How do you rent in Sydney with no credit record?

dkeith109

Hey

We're about to move to Sydney on 189 Visas, so looking for somewhere to live until we can buy.

Despite both being professionals of long standing here in the UK, how can we even prove our income for landlords? we had a mortgage here which was 6 years of credit here, but doesnt seem to count in oz.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

Hey

We're about to move to Sydney on 189 Visas, so looking for somewhere to live until we can buy.

Despite both being professionals of long standing here in the UK, how can we even prove our income for landlords? we had a mortgage here which was 6 years of credit here, but doesnt seem to count in oz.

Your lack of credit record won't be a problem, they even rent to backpackers here. However you've got no chance of securing something before you arrive - not because of your credit rating, but because there is so much competition for rentals, agents don't have to take a risk on people sight unseen.

Thanks Marisa.

We're planning to move in May, and rent somewhere like Meriton for the first few weeks.

Any advice how to find a rental during that time?

Most rentals are advertised on Domain.com.au. When I had a rental unit, I didn't even bother putting it in the newspaper or local papers, I just put it on Domain. So that's your goto site. Most rental properties are open for inspection on Saturdays and occasionally on a day during the week. Most agents won't open it up at other times.

Identify possibles, draw up an itinerary and get to see as many as possible. Most properties are open for only 10 to 15 minutes then the agent is off to the next one, so try to be on time, and be ready to apply on the spot if you like it.

When we returned to Australia I had with me for each inspection:

- my original passport with photocopies for the agent, if required

- same for drivers license

- copies of my work contract showing salary

- a reference from our landlord in New Zealand (won't apply if you've owned obviously, but a letter from your bank saying you've not defaulted on payments should do the same job)

I ended up getting our first place because I had all this stuff ready to go and could fill out the application form on the spot. There is also an online application system called (I think) 1Form, which you can complete once, attach scanned copies of docs to, and then just send off to each property you like from the http://www.realestate.com.au website. When we were looking again a few months ago, I just applied for everything I liked and thought might be suitable, whether I'd yet seen it or not. We ended up being offered a couple of properties, including the one we really wanted. I'm in Melbourne, but the same strategy should work in Sydney.

Good luck.

We are now in a long term let, and yes in both cases as KiwiKaye points out we went in prepped with the forms filled out and photocopies of passport, visa work references etc. We took what we could get initially and now have moved into a long term rental which we love in Leonay. Hope to buy later in the year or early next year when we have everything lined up, just holding off until the oil price recovers to a sustainable level (I work in oil and gas).

• 2 weeks later...

We had friends to look at places. We preapplied online and when friends confirmed was ok we told agent to go ahead. We have to pay upfront (6months) we are still in the UK, I really hope we will like it. I would had prefer to see the house but with 2 young kids we didnt want to be moving around.

In the UK at least, letting agents don't run credit checks. They ask for income details and if you earn enough to cover the rent (+ other outgoings presumably) then they are happy.

EDIT: they will also (always? Not sure) approach employers to verify salary + poss length of service.

Edited by vickyplum