Tax File Number Query

MrsA

Hi Everyone,

We fly to Melbourne on the 1 April and I'm trying to get as much organised before we travel. I just have a quick query re: the TFNs. To apply for the TFN online you need to put an Australian address. We are unsure about putting our short term rental address for the TFN online as we are only staying there for 5 weeks so would we then have to arrange to change our address associated with the TFN with a tax office I think. Is this right?

The alternative I think is to wait until we are in longer term accommodation (about six weeks after our arrival) to apply for our TFNs then, however I'm sure we won't be able to apply for jobs etc without this document.

Any advice on what you guys did would be greatly appreciated as always.

Many thanks and best wishes.

Mrs A

You cannot apply before you are in Australia. But once the, it is perfectly fine to apply and use a temporary address and update later, it is certainly a good idea to do this if you think you will be working quickly. You don't need to have a TFN to start work, but you will probably have too much deducted at source if not.

You don't need to have a TFN to start work, but you will probably have too much deducted at source if not.

So long as you have actually applied for it (once you arrive), when you start working you get a 28-day grace period when you can be paid without a TFN and still taxed at the normal rate.

There is specific mention of this on the form I filled in when I started work anyway, and in my first paypacket I was paid exactly what I was expecting from http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

I've found that banks etc. are OK with me using my work address to begin with while I've been staying in temporary accommodation.

btw the form I referred to above is the Tax File Number Declaration, completed on starting work... see the box where you check "I have made a separate application/enquiry to the ATO for a new or existing TFN"

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 23.06.29.jpg

(System went weird here and attached 3 versions of this image so this was the best compromise... PM me if you want a hires version.)

And you don't have to go into a post office, you can also apply for your TFN online:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Applying-for-a-TFN/Individuals-(Australian-residents-for-tax-purposes)/

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 23.06.29.jpg

Not if you dont work - my wife hasnt worked since we arrived, so no need for a tfn or a tax return

Whether you work or not, you don't have to have one.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Applying-for-a-TFN/

It’s not compulsory to have a TFN, but if you don’t have one you may have more tax withheld than you need to, or you may not be able to receive certain government benefits.

Archived