strange question I know but......

Guest gothicqueen

Guest gothicqueen

Hi Guys,

I know this is going to sound odd but how do the Ozzies react to people who look shall we say a little different???

Im an ageing goth, I know at my age I should grow out of it and get rid of the peircings and dye my hair from purple to something more natural but..... after 20 years of being this way I just cant beocme 'normal'!

Ive never had an issue in the Uk getting employment, I currently work as a careers and employment advisor with the prison and probation service (advising ex offenders that is)

so my question is, am I going to have to change to gain employment when we get to Oz?

I know it probably seems an unimportant thing to some people but this is who I am and I am worried that If I have to change its going to really have a negative effect on me :v_SPIN:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a club in Broadbeach, (Gold Coast) called Draculas. Dracula's Cabaret Restaurant

They have a nightclub and put on gothic cabaret shows. They were recently advertising for staff, and tattoo's, piercings etc were an advantage- so if you get stuck for work....:biglaugh:

You can't be anything other than who you are mate, nor should you be, and tbh, I think you'll be right! There's a more laid back attitude in general.

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I can't get a job myself, so am not the right person to know what is wanted!

Good luck from a fellow manc (ish! Oldham!)

Jo x

Guest gothicqueen

wow that sounds perfect!!!! shame we are not there yet

weve been googling for nightclubs and such like as other than my family that is going to be the main thing I miss!

I live in Audenshaw, I work in Oldham probation too!!

wow that sounds perfect!!!! shame we are not there yet

weve been googling for nightclubs and such like as other than my family that is going to be the main thing I miss!

I live in Audenshaw, I work in Oldham probation too!!

There are no proper nightclubs, it's biz. Maybe you'll be better in Brisbane than in the suburbs like us! Dracula's does look wicked, but we have no babysitters :cry:. Hope you get sorted soon,

Jo x

Guest gothicqueen

LOL thats where a 15 year old daughter comes in handy..........! saying that at the moment her social calender is more interesting than ours!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest guest12791
Hi Guys,

I know this is going to sound odd but how do the Ozzies react to people who look shall we say a little different???

Im an ageing goth, I know at my age I should grow out of it and get rid of the peircings and dye my hair from purple to something more natural but..... after 20 years of being this way I just cant beocme 'normal'!

Ive never had an issue in the Uk getting employment, I currently work as a careers and employment advisor with the prison and probation service (advising ex offenders that is)

so my question is, am I going to have to change to gain employment when we get to Oz?

I know it probably seems an unimportant thing to some people but this is who I am and I am worried that If I have to change its going to really have a negative effect on me :v_SPIN:

Hello there,

my daughter who is twenty is also in to lets say Gothic art! shes fab! From spending a year in Brisbane can i tell you she gained confidence, grew in personality and expressed herself as an individual without all the usual hatred and comments that she used to get in leeds/wakefield. In brisbane she worked in a busy costume hire shop and also spent time dressing up TV presenters organising events such as river festivals etc. The only reason that she has returned to england is to train as an art teacher, she also works part time at the theatre, every day she looks forward to going back to the relaxed atmosphere of brisbane where no one cares what you wear.There are loads of jobs in laid back west end and stones corner which have numerous gothic wears and best of all the valley, where everyone just hangs out.

You be yourself and never change for anyone, gothic art is fabulous and as a mother who wears "pink and pale blue" iam proud of people who are individual who express themselves.

Draculas is a great cabaret show and restauraunt, but there are numerous jobs you would love in brisy. Check out stones corner!

Dear Mrs Gothic Queen, We wouldnt want you any other way than the way you are. I am sure the Aussies will love you.

Gotta check out that club it sounds fab !!

Oh and anyone near where we may be going I have a 16 (17 in Oct) year old son that will be available for babysitting, so get out and enjoy !!

Kimx

I think you will have more grief when they find out your a pom!!!! lol.

I think you will get looked at a little funny by some, but everyone does if they stand out, no disrespect to you.

Hope that helps and doesn't put you off, also I know Melbourne has quite a few cabaret restaurants so maybe you could travel Australia doing all the shows lol

Geoffrey

Guest gothicqueen

thanks for that!!!!

Gosh this cheered me up abit, it was a while ago I posted this.

Im used to people looking at me as though Im abit odd, especially when I go into prison (to work LOL) they are not used to anyone who looks a bit different. I get asked all sorts of stuff of them, like are you a vampire Miss, or are you a druid Miss. when I tell them Im actually a witch their jaws drop to the floor, and they work really well in the lessons, last time I was at Risley we ended up talking about ghost hunting and the prison officer who I was working with said that a couple of them had nightmares....... tough criminals that they are!

The club sounds great, we have one similar here in Manchester called Hellfire, which we are honory members of, so get free meals and stuff and that was one of the big things I was going to miss, at least I will have an equivelent in Oz!!!

Tad your daughters job sounds fab, I so would love to do something like that! (if I dont get my job rubbing suncream in the surfers that is!!)

Guest Mel.R
Hi Guys,

I think you both look fab!!!!!! and as they should know it's all about who you are that's important. Don't ever change to suit others.

Mx

Guest moonraker1961

Dear Gothic queen,

Hi would just like to say I don't think anyone would worry too much.I lived in Adelaide (suburbs)for a while,well 25 years to be precise.I class myself as a hippy,but have toned down the dress sense over the years lol Well no-one really took much notice of me,and then we moved to a smallish country town in the Adelaide Hills where we lived for 5 years.I remember my kids first day of school,they had school uniforms on,plaits in their hair,school shoes...and me?I had a long tie dye cheesecloth dress,sandals,and a head band lol.Much to my surprise when I picked the kids up,there were about 10 other Mum's dressed pretty much like me lol.We soon become firm friends,and yes I guess at times we did look abit odd (wish I had some photo's)but all in good fun.The funniest thing was one day I said to my mates (we were into all kinds of stuff)"I am going to ring the office of Swami Govindananda (well known aussie spiritual guru)and see if he'll come to my house for a meditation workshop?They all laughed and said now way would he turn up.I rang,spoke to him and sure enough he booked a time and day.I had about 30 people in my loungeroom.Then he pulled up outside,and he was wearing long orange robes (lol)the neighbours well I can't imagine what they were thinking?lol Its was the best day,and I still keep in touch with him even now (this happened years ago)So yeah I think aussies are abit more liberal in that way.Every time I visit Glastonbury now I "dress up"lol Go Gothic Queen,strutt your stuff and stand proud.(My best mate is a herbalists in Oz and gives me great tips,at the mo I am swinging between pagan/buddhism lol lol(I'll find my path one day)PS My two daughters were goths,so yeah totally understand where you're coming from xx You'll be finexx

Guest gothicqueen

I still get odd looks at school even after taking the kids there for years, I remember when my daughter was a toddler in a pram, i was waiting at the bus stop and it was chucking it down with rain, so I was trying to fold the pram up and struggle with a squirming wet toddler at the same time, there was an old dear who lived across the road from me at the bus stop and I asked her if she would mind holding Amelia while I folded up the pram, she gave me this look as if to say 'Ive left my rubber gloves at home I couldnt possibly hold that' she had hold of and I got the pram down and sat down and took Amelia off her and she said to me, Oh I am really surprised that neither of you smell!!!!!! I was like WHAT! apparently just because of the way I dress she assumed that we would both be a bit on the whiffy side, after that she made all sorts of excuses to 'pop over' to our house, first I think it was cos she wanted to be nosey and see what kind of dump I was bringing my daughter up in, after that we became really close and she couldnt do enough for us. She said that I had changed her opinion of people 'like me' and I was a 'nice girl under all that muck' (she meant makeup Im a very clean girl honest!!!!) Amelia is really funny about it now, she always asks me to go to school open days 'gothed up' more than normal, she goes to a private school, where money talks if you know what I mean. She told her form tutor I was a goth and he said 'I dont think so Amelia' so when he met me he was a bit flustered and said to her 'ah I see what you mean' and loads of her teachers ask me if Ive come instead of Amelias Mum.

