Citizenship: Test or Interview

holypantsbatman

Hello everyone.

Hoping someone can clear this one up for me, as I can't seem to find anythig conclusive online.

FYI - We are in WA, not that I think it matters ?

Can anyone advise as to whether it's a test or an interview (or even both) that needs to be passed in WA in order to gain citizenship ? The immi website seems to always state "test/interview" or "test or interview." So to me, it reads as though it's one or the other. If this is the case, do you get to choose which one you do ? Also, are you required to take your kids with you so that they may be interviewed too ? My children are only 14 yrs and 10 yrs old.

Personally, I'd rather do a test than be interviewed by somebody - bit not sure if I get a choice in the matter !

Advice from someone in WA who has been through the process would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Both and a ceremony.

The Interview and test take place at the same appointment - it is really little more than checking your ID.

Children are not interviewed and don't need to be present although you would probably want them at the ceremony- depending on the council they may do something special for new Australian children

Thank you both for the advice :)

yeah I knew I had to do the ceremony too, but that's fine - was more worried about the test/interview.

Do they ask more test type qiestions at inyerview too, or is it (like you say) more about checking ID etc. ?

Thanks !

No test type of questions are asked at the interview.

Just checking your supporting documents/ID. Once they satisfied, they will

then ask you to sit for the test.

My Husband was sat in the next booth to me and his interviewer was laughing and joking with him. Mine an older lady was very straight faced and serious. Frightened me to death to be honest :laugh: They just went through the answers to the questions and scanned all the documents we'd already scanned at home. Bit of a nuisance really but hey ho it's the end of the process and worth it. I got 100 percent in my test by the way :wink:

Jet a tip. You do need to read the citizenship test booklet and revise but the test is pretty easy. Make sure you read and reread the questions as there are some trick questions. However, I did the test in 4 minutes

There's a You Tube clip online too. If you watch the whole thing ( tedious) it's easy. Also it's multiple choice, so if you actually read the questions properly it's pretty difficult to get them wrong. If you do " fail" however I believe you can sit it as many times as you need.

Do they ask things like what was Don Bradman's test average ?

Not anymore though you do still need to know some daft stuff like state flowers and the likes, mostly though it's about Australian values and the legal and political system processes.

My interview was the guy asking me whether I'd seen the recent Geelong Cats record AFL defeat - so a verbal test of Aussie culture in the guise of a casual chat...

The test is easy, most questions are pretty obvious, though they do lob in a few about dates of public holidays and the colour of the Torres Strait flag.

Having said that I seemed to be the only person passing it on the day I went - there were a few 'You've had 4 attempts now, if you don't pass on this try you will have to come back on another day...' so it clearly weeds out some applicants.

The interview is an ID check (please bring thr right documents - so few people seem to manage) and a conversation about your life in Australia so far and what the future might hold for you. It doesn't feel like an interview and there are no right/wring answers, but presumably if you come out with stuff that contradicts your visa applications, the info on your application form, or talk about how you want to leave Australia then the questions might get more pointy.

The test questions are multiple choice and set out on a computer. You get 45 minutes to answer your 20 questions. I took one minute and forty seconds to get through them with 100% correct. I didn't see any trick questions and it didn't even feel as though they were probing the more obscure bits of the booklet. The first question had something like: What is the capital of Australia? a. Canberra, b. Adelaide, c. Darwin. Even the wrong answers were not anything plausible. If you have read the booklet (not even very carefully) and speak English the test will give you no problems. In the unlikely event that you fail, you can try again. If you fail 3 times, you have to go instead to a 2 hour seminar on Australia and they deem you to have passed.

Archived