Perth, Melbourne or Queensland ??

gemmae31

We are planning on making the move next year but would really like some advice from someone who has made the big move

We understand they are big places but would like some honest advice on the different areas

We've got a question for you first. What kind of lifestyle are you hoping for? What do you expect to gain by moving to Australia? Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane are quite different from each other - knowing a bit about you might help us tell you what would suit.

For instance, I have visited Perth often and don't like it, though I can't quite put my finger on why. I like Brisbane but the climate is far too hot and sticky for me. Melbourne has a lot of culture but it also has more cool weather and drizzle - I don't think it's a problem personally but I've seen some Brits complain it's not what they wanted from Australia.

hi,

thanks for your replys they all help,

we are looking for somewhere that is not to built up like a big city somewhere safe and secure with plently of things to do with our young daughter with nice hot weather.

thank you

Hi sorry if this sounds like a silly question but what is "hot" in your mind ? Melbourne can have days when it is 42 and you feel like your skin is burning just stepping outside

Brisbane can get to mid 30s but with the humidity it will feel hotter.

Perth again gets days over 40 and this can last several days. Perth and Melbourne are both dry heat. Take into consideration heat and dry can mean bush fires even in the suburbs so keep that in mind.

I guess work is a major consideration, but perhap you could research some of the inland cities, smaller than the capital cities and temperature is quite different as well. Ballarat in Vic, Toowoomba in Qld might be of interest

E=gemmae31;1936716240]Hi We are planning on making the move next year but would really like some advice from someone who has made the big moveWe understand they are big places but would like some honest advice on the different areasThanks

Perth = boring with nice weather

Brisbane = more to do than perth with a humid climate

Melbourne = worse weather than the above but pleanty going on

E=gemmae31;1936716240]Hi We are planning on making the move next year but would really like some advice from someone who has made the big moveWe understand they are big places but would like some honest advice on the different areasThanks

Perth = boring with nice weather

Brisbane = more to do than perth with a humid climate

Melbourne = worse weather than the above but pleanty going on

Plenty going on in Melbourne but unless you can afford to live close to the city the time and costs of getting to events can often make you feel it is not worth it. We lived an hour from Melbourne, would never go on a train at night, or walk the streets alone at night, never felt safe, and cost of the train which are not exactly reliable put us off going to the city. Parking is mega expencive if you can find a park oh and plus the toll charge to get into the city. Bendigo is 1.5 hours out of Melbourne and might be worth some thought really pretty city good schools, reasonable house prices, but still get those very hot days. In Toowoomba now and love it, we have had 2 days this whole summer that have been humid, now coming into Autumn.

If you're considering Perth - pop over to our sister site Perth Poms - you get some quite balanced views of WA on there

I have visited Sydney and Brisbane albeit only for holidays - but didn't want to live there. I haven't yet found Perth to be boring (my children were 11 and 7 when we moved they're now 20 and 15), but it is the place in Aus that you either love or hate it seems.

Having lived in Perth for 7 years, I can confirm it is indeed dull. Hot , windy and dull. It has 2 seasons being hot and mild. It's incredibly isolated , which leaves you with the holiday problem.

Get used to Bali as your number 1 cheap hol destination. If you want to spend more , you can stay in WA and drive "down south" to the capes, or waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up North where it's even hotter and there's plenty of nothing.

If you happen to love wind sports, it'll be heaven.

I lived in Queensland for a while too,(Goldy) but def prefer NSW.

Just moved to Melbourne , and there's plenty to do. Plenty of places to go , and it is the most culturally diverse of the city's I've been to.

Drive to the snow in winter, short flight to NZ , heaps of places to drive to in any direction. Lovely in summer.

Wages for me are lower than other places , but I'll still take that , as it immediately felt like home. It's the best city in Aus IMO (have lived in Sydney which was pretty good)

Just remember, you can dress for cool weather , but you can spend days inside with the aircon full blast in some places.

Outdoor lifestyle for me.

Having lived in Perth for 7 years, I can confirm it is indeed dull. Hot , windy and dull. It has 2 seasons being hot and mild. It's incredibly isolated , which leaves you with the holiday problem.

