Moving to Queensland

thestantons1

I think houses since around 1980 (dont quote me on that) have to be able to stand up to cyclone force 4 or something like that... We are going for a new build so we will be focussing more on the flood risk. Though I think a lot of Townsville isn't prone to flooding too badly. I understand the humidity is high but I have been reassured by a few other brits there that once you get over a year you kind of acclimatise. Until then, we will be the ones with our heads in our fridge! As for the box jellyfish, this currently isn't an issue. I am scared of any fish and cant go near any water with fish in it! Until I get over that fear jellyfish will be my last problem. But yeah, there are multiple open swimming pools for use for the public that I can't wait to utilise.

Had to laugh at your fear of fish we get some large ones (sharks) LOL. If you are building you will be fine, (are you going to put in a pool ) you will get plenty of use up in Townsville. I think most new places are Cat 5 rated now. There is a great fish and chip shop on the strand by the way. In general Qld does seem to be doing OK as far as work is concerned I guess it all depends on what you do for a living. My OH is 70 and just been asked to take on some contract work ! There are up sides to the heat, you dont need to buy heaps of clothes, and that in turn cuts down on the washing, no more wet clothes drying inside in front of the fire. Hang things on the line and in 1/2 hour they are dry and ready to bring in. Let us know how it all works out for you.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tina2,

Would you believe Sharks, whilst that would put me off isn't what I fear the most... It's the small things, the things that might 'touch me' whilst I am swimming. You wont get me anywhere near a gold fish tank in case it jumps out!

We are looking forward to just packing a mound of shorts and t shirts. We will struggle the first year so even the thought of the odd fleece seems like a waste of money haha.

We definately want a pool though, like you say, we will need somewhere to cool off!

Thanks Tina2,

Would you believe Sharks, whilst that would put me off isn't what I fear the most... It's the small things, the things that might 'touch me' whilst I am swimming. You wont get me anywhere near a gold fish tank in case it jumps out!

We are looking forward to just packing a mound of shorts and t shirts. We will struggle the first year so even the thought of the odd fleece seems like a waste of money haha.

We definately want a pool though, like you say, we will need somewhere to cool off!

I wish you every happiness. Point to remember is once you get here if the place you first settle does not suit after you have been there a while it is easy to move. Swimming ? I swim like a brick straight to the bottom, so you wont find me in the water either. Agree on not wanting anything to touch me in the water either, just the thought of that seaweed wrapping around my legs is enough to scare the life out of me. Make sure you have wide brimmed hats ! The sun loves to burn that delicate white sink.

Hi ramot, yes we were. We went to Aus 2008 - 2009 on a student visa. Did you do the student visa too?

No it was my son, who,like others was totally messed around by all the retrospective changes.

He was on a bridging visa for the 885 visa, finally got PR after 31/2 years, was determined to stick it out.

has done well, and now married, but it wasn't an easy time.

good luck with your plans.

No it was my son, who,like others was totally messed around by all the retrospective changes.

He was on a bridging visa for the 885 visa, finally got PR after 31/2 years, was determined to stick it out.

has done well, and now married, but it wasn't an easy time.

good luck with your plans.

Oh nooo! 3 1/2 years! I bet he spent a fortune waiting for that! I'm glad things have worked out for him and fair play to him for sticking it out. Just out of curiosity which area does he live?.

Oh nooo! 3 1/2 years! I bet he spent a fortune waiting for that! I'm glad things have worked out for him and fair play to him for sticking it out. Just out of curiosity which area does he live?.

He lived with us! Till he got a job, luckily we have the room, but it was a worry not having PR for so long, every thing had been front loaded for his 885 visa, it was a disgrace to be honest. Studied at the Sunshine Coast uni, luckily always had a "good " part time job, he was a mature student. The best job was at the service station in Beerwah, worked the weekends and public holidays, good money for part time.Eventually landed a good job, he had studied through to an MBA.

Funnily enough it was quite special getting to really know and get close to one of our adult children.

We were fairly new to the area, liked his friends, and still close to most of them. One of them called round recently for a couple of hours with his new wife before their move to NZ to tell us all their plans, so although tough not all bad.

Has moved to North Brisbane with his wife and seems very happy.

good luck with your plans, and post how you get on.

Hi, In a matter of weeks my husband and I will be making the move down under. We have lived in WA before and when we came back to the UK just knew we wanted to return to Australia. We have travelled through QLD and loved it! We have been a bit unlucky with visas etc and didn't realize the expense of it all. Finally we have been granted a state sponsored visa by QLD gov. This means we can only live and work in regional areas of QLD. This is the best we could have achieved so we are taking it. We begin our new life very, very soon. If anyone can give us some guidance and help about the move to regional QLD I would be really grateful.

