Alternatives to carrying cash during initial Move

dangargoyle

Just an enquiry! Are there any good alternatives to carrying cash amounts higher than 10,000 AUD when making the initial move to Oz? Is it easied to just carry cash and declare it at the airport?

I know travelers cheques are not generally accepted nowadays. Bank to Bank transfers are impractical since on initial entry, you will not have an Australian Bank Account.

Just an enquiry! Are there any good alternatives to carrying cash amounts higher than 10,000 AUD when making the initial move to Oz? Is it easied to just carry cash and declare it at the airport?

I know travelers cheques are not generally accepted nowadays. Bank to Bank transfers are impractical since on initial entry, you will not have an Australian Bank Account.

My partner opened an Australian bank account before he arrived and transferred money. He arrived one day and went down to the bank the next to confirm his identity and pick up his bank card. He carried a little cash to get him through the two days without a card but that wasn't an issue for us.

You can open an account with Westpac or Commonwealth before arrival - there may be others too, but I know those two can be opened offshore.

Hi Dangargoyle - You can definitely open an account before you leave, will make it much easier for you. If you go up to London you can visit Westpac and open an account with them if you so wish. If you take your passport and drivers licence that will verify who you are and will give you total access to your account. Or you can do it online and collect your cards when you arrive in Oz. The only thing with doing it that way is you will only be allowed to deposit money but not withdraw it until you've verified your account.

best wishes

maisie

Yep, open a bank account before you go. Then use a forex company (eg Moneycorp) to transfer funds from the UK to your Australian bank account. Your will get a much better rate this way than changing cash anyway. Then just change a small amount of cash to take with you until you collect your cards from the bank in Australia.

I use halo financial a lot. You get about 1.5 cents under the exchange rate on the day and a $25 charge per transaction by NAB here (regardless of who you bank with). I also opened an account with NAB online before moving. I can't see you'd get better than that exchanging cash over there

You can open an account before you get here. Or just use your UK cards for the first few days until you sort one in Australia.

Why can't you just leave your money in your UK bank account and transfer it when you've got your Australian account opened? If you need funds in the short term, use your UK card at an ATM.

There's no need to close your UK account just because you're leaving the country.

Guest John from Moneycorp

You can open up a bank account a year ahead of arriving in Australia - there is information on National Australia Bank under the banking section/tab at the top of this forum.

For bank to bank transfers, Moneycorp can help - you will get a good exchange rate, no transfer fees regardless of the amount you are transferring, and no commission charges. More info can be read here - http://moneytransfer.pomsinoz.com

Thanks

John

You can open up a bank account a year ahead of arriving in Australia - there is information on National Australia Bank under the banking section/tab at the top of this forum.

For bank to bank transfers, Moneycorp can help - you will get a good exchange rate, no transfer fees regardless of the amount you are transferring, and no commission charges. More info can be read here - http://moneytransfer.pomsinoz.com

Thanks

John

Thanks everyone for the input. I have opened a NAB account online and received read only access. My transfers are reflecting on the Online Interface...

Hoping to land in Sydney in May this year. Feeling more relaxed now..

Archived