Do I still need sufficient funds?

aaylabrassington

I'm planning on coming over to Australia on a working holiday visa for about 6 months. I will be living with my step dad and his wife in their home in Perth. My step dad will be supporting me whilst I look for employment. Do I still need to have savings in my own bank account even though my step dad has the right amount and more to look after me until I find a job out there?

If so - is it possible for him to transfer the money into my account to show that I have the money, and then when I get over there... I just transfer the money back into his account? Or is that illegal?

Thanks!

What do you think?

If they ask for sufficent funds, and you fabricate a plan to prove this, at worst illegal, but definately frowned upon.

Although having said that, using a perfectly logical story where your stepfather supports you until you find work, may not tick all their boxes, so better to be sure of your application with some bs story.

I'm planning on coming over to Australia on a working holiday visa for about 6 months. I will be living with my step dad and his wife in their home in Perth. My step dad will be supporting me whilst I look for employment. Do I still need to have savings in my own bank account even though my step dad has the right amount and more to look after me until I find a job out there?

If so - is it possible for him to transfer the money into my account to show that I have the money, and then when I get over there... I just transfer the money back into his account? Or is that illegal?

My niece came over on a working holiday visa and lived with me. She still had to have savings in a bank account in the UK (I know because I lent the money to her), and the rules stated that the money had to stay in the account for the duration of the stay.

Whether they ever checked or not is a good question, but do you want to take the risk?

No, it's not to live on, it's to ensure you've got enough money to buy your air fare home.

Applicants are supposed to have access to AUD$5000 for their initial expenses and these funds are intended to be spent as needed. They are also supposed to have either a return air ticket or sufficient additional funds to buy one. There is no requirement for either amount(not even the one for the fare home) to be held for the duration of their stay.

Thanks!

If you have some funds (at least a couple of thousand AUD) and immigration are able to contact your relative if they want to check your story, you are unlikely to have any trouble being admitted to Australia (that's if they check at all - they often don't even ask). You would be very foolish to arrive with nothing - I've seen dozens of instances on this board and elsewhere where arrangements to stay with relatives or friends have fallen through and the Working Holiday Maker has been left with no job, no accommodation and no support. What if you and your step-dad's new wife don't get on? Or some other situation arises where you can't stay with them?