How much are cars

JULIE RYCROFT

No I was wanting a cheap run around that would do me a couple of months till I get a better one, what I ment was, if you buy a cheap car worth less than a grand in the UK would you pay more over there

Yes. Much more. I sold a P reg 1997 Fiesta in 2009 for 800 quid, bought 91 mazda 121 here for $1500 same year..you pay more for second hand cars here

It was a shock to the system when I first started shopping for a wee runabout for my wife. If you want cheap then expect very high mileage on the odo, but on the flip side, cars do last longer here due to less rust so people do value them higher. Also expect older cars to have some faded paint, sunlight damaged interiors, dented panels, and several families of spiders living inside the wing mirrors. :-)

Guest Guest66881
No I was wanting a cheap run around that would do me a couple of months till I get a better one, what I ment was, if you buy a cheap car worth less than a grand in the UK would you pay more over there

Just to give you an idea of Perth's second hand car prices.

http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?sortby=~Price&offset=0&q=(((((SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20cars%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20cars%5D)%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20seller%20cars%5D)%26(State%7B%3D%7D%5BWestern%20Australia%5D%7B%26%7DRegion%7B%3D%7D%5BPerth%5D))%26Service%3D%5BCarsales%5D)%26Price%3Drange%5B0..2500%5D)&silo=stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel&cpw=1

I think we did quite well with ours. My old grandad (rip) told me to ignore the cars age but look how many mile/k's and what history it has with it. A newer high mile uncared for car will not give you a lot more problems than a low mile well loved and serviced car. Our 2010 vw golf tdi highline with sport pack was circa $18k with 51,000k''s full service history etc. not had a single issue and possibly will be up for sale shortly.

Do do your homework, some brands are expensive, Holden and Ford work out very cheap and can represent good value.

S

I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that a $18k 5 year old car isn't the cheap runabout that the OP is considering.

A decent comparison would be to search on Carsales for the same type of car they currently have (or aspire to having for their available funds in the UK). Then look to see what the spread of pricing across that range is worth in Aus.

We sold a 10 year old Diahatsu when we left back in 2010. It had a few scrapes, some rust, but was taxed and MOT'd. Got about £500 in a quick sale. Same car in Melbourne ranged from about $5k to $7k at the time. Major shock!!

Sold my Suzuki 750 bike for £1100 (going rate at the time, not a quick sale). Same bike over here in Aus is roughly $5000.

Keep scouring the sales ads and online usual sites. Every now and then you will get a cheap deal.

I managed to get a 1998 Ford Festiva 1.5L with very low mileage for its age. $2400 with RWC from a small dealer. It's been a faultless little runabout for my wife for the past 5 years.

When you do find one, remember that it's all about the haggling for the best price. I've seen some bargains on 2nd hand car forecourts and if you can get a service and a price reduction, it'll all help.

A number of of people also recommended getting cars that were not European brands as they can cost slightly more to fix.

Don't forget you also have to pay stamp duty on used cars in Australia, about 3% the value of the car. If buying from a dealer try and negotiate this off the total price. You'll find more competitive price points with private sales.

• 2 months later...
Im gonna need to buy a cheap car when I get to Perth in September, does anyone know what I am expected to pay for a second hand car

There's NOTHING cheap in Perth or Australia. Get a car that's got long Rego,and a RWC. Small 4 cylinder cars are very expensive.Big Cars are cheaper.A 94 Ford Falcon In good nick.Maybe $3500

As has been said expect to pay considerably more for a similar car, also things like registration and stamp duty. It used to be said that cars were more expensive because they don't rust like they do in the UK but to be honest it's pretty rare to see rust on a modern car over here now, that's a thing of the past. Look on Ebay and try and get something with long rego.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived