Buying a Holiday Home / Rental

North to South

Hi,

We are soon to be moving to Melbourne and in addition to our main house purchase we are considering buying a holiday home that we can use in the summer months/weekends or rent out when we're not using it. We currently live in the UK and are fortunate to own a second home in Portugal that we can get to within about 4 hours should we choose to go there for a long weekend, but mainly we rent it out to holidaymakers. Being new to Australia we are not sure where to look and what would be the main areas we should consider - Ideally, we would like somewhere that is within 3 hours of Melbourne so that it is easy for us to get to of a weekend, but also in a good area where we could rent it out if we chose that option.

It may seem odd when we're going to be living by a beach to buy another holiday home elsewhere, but it's something that we've enjoyed having the benefit of and it is nice if we want just to be able to get away for a weekend. We also hope that it might be a good investment....Can't be worse than Portugal..... :(

We may completely change our mind when we get there, but my wife is quite keen so I'm keen to explore what's available.

All help / comments would be most appreciated and if you think we're mad then please let us know that too :)

When i was at uni, I had a mate whose parents owned a holiday home on the hill in yallingup. Fantastic views. Cheap as chips at the time. Some of the most expensive real estate in wa now.

If you find a place you love, then it can make sense.

Hi,

We are soon to be moving to Melbourne and in addition to our main house purchase we are considering buying a holiday home that we can use in the summer months/weekends or rent out when we're not using it. We currently live in the UK and are fortunate to own a second home in Portugal that we can get to within about 4 hours should we choose to go there for a long weekend, but mainly we rent it out to holidaymakers. Being new to Australia we are not sure where to look and what would be the main areas we should consider - Ideally, we would like somewhere that is within 3 hours of Melbourne so that it is easy for us to get to of a weekend, but also in a good area where we could rent it out if we chose that option.

It may seem odd when we're going to be living by a beach to buy another holiday home elsewhere, but it's something that we've enjoyed having the benefit of and it is nice if we want just to be able to get away for a weekend. We also hope that it might be a good investment....Can't be worse than Portugal..... :(

We may completely change our mind when we get there, but my wife is quite keen so I'm keen to explore what's available.

All help / comments would be most appreciated and if you think we're mad then please let us know that too :)

There used to be a poster on another forum called North2South - their surname was North and I think their christian names were Simon and Samantha - are you guys one and the same? If so will be good to catch up with you when you get to Melbourne.

BB

We are soon to be moving to Melbourne and in addition to our main house purchase we are considering buying a holiday home that we can use in the summer months/weekends or rent out when we're not using it - Ideally, we would like somewhere that is within 3 hours of Melbourne so that it is easy for us to get to of a weekend, but also in a good area where we could rent it out if we chose that option.

Are you actually going to be close to a proper beach in Melbourne?

Whatever, since weather in Melbourne can be depressingly English at times, a holiday home might be a good idea. Homes in the country are dirt cheap in most of Australia, but it sounds like you're after a beach destination - they are much more sought after.

When you say "within 3 hours" I assume you mean flying, because you had to fly to Portugal. Obvious choices are the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, or Coffs Harbour in NSW, both of which you can fly to from Melbourne.

Depends what you want to do at your holiday home. If you want to swim in the ocean I would rather be in Queensland as water is freezing down Melbourne way in comparison. Queensland is a great option for Victorians in winter as when it gets cold there in winter it is still reasonable warm and pleasant up here.

Depends what you want to do at your holiday home. If you want to swim in the ocean I would rather be in Queensland as water is freezing down Melbourne way in comparison. Queensland is a great option for Victorians in winter as when it gets cold there in winter it is still reasonable warm and pleasant up here.

I would agree that in winter Queensland is far more attractive for sea swimmers.

However in summer and Autumn you cant swim in the sea in much of Queensland because of Jellyfish. Whereas here in Melbourne the sea is in the low - mid 20s, no stingers and no sharks!

BB

You might want to wait and see what your Melbourne house costs first - 11 new suburbs were just added to the "median price over a million" list!

More people drive to their holiday homes than fly here - airfares being much more expensive than an Easyjet offer. After you come try out a few places for a weekend - get a feel for the beaches, the towns, the commute etc. It will also depend which side of Melbourne you live.

It is certainly a lovely thing to have, and plenty of people do it.

Archived