How have you found the Aussies?

English top at my suburb with 3.7% then NZ 2.9% and India 2.7% not that surprising.

North lakes 9.2% English. Bit disappointing thought would be higher.

If UK suburbs are your thing move to WA. We have the highest concentration in one suburb of any one overseas born group in Australia. 43% of Jindilee are born in that country. (UK)

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If UK suburbs are your thing move to WA. We have the highest concentration in one suburb of any one overseas born group in Australia. 43% of Jindilee are born in that country. (UK)

We moved away from Perth 28 years when it seemed every second person was from the UK. In all the time I lived in Sydney I rarely met a 'Pom' other than the occasional backpackers who came to work for 6 months in the same office as me. My husband met a few on construction sites.

We moved away from Perth 28 years when it seemed every second person was from the UK. In all the time I lived in Sydney I rarely met a 'Pom' other than the occasional backpackers who came to work for 6 months in the same office as me. My husband met a few on construction sites.

Perth has long had a strong UK contingent. A little less than twenty two years ago went to Sydney and Melbourne for the first time and was exposed to so many ESL migrants. (English as a Second Language) so different from Perth, where besides Italians little other diversity was very evident. Asians tended to be in the centre and tourists or foreign students.

The backpacking scene was just taking off in numbers but quite unlike today. The number of Swedish on the East Coast (back packers) really stood out.

The "Costas Down under?!"

Apart from it not being on the coast. A rather new estate development from what I can make out. Still the numbers in those far flung parts of empire, or if you must the northern burbs, are popular with Brits. Mindare is next with 34%, Connolly 33% Burns Beach 32% (a costa,if you like) are all as you see heavily British in birth. I hardly ever go up there as seems little reason but it appears to have its attractions. Cost of land more affordable no doubt.

That's really good and quite surprising. Lots of South Africans here

Do you find it surprising a lot of South Africans here? After Brit's they favour Perth. Directly across the Indian ocean is their former home. Australia is many respects the most similar type country to home for Saffies to leave for. The old saying was Packed for Perth, regardless of destination.

But that is exactly what i am talking about is the denial that there are any problems so therefore the problem is all in the eye of the beholder and there are no problems which are intrinsic to Australia and Australia alone.

I am sure that there are Australians who leave the uk and I can guess why, because of the Class system, the terrible weather and, to the Australian palette, the dark ales served at room temperature and the sense of living in a very crowded island, and I would agree with them on at least 3 of those complaints and want to engage in a discussion about some aspects of those issues and how there are counterbalances to them.

I'm pretty sure the Aussies over there soon get used to the Ales.:yes:

I find this map very interesting. If you hover the mouse over a suburb it will show the top 3 birthplaces of immigrants for that location:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/map/where-australias-immigrants-were-born-sydney

Most areas of the country with any migrant population seem to be covered.

I hope to goodness the government doesn't get its way in cancelling the next census in 2016. We have just had the biggest population movements to Australia in its history and really need to know the changes taking place to assist in infrastructure and the like.

Besides be interesting to view the latest place of birth make ups of localities.

What they want to do is only conduct a census every ten years as UK.

Just had a look around Perth northern suburbs, wow must be like living in England up there. I wonder if the Aussies develop British accents?

Just had a look around Perth northern suburbs, wow must be like living in England up there. I wonder if the Aussies develop British accents?

Not noticed it but shopping in Joondalup is like being in the middle of Manchester. Nothing wrong with that if you like the feeling of being in the UK with hot weather, as that is what it feels like. My eldest doesn't go drinking in Joondalup though as he says there's too much trouble, he can't be bothered with it.

:laugh:

Apart from British backpackers, I hardly ever heard a British accent in Sydney. Some Scottish and Irish I admit to hearing but very few English.

Not noticed it but shopping in Joondalup is like being in the middle of Manchester. Nothing wrong with that if you like the feeling of being in the UK with hot weather, as that is what it feels like. My eldest doesn't go drinking in Joondalup though as he says there's too much trouble, he can't be bothered with it.

I thought that would make Joondalup much better as the Australians are considered not as friendly as Brits by a few posters in this thread...

I thought that would make Joondalup much better as the Australians are considered not as friendly as Brits by a few posters in this thread...

Not found that to be the case lastone. I've found that it's more what your interests are that make people your friends or not. We have an eclectic mix of nationalities that get on because they are interested in the same things. A lot of them are poms but that was mostly because all their kids wanted to join the surf club and we've found ourselves amongst parents that had the same things happen to them. There are parents who treat the surf club and other sporting things, like footy, as babysitting areas where they can drop the kids off and go shopping or something.

Us and the people we hang around with have just joined in with whatever the kids did. I ended up being the coach at Auskick for both my kids and the surf club for the eldest. Did it for a few years and loved it. A lot of the parents did the same type of things as me and have carried on as members, started competing in the "masters" and got a lot out of it. Socially too. The surf club has a great bar, subsidised cheap beer, million dollar views from the balcony and lots of social events.

Not many pommie auskick coaches at the time I can tell you. Had to have a good sense of humour as I didn't know a thing about AFL and rules when I started. :laugh:

Joondalup is fine, when we came 23 years ago they had just started to develop it. There were dual carriageways with lights in the middle of bushland:laugh:. It was weird to say the least. Took a long time but it's turned into a real busy metropolis now.

Do you find it surprising a lot of South Africans here? After Brit's they favour Perth. Directly across the Indian ocean is their former home. Australia is many respects the most similar type country to home for Saffies to leave for. The old saying was Packed for Perth, regardless of destination.

Don't know anything about Perth- never lived there and certainly never will!

I've been to Perth often enough as a visitor to know it is not for me. Not ugly or anything, in fact the reverse. Felt as though I was in a time warp and couldn't wait to leave when we had to go. I am sure some will say the same about Melbourne and Sydney and Adelaide too, though.

I've been to Perth often enough as a visitor to know it is not for me. Not ugly or anything, in fact the reverse. Felt as though I was in a time warp and couldn't wait to leave when we had to go. I am sure some will say the same about Melbourne and Sydney and Adelaide too, though.

But not Brisbane, we have reached perfection obviously :wink:

I never wanted to live in Perth, because I like travel and it feels too far from everywhere else. But I do quite like it as a city and I have really enjoyed the parts of WA I have visited too, other than for the flies.. Oh the flies, you don't get that on the east coast.

Plenty don't engage with Perth. Too showy, glossy, soulless, sterile take your pick all are paraded about from time to time.Even more comments I've heard in the negative about Adelaide. Melbourne for all its sins has been the apparent favourite over the past few decades.

I've found the Aussies very friendly. And I've noticed that even though I'm a married man, the girls are very polite, they talk to you and are really sociable. The lifestyle here is really good for meeting people too. It's very club rather than pub oriented though which is not to a lot of Brits taste.

Archived