Finding work

Guest51810

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just get nervous about the fact that I'm not going with loads of money. I can't help it after having bad experiences with finding work in the past and everyone saying how expensive it is but im sure I'll manage to find something. I've also got au pairing and my helpx membership to fall back on too

Guest guest90395
Yeah I check all the facebook pages most days to see what sort of things are going on. I'll hopefully be okay with the greyhound pass if I need to use that, it sounds quite good. God knows how I'll be with australian journeys though.. 8 hours on Megabus almost killed me lol

Hi Stacey

I travelled the East Coast by Greyhound and its a very different experience to the Megabus! They show movies and stop at rest stops every few hours so you can stretch your legs, go to the loo and buy food.

Hi Stacey

I travelled the East Coast by Greyhound and its a very different experience to the Megabus! They show movies and stop at rest stops every few hours so you can stretch your legs, go to the loo and buy food.

Oh that sounds so much better! I don't think they stopped at all for a stop the whole way there and people were almost fighting before we had even left Glasgow lol. If I'm using the bus and I can break up the journeys a bit by stopping for a night Inbetween long trips then that would help. If I could drive Id get a campervan, some of them look cool!

Hey Stacey,

You might find it hard to get a job in Autism Support on a backpacker via; only simply because you can only work for them for 6 months on that visa. Easier jobs to get might be hospitality, or sometimes retail.

If you have a look on seek.com.au also that's Australia's major job advertisement site, also when I was backpacking I got my job through http://www.thejobshop.com.au/ & worked in North WA in a mining town :notworthy:

Good Luck!!

Edited by want2beaussie

Stacey just spent a week in the outback of South Australia, and all the pubs etc. had back Packers working in them, and they all seemed to be enjoying the experience. Can let you know some of the pub names later on if you go to SA. A couple of the UK backpackers fresh out of school, so no experience before coming to Oz.

Thanks guys. Yeah if people have some names they can give me them before I go. I don't have any bar experience though which might be a problem. Got waitress experience though. I'm pretty sure I could pour a pint easily lol

I've just sent you a PM on here Stacey :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I think by the look of things I should have got some bar experience! Probably won't be able to now though since I already work full time and I don't think even asking if I could get work experience for a night or two in a pub would make a massive difference :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it's true that the busier the city the harder it is to find work due to too much competition...I have a friend In Australia at the moment and they've given me sound advice, hence why I've decided to start in Brisbane which is close to toowoomba, gatton, Gympie, bundaberg which are full of farm work.

There was a guy on here who found work in Gatton but I think that was 2 years ago. There's two other guys on here that I chat to - they were going over with the minimum money so I said I was going to use them as guinea pigs to see what happened lol. They've both found work so that's a bit more reassuring for me. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with the 2nd year visa, I'll see how I feel within the first few months. I think I'd rather go to New Zealand for a year if I was going to stay away for 2 years

I'm mainly doing the regional work to be safe than sorry, I might not feel like staying in the first few months but could easily change my mind in the 10th month whereby it's too late to extend the visa.

I'm going to travel to as many cities as possible and I know each city will have a different atmosphere, I might not want to stay long in the city I first visit, but could fall in love with the last city I visit ... I hope that makes sense.

I'm just going to see what happens. If I met a group of cool people in a hostel who found 2nd year work then Id probably go along just incase I change my mind but If the opportunity doesn't come up or I'm not fussed then I'll just make the most of the time. Did you say you're going in October? I originally aimed for September but it'll be end of November at earliest now but I'm worried about the summer heat

I have been in Oz a month and I found a fruit picking job after one day of looking at a job club, I'm in Sydney working as a office temp seems to be loads of jobs around at the moment because everyone has gone north for the winter. I would sign up to loads of agencies how I found my job and I know loads of other that did it that way.

I have a friend who went out on a WHV for 1 year but did her farm work and came back again a few years later to do her second year. She found it difficult to get work in the cities but found it very easy outside of the cities. Like others have said if your prepared to do hospitality, retail, etc your get a job :-)