Get used to Bali as your number 1 cheap hol destination. If you want to spend more , you can stay in WA and drive "down south" to the capes, or waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up North where it's even hotter and there's plenty of nothing.

If you happen to love wind sports, it'll be heaven.

I lived in Queensland for a while too,(Goldy) but def prefer NSW.

Just moved to Melbourne , and there's plenty to do. Plenty of places to go , and it is the most culturally diverse of the city's I've been to.

Drive to the snow in winter, short flight to NZ , heaps of places to drive to in any direction. Lovely in summer.

Wages for me are lower than other places , but I'll still take that , as it immediately felt like home. It's the best city in Aus IMO (have lived in Sydney which was pretty good)

Just remember, you can dress for cool weather , but you can spend days inside with the aircon full blast in some places.

Outdoor lifestyle for me.

I've been here 8 years and not had a problem with holiday destinations ... and not visited Bali once

Perth has an international airport, so yes you can fly to Bali, or if you chose anywhere else in the world exactly the same as anywhere else. Never been to Bali in 5 years either.

Ive only been to Brisbane, not visited Melbourne yet.

Brisbane is lovely, my a Daughters live there and they love it. Humidity for me is an issue.

Perth, well we live an hour south and we love it but as Ali has said its not for everyone, but many many Brits love it.

How about Adelaide? Great for families, more of a big town than a big city, great climate - very rarely humid and a bit drier than Melbourne. Hot in the summer, not bad in the winter (sunny even though temps around 16 degrees during the day), cheap(er) property, fantastic food and wine culture...

hi,

thanks for your replys they all help,

we are looking for somewhere that is not to built up like a big city somewhere safe and secure with plently of things to do with our young daughter with nice hot weather.

What's your definition of "nice" hot weather? In Australia you can get dry heat or humid heat, and they feel very different. If you go to Adelaide, for instance, it will get to 40 degrees in summer which is sizzling hot but it's dry like a desert. In Brisbane it's more likely to stay around 30 degrees but it can be very humid, which means the sweat can't evaporate and it can be very sticky.

If you want somewhere "not too built up like a big city" then you certainly don't want to be in Melbourne. Perth and Brisbane are smaller but they are still capital cities. Have you considered that you may not have much choice - you may have to go where the jobs are?

We moved to Brisbane in january and I love it. Yes it is hot and humid but one of the reasons I moved to Australia was for some warmth!!! I am currently on a course in Melbourne and am not enjoying it at all. The weather reminds me of the UK. One day constant drizzle, next day a slight ray of sun, then really cold in morning then 30degrees by lunchtime. Its doing my head in, getting headaches all the time. I might sweat alot in Brisbane but at least I know what to expect each day!! The suburb I'm staying in in Melbourne also reminds me of UK, loads of grafitti, huddles of kids everywhere, all appears a bit grey and dreary to me. I did go to the Mornington Peninsula at the weekend which was absolutely beautiful with lovely beaches and managed to remind me that I was actually still in Australia!!

Yes - I love Perth, and it is not at all boring. Unless, of course, a boring person moves into Perth, but that is another thread. But Adelaide is also a wonderful choice. Personally speaking I would be happy never to live in Melbourne - just "feels wrong" for me. For you, it may be just right. So ideally, what you need to do is come over and experience the different places. Start somewhere, anywhere, and move on from there.

What may suite a young family may be redundant reasons when the kids become late teens. There is no magic remedy or answer to where may suite best. All cities have something but none probably have everything.

Perth is often rated as somewhat boring, and not just by boring people. In my experience it is the rather interesting people that move on. Melbourne in the Australian context seems to tick more boxes. For a young family though Perth or Adelaide may suite. Work may well be the clincher.

I think where the work is, is the clincher. I thoroughly enjoyed living in Perth. I haven't a bad word to say about it but we moved to Sydney in 1987 as there was a bit of a slump in the construction industry in Perth at that time. I loathed Sydney for a while but grew to like it (I'm not really a big city person) and I found work there very easily too. I also like Brisbane and Melbourne a lot too but have not lived there. Each city is very different.

Archived