Age 40 - what visa to stay for a year and work

caboodles

I'm looking to stay with friends . How can supports me... With place to stay / food ...Would like to stay for a year ! But do some kind of work .

But I'm 40 ... All the working visa look to be 18-30 only [emoji15]... Any advice ? Help ?

Much appreciated

To work in Australia, you'd need to look at the skilled migrant visas. It's costly and time-consuming to get a visa if you're only looking to stay for a year, and you also need to have the required experience/education in an eligible occupation. If you're willing to invest a few thousand dollars to do it, you'd need to review the visa options on the DIBP website.

Otherwise, you can simply come on a holiday visa but you cannot work.

You can actually do unpaid work. There are lots of volunteering opportunities if your desire to work isn't purely for financial reasons :smile:

You can actually do unpaid work. There are lots of volunteering opportunities if your desire to work isn't purely for financial reasons [emoji2]

Can you? I know wwoofing used to be an option but heard that this had now changed, and working in exchange for accomodation and food is not much different to working for money.. unsure though

The choices are limited. You cannot do anything that is usually paid or there is an exchange of food and/or accommodation given in lieu of $$. So working in a community garden, school tuck shop, scout group etc is fine...but most other volunteer programs that people on WHV do are not as they are given something in return.

Guest Amelie

Hi Caboodles,

There is a e600 visa that will allow you to stay for up to 12 months….I didn't realise it exists until someone ask the question about processing times.

I read an online article, I think it may have been The Guardian Australia, that highlighted the government's proposal for a 1 year 457 Visa, which is a employer sponsored visa. I've no idea what the outcome is on that though?

Here's a few general questions for everyone who have knows the rules with the temporary visas:

What about if someone can work on-line? A virtual job? Work for a UK business, where you are a virtual employee? Say you did freelance work through 'Elance' and/or set up a way of getting passive income, such as writing an ebook, creating a podcast and self-publish via iTunes and/or Amazon? What are the visa implications for those ideas?

Hi Caboodles,

There is a e600 visa that will allow you to stay for up to 12 months….I didn't realise it exists until someone ask the question about processing times.

I read an online article, I think it may have been The Guardian Australia, that highlighted the government's proposal for a 1 year 457 Visa, which is a employer sponsored visa. I've no idea what the outcome is on that though?

Here's a few general questions for everyone who have knows the rules with the temporary visas:

What about if someone can work on-line? A virtual job? Work for a UK business, where you are a virtual employee? Say you did freelance work through 'Elance' and/or set up a way of getting passive income, such as writing an ebook, creating a podcast and self-publish via iTunes and/or Amazon? What are the visa implications for those ideas?

You cannot work, that is, earn an employment income, whilst on a tourist visa. End of.

Guest Amelie
You cannot work, that is, earn an employment income, whilst on a tourist visa. End of.

Thank you for your reply. I can ask dept of immi.

Guest Amelie
But can I run a online business ? .... Based in the UK ? .... While visiting ?

I have read case-studies and articles of individuals who have set up their own on-line business, whether it is writing a book, doing virtual work and they live anywhere in the world. Say they started their business in the UK as a Ltd company and the profits go into their UK bank account…though, they are temporarily living in the US, or Canada and/or even Australia for 3 months or even up to a year. This is something to ask the OZ immigration dept.

No.

why not? If someone's on holiday here, I don't see why they couldn't continue to keep supervising their existing UK business. I'm sure it happens all the time - surely they don't bar a CEO from taking calls from work while he's on vacation.

The other question, of course, is how immigration would ever know.

If anybody knows of a Voluntary work please let me know [emoji4]... Looking near to perth.

This site has lots of volunteering oportunities http://volunteeringwa.org.au

This is something close to my heart http://www.duyfken.com/index with a variety of different volunteer jobs if you are interested? I have worked as volunteer sailing crew and done regular maintenance work on the James Craig tall ship in Sydney. The volunteers who do work for the Sydney Heritage Fleet are an amazing group of people and I am sure that the Duyfken guys in Freemantle are cut from the same cloth.

why not? If someone's on holiday here, I don't see why they couldn't continue to keep supervising their existing UK business. I'm sure it happens all the time - surely they don't bar a CEO from taking calls from work while he's on vacation.

The other question, of course, is how immigration would ever know.

I don't believe I have said a CEO is not permitted to take calls on holiday. The question was from someone who wants to spend a year in Australia and earn an employment income through running an online business during that time. I presumed they wanted to know whether it was legal, not whether they would get away with it.

I don't believe I have said a CEO is not permitted to take calls on holiday. The question was from someone who wants to spend a year in Australia and earn an employment income through running an online business during that time. I presumed they wanted to know whether it was legal, not whether they would get away with it.

So, let's say this person founded her online business while in the UK and had been running it for some time. She then decided to come and spend a year's holiday in Australia. Are you saying that she would have to close down her business while she was on holiday, if she could not find anyone to look after it for her?

So, let's say this person founded her online business while in the UK and had been running it for some time. She then decided to come and spend a year's holiday in Australia. Are you saying that she would have to close down her business while she was on holiday, if she could not find anyone to look after it for her?

You are not allowed to work / earn employment income in Australia whilst on a tourist visa. This is pretty basic knowledge, I am quite surprised you have not come across that before.

You are not allowed to work / earn employment income in Australia whilst on a tourist visa. This is pretty basic knowledge, I am quite surprised you have not come across that before.

So she would have to close her UK business down. That seems harsh, and odd if the income is not earned in Australia, but then the law is often cockeyed I suppose.

So she would have to close her UK business down. That seems harsh, and odd if the income is not earned in Australia, but then the law is often cockeyed I suppose.

The business can continue to exist, she just shouldn't do anything proactuve about running it while she's in Australia. Leave it to look after itself while she's on holiday - the same as anyone would do if taking a holiday from work, or put someone in place to look after it for her.

Archived