What to take in luggage.

pinknurse83

Hi all jyst a question on what people think about what clothes etc to take in luggage from uk to australia (mackay). I've got rid of loads of my clothes and belongings already, but when I've come to pack my case for the move with allowance of 40kg i've filled it with clothes and some shoes yet still havd loads to go in!! Is it worth trying to get rid of more clothes? And buy what i need in Australia? Or do i pay for extra baggage? Would appreciate thoughts? Thanks [emoji106]

Depending on the value of the clothes?I would leave them here.I found clothing to be reasonably priced in Sth Aust (not sure about the rest of Oz)but you have cheaper clothing at places like Target,Big W,& K Mart.Keep the fashion in these stores realistic,its not Paris or London!:wink:I've just recently culled my wardrobe.I don't wear half of the stuff I had,so off it went to the charity shop!I guess you need to be abit ruthless.How many pairs of shoes do you really need?

How about this company?

http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/

Hi, I also had too much to squeeze into my baggage, I posted over 2 boxes weighing 14kg each so total weight 28kg, cost £144 including £7 insurance, through Parcel Monkey, much cheaper than paying for extra baggage, boxes were collected from my UK house and delivered to my brothers house in Brisbane.

We bought over our allowance, and put in a few warm items just in case, and lots of hot weather items and stuff.

A good point to note is, check the small print on the airlines website you are flying with, as for example, we flew with singapore, and in addition to the 40 kg per person plus 8kg handluggage, we could ALL also take on and umbrella, a laptop, coat (if you have a goretex, put the fleece liner in), and a few other items which could lighten you case a little.

I had 30kg allowance flying with Emirates, which I measured using my portable scales down to the last gramme.

But I ended up with 10kg in my carry-on, and they weren't having any of that, as it turned out their limit for CO is 7kg.

At the check-in desk they handed me a very large plastic bag and told me to decide what I was going to throw away. You really don't need that kind of stress at that particular point!

The lady at check-in was very supportive and friendly, suggesting I look at easily-replaceable stuff like toiletries. But I didn't really have any. As I was ditching things like batteries, maglight torches etc I realised that if I'd brought a big coat, I could be filling the pockets with the stuff rather than losing it.

Also, wearing a heavy coat would cut down on your check-in weight as well.

Anyway... apart from that, the heaviest things are likely to be boots and books. Don't bother taking books. Buy a kindle or an ipad, and you can take that in a seperate "laptop bag".

Hi all jyst a question on what people think about what clothes etc to take in luggage from uk to australia (mackay). I've got rid of loads of my clothes and belongings already, but when I've come to pack my case for the move with allowance of 40kg i've filled it with clothes and some shoes yet still havd loads to go in!! Is it worth trying to get rid of more clothes? And buy what i need in Australia? Or do i pay for extra baggage? Would appreciate thoughts? Thanks [emoji106]

Unless you're heading for Tasmania, you'll hardly ever wear your winter woollies, so they're a good candidate to leave behind, especially since they're so bulky. I've had an Arran sweater sitting in my wardrobe for 30 years, unworn! You won't wear a winter coat much either, so consider leaving them - if you've got one really good one, carry it on the plane. Same with boots - you'll rarely get a chance to wear them so unless they are really gorgeous, ask yourself whether they're worth taking.

Check the weight you're allowed for your carry-on too, and fill that to capacity as well. Don't take toiletries, make-up etc except what you need for the first week or so.

I'm just curious - how big is your case? I can't imagine managing to cram 40kg into one case, so I'm wondering if, just maybe, your scales aren't quite accurate, or if you've got some very heavy items in there? If so, those would be the things to leave behind.

I lived in Mackay for about 4 years. Winter is non existent and it's very hot and humid most of the year so you will just need summer clothes. You can buy reasonably priced clothes in the shops and there are also lots of really good Op shops where you can grab a bargain!!

Honestly, no I didn't like living in Mackay that much, however saying that it was a difficult time for me for a number of reasons. As with anywhere, it's not really about the place, but more about the people. I'm currently in Rockhampton, but in the process of selling up and moving back to the UK in the next month or so (fingers crossed!).

Honestly, no I didn't like living in Mackay that much, however saying that it was a difficult time for me for a number of reasons. As with anywhere, it's not really about the place, but more about the people. I'm currently in Rockhampton, but in the process of selling up and moving back to the UK in the next month or so (fingers crossed!).

Thats a shame. Well hope your move back to the uk is a safe one. We never planned to go to Mackay but managed to get a really good job there so see how it goes. Can always move on, but at least il have my foot in the door with work. Il keep an open mind!! Take care.

Summer clothes all day every day. I work in Brisbane CBD so also bought suits etc across. Any winter clothes have simply been left in their packing boxes only to be removed when visiting UK etc. We have wardrobes of clothes which we realy should thin down.

Seriously my wife misses a lot of her brands ie Fatface and good designer brands however the internet is her saviour.

S

Archived