Hey nice to hear its going well. Me and my husband have moved to qld frim the uk 3 weeks ago. Stayed in Caloundra Sunshine Coast for 2 weeks and it was stunning. We found it hard to find jobs around there before we arrived and I could see why when we got there... its mainly tourism in the main parts and I think its a very sought after place. So I was offered a jib I Mackay so took it and were up here now. It's beautiful! As you know from when you visited. Its definitely more of a place to live then you can have the other places like Sunshine Coast for hols ( its something like an hour flight and cheap). Also loads of rentals which are cheaper than down south it seems. everything you need is on your doorstep lush! your near the great barrier reefe, whitsundays etc. Hope that helps abit. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thestantons1

We're are on the Sunny Coast on the same visa, which took us about 5 years to get. We have been here just over a year now and loving it. I know accommodation and going through the rental application is a frustrating process so I would be happy to help you in any way I can. I work with Mink Property in Mountain Creek so could also give you some info on prices etc and I guess any info on moving out here and what you are going to have to do once you arrive.

Happy to help

Hey

We are on the same visa as you and it took us 5 years to get it sorted, so I know how you feel. We are in Alexandra Headland on the Sunshine Coast at the min. We've been out here just over a year now and loving it, you can't really go wrong choosing where you want to live on the Sunny Coast to be honest, we started on Kings Beach.

If you want any advice on rentals and the application process or buying a property give me a shout. Or the things you are going to have to do when you get out here.

Happy to help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kellmer- good to know other people have gone through the same process as us. I think they have made the visa process a lot harder and we have had to jump through so many hoops but finally we got what we wanted- a visa. Yes would gladly welcome any help with regards to what we need to do to rent a property out there. Thank you for your kind offer. Is there any info on your rental agency webpage I could look at? Thanks again

Hi Pinknurse83- thanks for the tip- we have been to Mackay and yes it is def worth considering as an option. I think you may be right about the sunshine coast but we are going to try looking for work every where and see what happens. Its such an exciting time in our lives and there are no nerves or second thoughts at all- we can only be doing the right thing.Good luck with everything and I will keep you posted

Hi Jac2011 we fly 1st June. My husband is a carpenter and I work in education. We both haven't found work (yet!) but I have applied for a couple of things so I guess we will see. We really want to get out there and choose the area we plan to live in. We are both brave souls and that's good I think! This isn't for the faint hearted!

It's why we are doing it though :thestantons1 we all need an adventure! It's scary moving to the unknown with 3 children but we live and learn and we will make of it what we can! Good luck, I am sure you will be fine... Wow 1st of June is sooooo close! I am jealous.

• 2 weeks later...
It's why we are doing it though :thestantons1 we all need an adventure! It's scary moving to the unknown with 3 children but we live and learn and we will make of it what we can! Good luck, I am sure you will be fine... Wow 1st of June is sooooo close! I am jealous.

Congratulations Jac2011 on the job offer. You will love Townsville it's a great place for families. The esplanade is lovely and salt water pool area is great during summer when it's not as safe to swim in the sea. Although as I remember they do have stinger nets. Townsville was a definite possibility for us. However having tried Mackay for two months we finally settled with the Sunshine Coast. 12 months on we have no regrets with the move down under. Miss family in the UK massively but live our wonderful outdoor life style here and our boys are really happy.

Wishing you lots of success. Have you an in-patient job or community?

Congratulations Jac2011 on the job offer. You will love Townsville it's a great place for families. The esplanade is lovely and salt water pool area is great during summer when it's not as safe to swim in the sea. Although as I remember they do have stinger nets. Townsville was a definite possibility for us. However having tried Mackay for two months we finally settled with the Sunshine Coast. 12 months on we have no regrets with the move down under. Miss family in the UK massively but live our wonderful outdoor life style here and our boys are really happy.

Wishing you lots of success. Have you an in-patient job or community?

Hi Fanya, I have just seen this sorry! It's an inpatient job but that is as far as I know at the moment. After spending a year in a private forensic unit in the UK I am looking forward to anything else at the moment haha! Though I will like to work towards a liaison post eventually. We would have loved sunny coast but there was no interest when I was enquiring for jobs. For us Townsville is perfect right now and we will just wait and see how life turns out. Nothing has to be forever but we will embrace it with welcoming arms. It has everything we had hoped for and more so I am hoping we are happy once we arrive.