Another time my friend and I and both our kids went out and she ran her own business and had this bright orange transit van, we'd parked up in a car park and as we got out of the car the parking attendant came up to us and said 'you cant stay here' so we were like, 'but weve put a ticket on the car' and he came out with all this stuff about washing facilities and where would we go to the toilet and we couldnt stay there over night! I normally just laugh it off, but my friend really lost it with him and said just cos we use a abit of hairdye doesnt make us homeless. He was gobsmacked when she told him we didnt live in a commune and that we both had full time well paid jobs and mortgages to go with it, he went away with his tail between his legs I can tell you!

So Im hoping after over 20 years of prejudice in this country, Australia will be a breeze...............

I so dont want to have to become mousy brown and wear beige, its just so not me!

Guest moonraker1961

Great post gothicqueen!lol. Once again in Adelaide I took the girls shopping,we were in a lift and as usual I was wearing my alternative clothing,the lift stopped to letp someone else in and this old man stood next to us.He looked me up and down and said "I can tell you are a really good Mum"lol I think personally you'll be fine hon,don't worry.Even when I was at high school in Adelaide many years ago we had an assortment of hippies,surfies,rockers,skinheads and that was just in one class lol !!!! I guess I have toned down my dress sense over the years but ocassionally let loose lol.

Guest guest12791
thanks for that!!!!

Gosh this cheered me up abit, it was a while ago I posted this.

Im used to people looking at me as though Im abit odd, especially when I go into prison (to work LOL) they are not used to anyone who looks a bit different. I get asked all sorts of stuff of them, like are you a vampire Miss, or are you a druid Miss. when I tell them Im actually a witch their jaws drop to the floor, and they work really well in the lessons, last time I was at Risley we ended up talking about ghost hunting and the prison officer who I was working with said that a couple of them had nightmares....... tough criminals that they are!

The club sounds great, we have one similar here in Manchester called Hellfire, which we are honory members of, so get free meals and stuff and that was one of the big things I was going to miss, at least I will have an equivelent in Oz!!!

Tad your daughters job sounds fab, I so would love to do something like that! (if I dont get my job rubbing suncream in the surfers that is!!)

We are heading back to brisy too! i will show you some fab shops! and when my daughter arrives we will chill out at draculars! keep in touch tad (annemarie) x

Guest gothicqueen
We are heading back to brisy too! i will show you some fab shops! and when my daughter arrives we will chill out at draculars! keep in touch tad (annemarie) x

Sounds good to me! we are hoping to be there byt his time next year so Ill start saving for the shopping trip now!!!

Surely the whole point of dressing in your own style is to stand out from the crowd. Be proud and your never too old to "Goth". Look at Ozzy Osbourne! Hes still fab!

I am an employment law advisor and I do it all over the telephone so no one knows what I look like! (completely boring and so called normal by the way!) Much rather stand out from the crowd but no confidence. :goofy:

Guest Ms_Fi

My girlfriend is goth and currently has black and purple checkerboard hair, various facial piercings and 9 tats.

People in Oz are much more accepting of alternative lifestyles than over here in the UK - the only problem she has is with visible tats and employment, also most places want facial piercings removed or covered.

As you can imagine we make a rather distinctive couple in our little town - I'm blonde and wear pastels most of the time and she's 10 years younger than me and the kids reckon Abby from NCIS is based on her!!

Guest gothicqueen

People in Oz are much more accepting of alternative lifestyles than over here in the UK - the only problem she has is with visible tats and employment, also most places want facial piercings removed or covered.

!

She sounds just like me LOL only 15 years younger!!!!!

Are the problems she has had with employment been over here or when is Oz. My tats are on my back so can cover them, but really wanting to get something on my arm before we go (we have always used the same artist so know his work) but if its going to be a hinderance maybe better to leave it.............

