per the tracker, there are less than 10 grants this week. Seems like there is a monthly quota per subclass now, or maybe something else :(

Did you folks notice the drop in number of grants? As per the tracker, there are less than 10 grants this week. Seems like there is a monthly quota per subclass now, or maybe something else :(

It's not a true indication really. Not every applicant puts their details in the spreadsheet.

There is probably is a monthly quota though, based on upper grant limit for a year and pro rata.

Hi all. I have obtained the grant today with application date on 5 May.

May I ask an question, I saw that the subclass 189 visa has an expiry period of five years. What if I can only go to Australia four years later and stay there, however the 189 visa will be expired in 1 year, and there should be not sufficient staying period for applying citizenship. Based on this scenario, may I know how to extend the visa and what is the criteria. And will my PR expired forever due to insufficient stay in Australia. Actually what my status is that I have just a career progression in Hong Kong. And I plan to achieve more in this career, say for a few years. So I might still stay in Hong Kong for two to three years more before really moving to Australia. Thanks a lot.

Hi all. I have obtained the grant today with application date on 5 May.

May I ask an question, I saw that the subclass 189 visa has an expiry period of five years. What if I can only go to Australia four years later and stay there, however the 189 visa will be expired in 1 year, and there should be not sufficient staying period for applying citizenship. Based on this scenario, may I know how to extend the visa and what is the criteria. And will my PR expired forever due to insufficient stay in Australia. Actually what my status is that I have just a career progression in Hong Kong. And I plan to achieve more in this career, say for a few years. So I might still stay in Hong Kong for two to three years more before really moving to Australia. Thanks a lot.

You must activate the visa within the timeframe detailed on the grant letter, normally within a year from the earlier of either the Medical or PCC.

If you are in Australia and your visa is nearing expiry, you will either need to gain citizenship, apply for a Resident Return Visa or leave the country.

PS. Congratulations on your visa grant!

You must activate the visa within the timeframe detailed on the grant letter, normally within a year from the earlier of either the Medical or PCC.

If you are in Australia and your visa is nearing expiry, you will either need to gain citizenship, apply for a Resident Return Visa or leave the country.

Hi - So long as you activate your visa as Captain C states, I (THINK) that so long as you arrive before the visa expires (after 4 years as you say in your example) you are free to stay in Australia permanently. However, after the 5 years, in order to leave Australia and then return through immigration, you will either need citizenship or to apply for a resident return visa. The rules normally require you to have lived in Oz for a minimum of 2 years in order to apply for a residence return visa. You need to have lived there for 4 years to gain citizenship.

So, in this example, you move there after 4 years - you could continue to live in Oz, BUT would not be allowed to leave and return until after 6 years when you could apply for a resident return visa....

I don't think you need to leave after the PR expires? You only need a RRV if you want to leave Australia then return (holiday for example) once your PR has expired.

In your example of 4 years before settling it's likely you might need a RRV as it would be another 3 years or so before you could apply for citizenship after your original visa expires.

I don't think you need to leave after the PR expires? You only need a RRV if you want to leave Australia then return (holiday for example) once your PR has expired.

In your example of 4 years before settling it's likely you might need a RRV as it would be another 3 years or so before you could apply for citizenship after your original visa expires.

Sorry, yes that's right.

Thank you very much for all the reply. It's helpful. What I have to do is to enter Oz once to activate my visa before the date specified. Also, in coming 5 years before the visa expiry, I have to enter Australia again and stay there for the period at least I can apply for the RRV or citizenship. Then everything could be fine.

Got an email this morning for some extra Docs including a statutory declaration. Luckily my ship was in port near London at the time so I wrote the stat dec and was able to jump on the train (30 mins) to go to the Australian High Commission to get it certified. In and out in 5 mins and back to my ship! Easy!

Got an email this morning for some extra Docs including a statutory declaration. Luckily my ship was in port near London at the time so I wrote the stat dec and was able to jump on the train (30 mins) to go to the Australian High Commission to get it certified. In and out in 5 mins and back to my ship! Easy!

Good to hear there's been some movement. What docs did you need CaptainC? Is it mandatory you have to go to the Aus High Commission in London? I'm in Cyprus with work and not back until October!

Nice one..... hopefully that means you will get a positive result soon....