Apply whilst in UK or after I arrive?

MadAuntyPeter

Hi All, (first time poster here)

I am a British / Australian dual national intending to move to WA mid 2015. I can go whenever I want, but my wife will need to apply for, I believe, subclass 309/100. Am I better off applying for this before I move back to Australia or am I okay to turn up without the full VISA having been confirmed. Would gruff looking men frown at me in the immigration queue at the airport?

NB: We've been married over 13 years and it should really just be a formality.

Also, can anyone confirm whether my son, born in England, will have automatic Australian nationality under the validity of my nationality? Would he have to sign up under subclass 101?

Bless you in advance for your answers.

Mad Aunty Peter

Citizenship by decent would be the likely option for your son, this can be done through Australia House in London, once received can apply for Australian Passport. If you received your australian citizenship by decent and have not lived in Australia for 2 years he won't be eligible.

Offshore partner visas are now estimating about 12 months to be granted, but the onshore costs of partner visas are very high. It is possible to lodge offshore partner visa and travel onshore while it is processing as long as you inform your CO. But will need to leave Australia for the visa to be granted.

Depending where in the uk you live, citizenship by decent can (well it did in 2008) be sorted out in Edinburgh as well.

I jumped on a train in Leeds, straight into the centre of Edinburgh, walked 5 minutes to the Aussie mission, took a number, read 2 pages of my novel and was called into the interview.

I stood on the platform less than an hour later waiting for a train home.

No appointments necessary.

It cost the same as a ticket to London, took about 15 minutes longer on the train as well,

but; no tubes across London each way, no appointment needed, no long waits, no stress............

Think the Edinburgh one has closed down and it's just London now. You can apply for citizenship by descent online if son fits certain criteria ( check first in the info as I have just wasted a day filling it in only to find we'd got to apply on paper! Grrr)

We've been together 10 yrs, married nearly 5 and have 2 kids but you still have to jump through all the red tape hoops! You'd think that was enough but better make sure we're both paying the water bill and that we explain who puts the bins out!!

Think the Edinburgh one has closed down and it's just London now. You can apply for citizenship by descent online if son fits certain criteria ( check first in the info as I have just wasted a day filling it in only to find we'd got to apply on paper! Grrr)

We've been together 10 yrs, married nearly 5 and have 2 kids but you still have to jump through all the red tape hoops! You'd think that was enough but better make sure we're both paying the water bill and that we explain who puts the bins out!!

Still much easier than getting an Aussie spouse a vsa for the UK these days.

Archived