Visa medical check

Flake

Strip to your underwear, various poking and checking mobility of limbs/joints, check weight, give urine sample for on the spot diabetes test (in the loo), eyesight test, shining a light in the eyes, shining a light in the ears, deep breaths in and out while doc uses the stethoscope to listen to your lungs... that kind of stuff.

Guest Chewitts
Strip to your underwear, various poking and checking mobility of limbs/joints, check weight, give urine sample for on the spot diabetes test (in the loo), eyesight test, shining a light in the eyes, shining a light in the ears, deep breaths in and out while doc uses the stethoscope to listen to your lungs... that kind of stuff.

There is absolutely no reason for you to have to strip to your underware for the examination required.

Guest Chewitts
If over 40 they may want to do. Breast check.

If it is not clinically indicated then they shouldn't......"Breast examination should be conducted if there is a history of breast cancer or breast lumps, or axillary nodes are palpated"

If it is not clinically indicated then they shouldn't......"Breast examination should be conducted if there is a history of breast cancer or breast lumps, or axillary nodes are palpated"

Well I had to have one, no history of Breast cancer or lumps anywhere, 6 years ago now so maybe it's changed or maybe he just wanted to cop a feel :wink::laugh: He said it was the norm for anyone over 40.

There is absolutely no reason for you to have to strip to your underware for the examination required.

@mungbean was pretty spot on with my medical experience (which was done last November in a Bupa Visa Medical centre).

We had to wear blue paper gowns (but only on the top) but at one stage I do remember having to strip off to my underwear. Although I think she was just checking my chest through a stethoscope - can't quite remember.

... which makes me wonder why I stripped down to the underwear. Maybe I didn't have to. Hrmm...

@mungbean was pretty spot on with my medical experience (which was done last November in a Bupa Visa Medical centre).

We had to wear blue paper gowns (but only on the top) but at one stage I do remember having to strip off to my underwear. Although I think she was just checking my chest through a stethoscope - can't quite remember.

... which makes me wonder why I stripped down to the underwear. Maybe I didn't have to. Hrmm...

Hahaha we've all been taken advantage of :laugh:

I got a breast exam too and I was in my early thirties. No history of breast cancer in my family at all. During the exam, the panel doctor touched me like she was having to run her fingers through a bucket of snails or something, and made negative comments about my body that were barely within the confines of medically-appropriate. I walked out of there when it was over and cried in my car. I was really glad it was over. Mine's the only experience I've heard like that, though. Still makes me sad to think back on it, however. Not cool.

When I wend for the medicals for my 190 visa, the doctor first asked me some passport and other medical details. Then did a body check up, for which I have to remove my T shirt. After which he asked me to do a blood test, Urine test and a chest Xray. No need to undress up to underwear in most cases!

Hi - I had the 309/100 medical late in 2013. The things that were covered are:

pee in a bottle for blood sugar test

my height measured

my weight measure

my eyes tested (reading the small letters etc)

my eyes, mouth and ears looked into

my BP taken

my blood taken

my chest and back listened to

some general prodding around - nothing bad but I have no idea what it was for!

reflexes tested

chest x-ray done (this is to check for TB I believe).

I also had something extra done - can't remember what - I think it was extra blood screening because I have got a couple of tattoos.

EDIT: I think I had to wear some some of gown but I can't quite remember, must have blocked it out. But it's all over and done with pretty quickly.

EDIT: oh and if anyone goes to the Marylebone clinic in London, there's a nice little deli/sandwich shop opposite and I recommend the sausage sandwich ;)

Guest Chewitts
I got a breast exam too and I was in my early thirties. No history of breast cancer in my family at all. During the exam, the panel doctor touched me like she was having to run her fingers through a bucket of snails or something, and made negative comments about my body that were barely within the confines of medically-appropriate. I walked out of there when it was over and cried in my car. I was really glad it was over. Mine's the only experience I've heard like that, though. Still makes me sad to think back on it, however. Not cool.

You should report her to the GMC.......if she was like that with you it is doubtful that you are the only one :mad:

Not sure what the GMC is - assuming it's a UK thing? This was in the US so no chance the lovely UK folks on this forum will ever have to deal with her. :) I probably should have reported her, but quite frankly I was worried I wasn't going to pass the medical (I have a couple of chronic conditions) and I didn't want to rock the boat.

But it's all over and done with pretty quickly.

I wish mine was quick! The whole thing took about 3.5hrs which was mostly just waiting around.

To be fair, the computers has crashed in the morning so they had a manual process going and that delayed everything. It didn't help that I gulped a large glass of water to have something to give for the urine sample, only to be waiting around for a long time!

I was in and out of the place (Bridgewater Hospital, in Manchester) in less than an hour.

I even turned up 30 mins early for the appointment, but got seen right away.

Guess I was lucky!

btw I saw Dr Smith there and he was very professional and friendly. Dr Million, who's the other panel doctor working there, also has good reviews on another thread here.

I had one last April, had to strip down to my underwear as the Dr wanted to feel my stomach, no breast exam and i was 46, just X-ray, blood test, height and weight, blood pressure test which was very high so she couldn't send it through i had to see my own Dr the next day have more blood tests to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong, got medication, next week blood pressure normal all blood test normal, the Dr sent the information back and my temporary visa was issued less than 2 weeks later.

Archived