Guest gothicqueen
Surely the whole point of dressing in your own style is to stand out from the crowd. Be proud and your never too old to "Goth". Look at Ozzy Osbourne! Hes still fab!

I am an employment law advisor and I do it all over the telephone so no one knows what I look like! (completely boring and so called normal by the way!) Much rather stand out from the crowd but no confidence. :goofy:

You know the funny thing is I went through a phaze for about 3 months when I thought I should grow up and become a 'mumsy' and my confidence hit rock bottom, as soon as I went back to me I became my normal self again.

I am proud of who I am and what I dress like, along with my pagan beliefs, my youngest son told his teacher 'my mummys a witch' and she said now Will thats not a nice thing to say about your Mum, she spoke to me the next day about it, and I told her yes I am, so I got invited in school to do fairy spells with the kids for halloween which was great, and shes asked me to do all sorts of little spells for her since!

I thinkits justa nother one of those worries isnt it? we are moving to the other side of the world, without jobs and very little money with the way the housing market it at the moment so want to make sure I dont hamper any chances because of my appearance, I suppose I could be pursuded to maybe dye my hair just one colour and lose my nose ring and black nails and eyeliner..............................:shocked:

But then my kids would walk past me in the street!!!!!

Actually maybe not such a bad idea!!!!

Guest Ms_Fi

She had problems in Oz with the dragon she's got on her foot as it would be visible through strappy shoes - like she's the sort to wear strappy shoes!! It came up in an interview when they asked where her tats were (it's easier to ask where they're not!). Her tattooist won't tattoo faces, hands or necks as employers get a bit funny about them. Her lower leg gothic fairy wasn't a problem as she can wear long pants so she got away with that one!

Unfortunately she had a nervous breakdown within a month of arriving in the UK so hasn't worked over here but I'm assuming she'd have the same restrictions.

I've got a full back piece and a lower back design (and no it's not a tramp stamp before you start wondering!!) so can cover mine easily - as long as they're not visible in interview type clothes I reckon it's fine.

She's an odd one my OH (ever seen a Goth belly dancing??) but she never had any problems in Australia with her clothes/hair/tats.

Guest gothicqueen

whats a 'tramp stamp' LOL

The Uk is enough to do that to anyone, I hope she is happier once she gets back to Oz!

Its funny that Ive never had any issues here with getting work, but maybe thats cos Im a good bulls****er! LOL Not too sure how they will take my ramblings over there!

OOh its a gothic fairy sat on a mushroom I want for my arm!

Guest Ms_Fi

A tramp stamp is the stereotypical butterfly on the lower back, very over popular and therefore very tacky.

Hope's fairy is a Myka Jelina fairy (Sasha) - she's gorgeous and is about 10 hours of work all in but definitely worth it.

- Tattoo Gallery/"Sasha" tattoo

Guest gothicqueen

wow that is amazing, bet it was blerdy painful on the back of her leg too

Ah know what you mean about the tramp stamp now, butterflys, roses and dolphins................yummy and they have to be about an inch long and totally pointless......! Not just for lower backs, shoulders and tummys too...............

(apologies to anyone who has one!)

Wow I LOVE that tattoo.....

I used to be a goth many years ago but grew up into a boring "normal" (allegedly) person lol

I think a hint of rebellion (or maybe just a mid life crisis) is kicking in 'cos I am itching to get a tattoo but cannot settle on a design...I mean...it's for ever....it's got to be good lol

And no....I don't want one of these "tramp stamps" MsFi mentioned (never heard THAT expression before lol)

Guest gothicqueen

I think we are going to have to have a Gothfest over in Oz, and all the lapsed goths and closet goths are going to have come and show their true colours (black and a bit of purple or red obviosley!!!!)

It could be a bit like the old punks picnics I used to go on in my youth........... (way back when LOL)

so whos up for a gothsgettogether then......! Emos, hippies and anyone verging on strangeness is welcome too (so think that covers just about the entire PIO members then)

Archived