Top 5 Places to See when we arrive in Melbourne

richselina

Hi,

We are now just months away from our arrival and aside from the moving process (getting a TRN/Medicare/Drivers Licence/car/House etc) I wondered where are the first five places we should visit to get a good feel of life in and around Melbourne for us and our 9 year old daughter.

We still haven't finalised exactly where we'll be living as my wife likes the houses in Santuary Lakes and I like Mount Martha and the Hills, but this small thing aside it would be great to read up on some places we should visit.

Looking forward to some interesting things to do.

Thanks, Rich

It will really depend on where you are situate, as you are probably aware Mount Martha and Sanctuary Lakes are a long way from each other. One on on one side of the Bay and the other on the other side. Its 200km around the bay so its a big area. Getting the local feel will also depend on individual taste. I think I would just settle in first get the important stuff done and take it day by day. Making up your mind where to live will take some time. Good luck.

I agree with Petals.

Get yourself sorted and learn where the local ammenities are first.

Then go to the local tourist information and ask.

Nothing is going anywhere, it will still be available to see when you are ready.

Unless its the Frankston sand sculptures. They come and go between Christmas and easter each year.

If you really want some day trips when you first arrive, go for a drive. Pick a general direction and see what you find. Hills to the east, beaches to the south, city in the middle. Vinyards pretty much any direction!

Nothing to stop you having some fun whilst getting all the boring stuff to do at the same time.

Make a day out of it when you go house hunting. Having access to a car helps, but you can plan stuff around public transport too. Many adverts for houses will mention transportation links, parks and amenities nearby. There's plenty to do in the evenings too, especially in the warmer months, parks, beaches, usually some some sort of event or celebration somewhere in the city. Lots of good cycling paths to explore, I bought a kayak for paddling around the bayside beaches, lots of nice lookouts with city and Sea views up in the hills, plenty of refreshment stops to try out in the city laneways etc etc.

Here's a link for some things to do mainly in Melbourne, but some around Melbourne too. http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255100-Activities-Melbourne_Victoria.html

Do a google for things to do in the areas where you will be looking at for living long term.

Hi,

We are now just months away from our arrival and aside from the moving process (getting a TRN/Medicare/Drivers Licence/car/House etc) I wondered where are the first five places we should visit to get a good feel of life in and around Melbourne for us and our 9 year old daughter.

We still haven't finalised exactly where we'll be living as my wife likes the houses in Santuary Lakes and I like Mount Martha and the Hills, but this small thing aside it would be great to read up on some places we should visit.

Looking forward to some interesting things to do.

Thanks, Rich

Get yourself up to the observation deck at Eureka Tower (just behind the Langham Hotel on Southbank).....it gives you a great perspective of the City, it's layout and positioning within the wider bay area and suburbs. While in the City, make your way to the MCG....do a tour and visit the National Sporting Museum. There are many, many more things to see and do in and around the City. Melbourne Zoo is excellent, Victoria market is always worth a bit of a mooch around and there's a really good craft market at St Kilda on Sundays which you can tie in with a beach trip and Luna Park funfair. Don't leave without at least looking at the cakes on Acland St......but beware, once you've looked....you'll buy!

Guest The Pom Queen

You have to take time out otherwise you would go insane. Even when we had for the house sorted we headed off on a holiday before the kids settled in to school and us work.

Philip Island is lovely, go and see the Penguins. If you fancy a few days away head down to Wilsons Prom especially if you want to see the wildlife. Also you have the Great Ocean Road again I'd recommend a weekend there. Sovereign Hill is great.

Philip island is a lovely place, but generally over-populated on weekends and holidays, so can feel a but crammed. Make sure you do the seal island tour just past the penguin parade, and also head to the north of the island, a town named cowes, for a walk along the jetty. There are some trails for koala watching but the koala population is pretty sparse now.

Melbourne has 3 zoos....the city zoo is quite good, healesville sanctuary is a little more tame but great for those who prefer birds, butterflies and plants, etc. I find the werribee open range zoo the best....do the open top drive out with rhinos etc...a lot of fun.

Melbourne city itself has some interesting museums and cultural centres speckled around the place. Eureka tower is probably worth the entrance fee for the view out in all directions.

a great way to spend a sunny day is to do the eureka trip, then walk down 200 metres to Southbank, where you can catch the ferry out to Williamstown, a lovely little bayside town with great gelato shops and all types of restaurants.

another great day out is to do werribee zoo, then werribee park mansion, then shadowfax winery in the one day.

highly recommended is a weekend jaunt along the great ocean road, stopping off at seaside towns like Torquay, anglesea and port fairy. You can see the twelve apostles as you drive.

further to the north, but under appreciated and under utilised....take a 2 hour drive to the north to the township of echuca. It is lovely. Spend a day meandering through town, and have lunch at a pub named Oscar w. Make sure you get a seat out by the Murray river side....overlooking magnificent gumtrees and the finest natural Australians you will see

When we first came we used to go up to the Dandenongs a lot-just a local drive so an afternoon or morning would do. Have a look at CloudeHill nursery up there, lovely. Warrandye is nice too for a morning, walking along the towpath by the river and then into the little craft and coffee shops. Warburton is another place, after first visiting the lotus gardens ( seasonal so check they are open first)- you could be in Bali in there.

Hi,

The city centre itself is lovely and definitely spend some time here.

Our 9 year old twin daughters love the beach and the bay, so definitely take her there!

BB

I will take a different angle - for seeing life in and around Melbourne, go to

Degraves Lane - city centre cafe culture

Lygon Street - for Italian food and pizzas (and Readings bookshop)

Brunswick Street - for bohemian culture

Footscray - for ethnic diversity and African food

Victoria Street - for Vietnamese culture and food

Melbourne is about people, diversity and food. By all means do a couple of tourist attractions too, but bear in mind that once you've done them, you've done them. Melbourne doesn't have that many of them and if you are here for a few years, you want to still have things left to discover.

Archived