Are people still moving here ?

Angela Claire

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Office vacancy rates at the highest they've been in 20 years.

The terrace (CBD hub) has tumble weeds blowing down it.

Maybe they have just built too many offices...

Er the people that work there will though won't they

Yeah being unemployed isn't fun. Speaking to uneducated recruitment people probably being the least enjoyable part.

I know I would not move to WA at the moment.

The he vacancy rates publicised are for the CBD. I walked through West Perth last week and would say two thirds of the offices had a for lease sign.

The he rumor in the mining industry is that Rio are about to fire up to 15% of the workforce. That will decimate Perth.

I know I would not move to WA at the moment.

The he vacancy rates publicised are for the CBD. I walked through West Perth last week and would say two thirds of the offices had a for lease sign.

The he rumor in the mining industry is that Rio are about to fire up to 15% of the workforce. That will decimate Perth.

Unfortunately Oil & Gas is also going through a major downturn, with lots of redundancies (a large percentage of FIFO based in Perth) and can see a few offices will close down with some companies moving away from Australia in the coming months. I am also looking down the barrel at redundancy...

I think you live in a different Perth to me. Fair enough about the office vacancy rates but to say there are tumbleweeds blowing down the terrace is a bit over the top.:laugh: The times I've been into Perth recently it's been the liveliest I've seen it since I've lived here and I've been here since 92. There are pubs and restaurants galore and most of them seem to be packed. The new ones, like the rooftop bars are thriving, Perth festival has been busy, people out and about all over the place, loads of things going off, most free. My friend said he went to see a band in the UWA grounds on Sunday night, I didn't even know it was on and he said it was in the Subiaco magazine.

Sure there has been a slowdown in mining and oil and gas but it's still a massive employer for FIFO workers. Whatever people are still managing to do in Perth there still seems to be plenty of money around for people to go out enjoying themselves. Maybe the developers just overestimated how much office space and apartments would be needed. Perth was packed with cranes for ages and still is, so there is still a lot of building and development happening. Can't get enough brickies, plasterers, sparkies apparently.

So yes, I suppose people are still coming here.:cool:

I think you live in a different Perth to me. Fair enough about the office vacancy rates but to say there are tumbleweeds blowing down the terrace is a bit over the top.:laugh: The times I've been into Perth recently it's been the liveliest I've seen it since I've lived here and I've been here since 92. There are pubs and restaurants galore and most of them seem to be packed. The new ones, like the rooftop bars are thriving, Perth festival has been busy, people out and about all over the place, loads of things going off, most free. My friend said he went to see a band in the UWA grounds on Sunday night, I didn't even know it was on and he said it was in the Subiaco magazine.

Sure there has been a slowdown in mining and oil and gas but it's still a massive employer for FIFO workers. Whatever people are still managing to do in Perth there still seems to be plenty of money around for people to go out enjoying themselves. Maybe the developers just overestimated how much office space and apartments would be needed. Perth was packed with cranes for ages and still is, so there is still a lot of building and development happening. Can't get enough brickies, plasterers, sparkies apparently.

So yes, I suppose people are still coming here.:cool:

Plus surely migration figures would be a much better figure to use than office vacancies...

That's if it was a genuine question. I just took it as trolling

My OH works in Oil & Gas and where he works different parts of the construction stage require different skills so while yes a fair few have gone, they have been replaced with another skill set to continue the next phase. Also where he works there are just as many the FIFO from the east coast and even America and the UK. When this particular project come to an end there are two more in the pipeline so it's not that bleak.

Guest Guest66881
Yeah being unemployed isn't fun. Speaking to uneducated recruitment people probably being the least enjoyable part.

You read it too:laugh:

Guest Guest66881
I don't know any uneducated recruitment people, I have a masters degree myself and bachelors is minimum industry standard.

Are you working at the minute?

I don't know any uneducated recruitment people, I have a masters degree myself and bachelors is minimum industry standard.

You would astound me if that is industry norm. I have personally dealt with a few and am hard pressed to think when ever went away satisfied. I doubt very much if many have degrees although saying that doesn't necessary have a lot of meaning in an ever conveyor belt degree world.

Oh well if you'd rather bitch about my chosen profession than discuss the economic climate i'll leave you to it.

I thought I might be able to engage in intelligent discussion, clearly I've come to the wrong place in more ways than one.

Apologies, the OP didn't read to wanting intelligent debate. I honestly thought you were trolling as the question you were asking was only loosely based to what you wrote.

Having said that Recruitment/Real Estate Agents and Car Salesmen are always fair game.

Oh well if you'd rather bitch about my chosen profession than discuss the economic climate i'll leave you to it.

I thought I might be able to engage in intelligent discussion, clearly I've come to the wrong place in more ways than one.

Ok, so, how many of your ads are 100% genuine?

how many applicants do you get back to who send through there cv?

and I am an ex manager in the recruitment industry.

No bitching on these forums. Just truthful observations from the front. Never mind back to the question Are people still coming here? Of course they are coming just at reduced numbers. More leaving as well. But then the population boom of the previous several years was of course unsustainable. 2012 was a shocker for those seeking to rent. Around me were lines of twenty to thirty people at rental home opens. No longer I noticed houses with For Let signs still being vacant after a month. That really shows something is amiss. In some cases the owners have been slow the readjust the rent levels which is part of the reason but a couple of years ago people were offering above the advertised rent to secure a place near the CBD.

I'm reasonably sure I read a 15% decline in international arrivals and almost complete stop to Eastern States trans migration. I expect those rates will be higher in next quarters figures. CBD vacancies are back up to 90's levels which will further increase when new office space becomes available later in the year and next. Rates have come down which has seen some relocating from West Perth to more prime and central real estate and better rates. Hence the void in that area.