RIP Malcolm Fraser

Harpodom

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You were't here on 11th November 1975 were you

Kerr was the one at fault. Frazer saw the opportunity and used it and was benefactor to the decision. Gough Whitlam and Frazer made their peace in the following years. In fact I believe they called each other friends. Unlike his views of the worm Howard. Someone Frazer detested probably on equal footing to the direction the Liberal Party took from Howards time in office to the present.

I wasn't taking much notice of politics back in those days, but Malcolm Fraser won the largest political victory in Australia's history.

Whatever anyone thinks the public vindicated him after the dismissal of Whitlam.

He won the ensuing election by a massive margin.

Obviously Australia disagreed with you given the election thumping.

The Coalition won 30 seats from Labor and won the 1975 election with a 55 seat majority.

A victory of unprecedented proportions and never matched since.

So what..............and I was there in Martin Place in March 1983 listening to his last electioneering speech as PM......it was good booing him (and John Howard)....... We knew he was gone as did his government

A victory of unprecedented proportions and never matched since.

By a former leader who left the Liberal Party in disgust at what it has become.

I rather like this comment: "Detested him in '75, but he turned out to have more principle in his little finger than the entire Howard and Abbott front benches."

I must have missed that comment.

Howard is our 2nd longest serving PM at 11 years and was well loved by the people who kept re-electing him.

He brought interest rates down from 18% levels under Labor to nice low levels as well as delivering huge surpluses.

Very much respected by most people.

I must have missed that comment.

Howard is our 2nd longest serving PM at 11 years and was well loved by the people who kept re-electing him.

He brought interest rates down from 18% levels under Labor to nice low levels as well as delivering huge surpluses.

Very much respected by most people.

A horrid, rather pompous little man, whom was re elected due mostly to Australians experiencing the biggest in history with nothing to do with which government was in power. Deceit and lies being his legacy. Along with GST (Fraser was against) and attempting to bribe his way into another term, happily losing his own seat in the process.

Guest Guest66881

They were both Liberal prime ministers who rode in on large majorities, but no one would say Malcolm Fraser and Tony Abbott saw eye-to-eye at the end.

In his final months, the late former prime minister had no qualms about telling the world just what he thought about the nation's current leader.

Mr Fraser this year posted a series of angry messages to his Twitter account where he was scathing of Mr Abbott's administration.

In one message, critical of the government's treatment of Human Rights Commission president Gillian Triggs, Mr Fraser said the Prime Minister was 'behaving like a dictator'. He added: 'get rid (of) Abbott'.

Scroll down for video

26D1959C00000578-0-image-a-50_1426822934545.jpg

+5

Passed on: Malcolm Fraser, the nation's 22nd prime minister from 1975 to 1983, was unimpressed with various aspects of Tony Abbott's administration. The former Liberal shifted considerably to the left during his time in power

26D233E800000578-0-image-a-60_1426825183496.jpg

+5

Target: Mr Fraser was no fan of Mr Abbott's administration, regularly flaying him in tweets this year

26D2397400000578-0-image-a-62_1426825231523.jpg

+5

In a statement on Friday afternoon, Mr Abbott was generous in his remarks about the 22nd prime minister, praising his work in establishing Australian institutions such as the Federal Police.

26D193E700000578-0-image-a-57_1426824676368.jpg

'Abbott dangerous to harmony, peace, a destroyer of wisdom': Mr Fraser was very critical of Mr Abbott, posting links to foreign news outlets and adding his own criticsms

26D240D000000578-0-image-a-58_1426824798222.jpg

'No idea of what a nation should be': Mr Fraser was never afraid to stand up for what he believed :laugh:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3003638/Like-dictator-dangerous-peace-destroyer-wisdom-Malcolm-Fraser-s-furious-tweets-reveal-fraught-relationship-Tony-Abbott.html#ixzz3UvHIWN3E

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A horrid, rather pompous little man, whom was re elected due mostly to Australians experiencing the biggest in history with nothing to do with which government was in power. Deceit and lies being his legacy. Along with GST (Fraser was against) and attempting to bribe his way into another term, happily losing his own seat in the process.

I don't think he was happy to lose his seat, but he did such a great job, that in the end, the public thought there wasn't much more he could do, so why not give he other side a turn. And we all know how that turned out.

I don't think he was happy to lose his seat, but he did such a great job, that in the end, the public thought there wasn't much more he could do, so why not give he other side a turn. And we all know how that turned out.

Yes - it turned out with the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd government managing to dodge the Global Financial Crisis that crippled mature economies across the Globe. You really have to have lived in a country affected by the GFC to understand just what a significant achievement that was. I am puzzled that they never managed to communicate this to the voting public.

Archived