Singapore air

Danny842003

Sorry if you are fed up with being asked this question but i want as most up to date answer i can get. My case worker said today my visa will be granted next month when I have left my job so its time to start looking at flights.

I have read before that Singapore Airlines will give you extra baggage if you are emigrating how do I go about this? I'm going on a 300 subclass visa and as far as I am aware nothing is placed in my passport for this.

Call them and ask. These "migration fares" aren't available online.

Cathay Pacific also offer them, with 40kg of allowance. I was talking to them about it today - the number is 0344 800 2777.

It seems these offers are only for people moving out for the first time, possibly when validating a PR visa. They will ask you to send them your visa grant letter. Aus visas aren't placed physically in the passports any more anyway, unless you pay extra for a sticker when you get there.

Emirates and Singapore offer 30kg as standard for Economy class on their UK-Aus routes. CP is only 20kg.

Emirates aren't offering migration fares (I called them today), and it seems Qantas aren't either.

There's a bit more info in this current thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/226827-migration-airline-fares.html

My partner and I flew out of London with Singapore Airlines 3 weeks ago. He is on subclass 309. We emailed Singapore Airlines before flying to have written confirmation that my partner could have the extra luggage allowance. The lady checking us in had never heard of it before, so it helped that we had a copy of that email with us. She put us through with no dramas. As everyone above has said, you need to be flying on an unvalidated visa to get the 40kg. Good luck!

My partner and I flew out of London with Singapore Airlines 3 weeks ago. He is on subclass 309. We emailed Singapore Airlines before flying to have written confirmation that my partner could have the extra luggage allowance. The lady checking us in had never heard of it before, so it helped that we had a copy of that email with us. She put us through with no dramas. As everyone above has said, you need to be flying on an unvalidated visa to get the 40kg. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply do you by any chance have the email address you used to hand?

I can vouch for what is said above - finally went Singapore as CP need an unvalidated visa.

Nothing elsewhere seemed to work.

Big thumbs up to the service desk at Singapore Airlines as our computer connection hung during a three part booking and they sorted everything out brilliantly.

Bear

I can vouch for what is said above - finally went Singapore as CP need an unvalidated visa.

Nothing elsewhere seemed to work.

Big thumbs up to the service desk at Singapore Airlines as our computer connection hung during a three part booking and they sorted everything out brilliantly.

Bear

Hi Bear,

I have booked Singaporeair for my first validation trip. Have not asked for xtra baggage allowance cos I will be moving permanently later on. From your post I presume we can use a validated Visa to request extra baggage allowance since I will need this most when I move permanently?

Cheers

Nish

Hi Bear,

I have booked Singaporeair for my first validation trip. Have not asked for xtra baggage allowance cos I will be moving permanently later on. From your post I presume we can use a validated Visa to request extra baggage allowance since I will need this most when I move permanently?

Cheers

Nish

No, you can only get the extra baggage on SA on an unvalidated permanent residency visa.

No, you can only get the extra baggage on SA on an unvalidated permanent residency visa.

Not correct, we took on 88kg between 2 of us plus hand luggage which they did not even weight and our PR visa had been validated approx 18 months previously. You simply have to be polite, turn up early and cross your fingers. We did not expect the 88kg more like 65+kg so our surprise helped. SA are one of the most helpful airlines out there although the Aisa Miles is a con as the cheapest economy tickets are not recognised!

I would not recommend what we did but I guess it does show they are able to use their discretion.

S

Not correct, we took on 88kg between 2 of us plus hand luggage which they did not even weight and our PR visa had been validated approx 18 months previously. You simply have to be polite, turn up early and cross your fingers. We did not expect the 88kg more like 65+kg so our surprise helped. SA are one of the most helpful airlines out there although the Aisa Miles is a con as the cheapest economy tickets are not recognised!

I would not recommend what we did but I guess it does show they are able to use their discretion.

As a general rule, the visa should be unvalidated. That you got away with it is lucky, but I certainly wouldn't turn up at the airport expecting to get away with it by simply being polite...if you want to attempt this with a validated visa get in writing or have your baggage allowance updated in the system in advance.

Asia Miles has nothing to do with Singapore Airlines...it's Cathay Pacific's frequent flyer program.

Archived