Where to live? Decisions, decisions

Marisawright

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St. Paul's in Bristol is about as opposite to Notting Hill as you can get. The scene of horrendous race riots, prostitution and drugs!

I used to be a police officer in Bristol, I remember being on duty in St Paul's on that fateful day, 2nd April 1980. Etched in my memory forever. Is it still the same though? St Paul's/Montpelier? I heard they became quite trendy although I've never been back.

St. Paul's in Bristol is about as opposite to Notting Hill as you can get. The scene of horrendous race riots, prostitution and drugs!

I'm not saying I would live there now, my point is that I've always lived in inner cities. I lived in St Pauls in the seventies, before the riots - it was largely a West Indian community and known to be a bit rough, but I was on the edge and had no trouble. And in fact, it's not that different from the part of Notting Hill where I lived - the landlord called it Notting Hill, but my place was closer to Ladbroke Grove - homeless people under the flyover, druggies, you name it.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...

What's not to love about anywhere in Devon but for your interests I would move to Bristol. And from there you can visit most of Devon in afternoon or day trips! You are also close to Wilshire or north to Glouncesteshire or on main road to South Wales! Perfect. And if you smile you will make friends so easily. Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
OK so we've finally resolved all the financial issues (I think) and now just waiting for my oh's spouse visa to come through. The next big decision is - where to live?

...Any suggestoins anyone?

Throwing Winchester into the mix. Gorgeous town, 1 hour into London, and it's got Southhampton Airport nearby which is good for getting to France.

Throwing Winchester into the mix. Gorgeous town, 1 hour into London, and it's got Southhampton Airport nearby which is good for getting to France.

Canterbury ?.......i have honestly seen the best and worst of the u.k.....wish I had made a list....but you haven't got family ties then it would be Devon .....even over Cornwall....north yorks....or noryhumbria